Mega Thread The "Will GWS make it" megathread (NO similar threads will be allowed)

Remove this Banner Ad

Apologies for using the word 'scoff'. But thete is a disconnect when assessing AR in NSW.

All your points are valid. But they're mired in current and backward thinking. Vision is important...and sometimes the 'impossible' is worth pursuing.

I was talking about a second team in Syd in the 90's. Crazy stuff.

I was talking about a Sydney player one day captaining tbe Swans. Crazy stuff.

I was talking about the Swans having 50k members back when we hosted the Pies and drew 70k to ANZ. Crazy stuff? Hmm well with 38k on the books today...not so much.

I'm a true expansionist in that I view AR growing. It's not a club view so much as a CODE view, I guess
Nothing to apologise for, dude, it's a good sign when supporters pump their chests...

A few qualifiers in that list though, and I wouldn't call projecting the likelihood in the not so near future that the Sydney teams will still require significant help "backward"...sounds like commonsense in protecting and planning your investment to me...! None of that list is "crazy", and coming from a state where the impossibility of a test cricketer coming from Tassie was well and truly smashed by David Boon, you sure as hell didn't hear any of that from us...

Only because the AFL actually wants them in the league!
There would be those at HQ who can't wait until certain Melbourne based clubs fall over so they can throw even more money and resources into a fluro orange colored rat hole in the name of "expansion".

As poorly managed as the NRL is, at least they respect and support their origins instead of activity trying to destroy them.

As a 3rd generation Balmain fan i call bull on this comment.

Wow we have a mega thread to bash us on and have the same arguments.

Yay :rolleyes:

A few quick things

1- We play in the inner west, true, but last i looked there are no AFL calibre stadiums anywhere else (and the NSW government had no interest in building one)
2- We had nothing but kids and retirees because no one would trade with us, and those that tried to only offered spuds (confirmed by CEO Matthews)
3- Yes the AFL has spent millions of dollars in western sydney, BUT as a club we arent losing that much money due to large sponsorships and a great stadium deal. Does the money the AFL spends on the game in WA, SA, Qld and Vic get included on the other clubs losses??
4- The benefits we got were voted on and offered to us by YOUR clubs. Not our fault. Take it to your own bosses.
Hmmm What else
5- Colours, we arent NSW so Skyblue was always out
6- The Greater name- Well part of ourt sponsor ship is playing games in canberra so can understand why the name is there, it will probably go the moment the deal ends.

Think that about covers it

As a 3rd generation Balmain fan i call bull on this comment.
maybe if all the clubs had hung tough with the ARL and not sought the bright lights of Super League the reconstituted NRL wouldn't have had to rationalize from 22 teams down to 14.

Look at it this way - you were flat broke and struggling to keep up on the field, but now you have a premiership and the rich SYDNEY BASED history of two foundation clubs to enjoy. Whereas the AFL prefered Fitzroy merge (be enveloped by) by a non-Victorian team rather than a Melbourne based one, because the idea of a Victorian super power was anathema to it's national empire building.

maybe if all the clubs had hung tough with the ARL and not sought the bright lights of Super League the reconstituted NRL wouldn't have had to rationalize from 22 teams down to 14.

Look at it this way - you were flat broke and struggling to keep up on the field, but now you have a premiership and the rich SYDNEY BASED history of two foundation clubs to enjoy. Whereas the AFL prefered Fitzroy merge (be enveloped by) by a non-Victorian team rather than a Melbourne based one, because the idea of a Victorian super power was anathema to it's national empire building.

Dont get me wrong. I do love the Wests Tigers, not for the prem as good as it was, but when I was younger i believed more in tradition and the NSW comp base, and i still believe Balmain and the others died for nothing as we have less interstate teams in the NRL than when they were in the comp. I have now grown up and realized otherwise. This comp (the AFL) is a national competition, its what has kept it ahead of the bungling NRL. As such it should represent the country. We do not believe it will be easy or quick but we will still be hear in 20 years and successful, not just on the park but off it.

I can't stress enough how bad the name is. The fact that it actually got through a room full of supposed professionals trying to make a successful football club just baffles me. Sheedy (rightly) kept going on about the desire to make it a club that really represents Western Sydney. And yet the club name makes it so no one ever actually has to say 'Western Sydney' when they talk about it! Greater Western Sydney is a term you only see on government planning documents. No one ever actually says it in real life. To have named the club Greater Western Sydney Giants is just...I can't. I just can't. It just screams "This was done by some moron from Melbourne who's never actually lived in Sydney." Just like when they decided to have the Swans play a Friday night game at ANZ Stadium.

Other than that I think they're doing a fairly decent job. While I appreciate the guarantee of four live games every week, the shift to 7mate makes it really hard to grow the game on television in Sydney. You can see it in Perth, too. Just by being on the main channel you consistently get an extra 20-30k people watching. Hopefully this will become less and less of an issue into the future as the general awareness of the digital channels grow, but for now it hurts.

I think it was a shame they couldn't get a stadium happening out at Blacktown. From all reports Showgrounds is pretty good (I haven't been there yet), but it isn't really in the geographical position you'd like to target Western Sydney. It's not the worst thing, but I think the same ground out at Blacktown would have been good.

We really can't judge the whole experiment until we see a sustained period of success and what happens then. It all comes down to the administrators, really. The Swans struggled until the mid 90s when we got absolute top shelf front office people and since then we've established ourselves completely in the sporting landscape in Sydney.

Overall the game is doing pretty well up here I think. Just from my own anecdotal experience the dislike towards the AFL has gone down a bit (although you'll still find it in sections of the NRL media). Buddy will be huge for the game in Sydney if he keeps playing like he is. The game on the weekend got a lot of attention. And when we can do that off the back of playing Port Adelaide (i.e. not a major Victorian side) it's a good sign. The last time it was like this was when Plugger was going around, except now we're coming off a bigger base so it's got the potential to be much bigger. And hopefully we (the Swans and the game here in Sydney) can capitalise on it long term.

The best thing that could happen is for Cameron to fulfil his potential and for GWS to be pushing for the top 4 in three years. If they could do that, and the Swans could stay up the top with Buddy playing well you'd start to see some real traction I think. Sydney love a talented key forward.

I can't stress enough how bad the name is. The fact that it actually got through a room full of supposed professionals trying to make a successful football club just baffles me. Sheedy (rightly) kept going on about the desire to make it a club that really represents Western Sydney. And yet the club name makes it so no one ever actually has to say 'Western Sydney' when they talk about it! Greater Western Sydney is a term you only see on government planning documents. No one ever actually says it in real life. To have named the club Greater Western Sydney Giants is just...I can't. I just can't. It just screams "This was done by some moron from Melbourne who's never actually lived in Sydney." Just like when they decided to have the Swans play a Friday night game at ANZ Stadium.

Other than that I think they're doing a fairly decent job. While I appreciate the guarantee of four live games every week, the shift to 7mate makes it really hard to grow the game on television in Sydney. You can see it in Perth, too. Just by being on the main channel you consistently get an extra 20-30k people watching. Hopefully this will become less and less of an issue into the future as the general awareness of the digital channels grow, but for now it hurts.

I think it was a shame they couldn't get a stadium happening out at Blacktown. From all reports Showgrounds is pretty good (I haven't been there yet), but it isn't really in the geographical position you'd like to target Western Sydney. It's not the worst thing, but I think the same ground out at Blacktown would have been good.

We really can't judge the whole experiment until we see a sustained period of success and what happens then. It all comes down to the administrators, really. The Swans struggled until the mid 90s when we got absolute top shelf front office people and since then we've established ourselves completely in the sporting landscape in Sydney.

Overall the game is doing pretty well up here I think. Just from my own anecdotal experience the dislike towards the AFL has gone down a bit (although you'll still find it in sections of the NRL media). Buddy will be huge for the game in Sydney if he keeps playing like he is. The game on the weekend got a lot of attention. And when we can do that off the back of playing Port Adelaide (i.e. not a major Victorian side) it's a good sign. The last time it was like this was when Plugger was going around, except now we're coming off a bigger base so it's got the potential to be much bigger. And hopefully we (the Swans and the game here in Sydney) can capitalise on it long term.

The best thing that could happen is for Cameron to fulfil his potential and for GWS to be pushing for the top 4 in three years. If they could do that, and the Swans could stay up the top with Buddy playing well you'd start to see some real traction I think. Sydney love a talented key forward.
Didnt realise I missed this.

the name is fine. Have used those Greater Western Sydney Words often in the past 3 years.
The blacktown stadium has been debunked previously. The council and NSW cricket killed any chance we had of baseing ourselves out there.

Only because the AFL actually wants them in the league!
There would be those at HQ who can't wait until certain Melbourne based clubs fall over so they can throw even more money and resources into a fluro orange colored rat hole in the name of "expansion".

As poorly managed as the NRL is, at least they respect and support their origins instead of activity trying to destroy them.

AFL foundation clubs:
Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Fitzroy, Geelong, Melbourne, St Kilda and South Melbourne.

NRL foundation clubs:
Balmain, Cumberland, Eastern Suburbs, Glebe, Newcastle (separate club from The Knights), Newtown, North Sydney, South Sydney, Western Suburbs.

South Sydney Rabbitohs and Sydney Roster (which isn't even their original name) are the only two foundation clubs from the NSWRFL, the predecessor of the NRL. The AFL has 7 of the original 8, the Swans have moved to Sydney but are still the same club, Fitzroy are gone but the Lion name still lives on with Brisbane. Please have at least some knowledge of the subject before you make ridiculous claims, you couldn't be more wrong.

AFL foundation clubs:
Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Fitzroy, Geelong, Melbourne, St Kilda and South Melbourne.

NRL foundation clubs:
Balmain, Cumberland, Eastern Suburbs, Glebe, Newcastle (separate club from The Knights), Newtown, North Sydney, South Sydney, Western Suburbs.

South Sydney Rabbitohs and Sydney Roster (which isn't even their original name) are the only two foundation clubs from the NSWRFL, the predecessor of the NRL. The AFL has 7 of the original 8, the Swans have moved to Sydney but are still the same club, Fitzroy are gone but the Lion name still lives on with Brisbane. Please have at least some knowledge of the subject before you make ridiculous claims, you couldn't be more wrong.

And Souths were kicked out, spent 2 years in the wilderness fighting to get back in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is not a pot shot at GWS, the AFL or anyone in particular however there are things circulating almost on a daily basis about many players being unhappy at living in Sydney (Western Sydney) and wanting to return home.

There is always a huge risk when recruiting players from interstate that eventually they will want to go home and for many kids becoming home sick can be the deciding influence as to whether or not they remain at the club that drafted them.

The GWS have a great young list that is being built around fantastic key forwards and a huge amount of ball winning/athletic midfielders, if you are to believe half of what the rumors are then there will be a Brisbane like exodus. Would the AFL allow it? Considering the AFL has an obsession with success in Sydney, it's hard to see them allowing such a thing to occur.

Shiel - It seems common knowledge his gone: Richmond and Melbourne front runners
Jaksch - Apparently put in a request to go home: Hawthorn mentioned
Cameron - All sorts of rumors in Sydneys papers about him leaving, not sure on this: Carlton/Bulldogs?
Boyd - The latest name to come up: Carlton and Dogs would be all over him, he could take his pick
O'rourke - Again it's been noted he is widely tipped to come home: Essendon being mentioned
Whitfield - Dandenong boy, home sick?: Take his pick of clubs

Those are just the names that have circulated, there has also been talk of Patton, Plowman and Stewart all wanting to head back to Victoria.

Question is - Could the GWS be an almighty failure for the AFL? Is the player exodus a possible reality or just fanciful rumors? The crowds for GWS are delplorable, the coverage they get is about one 10th of what the Swans get and having moved from Melbourne myself to Western Sydney, is the culture change to much for the Victorian guys?

It's uncertain times for the AFL and footy in Western Sydney.

How is it any different to the Swans of a few years ago admittedly 10 to 15.

It is up to the club to keep them happy or draft players who don't mind moving to Sydney which is quite a beautiful city around the harbour, beaches and even mountains.

It is also up to GWS to develop its zone (Western sydney and Southern NSW including ACT) ... oh hang on Eddie wants to change that.

I believe there are around 6 kids from their zone that are in the loop to be drafted.

All those players are contracted for at least another season except O'Rourke and Jaksch. Plowmann just re-signed with GWS a couple weeks ago. Cameron said last week that he'll re-sign with them before the end of this season. Whitfield is signed until the end of 2016.

All this bullshit about them hating living in Western Sydney. Most of them live near the Eastern Suburbs and Inner West of Sydney. The only time they are in Western Sydney is when they visit schools.

I think you oversimplified it.
Sheil, contracted.
Jaksch, denied his request to go home.
Cameron, says he wants to stay.
Boyd, who started his rumor? Damien Barret?
O'Rourke, i can see him going and i dont believe it will damage GWS that much.
Whitfield, are you just guessing with him because hes a Dandenong boy or trying to start your own rumor?

Patton is contracted im pretty sure, Plowman just resigned and Stewart hardly seems like a 'Required player', he was a bolter at pick 27(?).

I can see the Whileys, Golds and Stewarts leaving for more oppotunity, or get delisted and picked up(Miles for example) but thats about it at this stage.

I doubt the Bulldogs would deal with GWS to get either Cameron, Boyd or Patton over the line.

They would want one of our up and coming midfield group, which we will be looking to keep together, or Griffen, who is off-limits.

Carlton would be probably more inclined to do business. They are in need of a hefty rebuild and have some players with trade currency.

This is not a pot shot at GWS, the AFL or anyone in particular however there are things circulating almost on a daily basis about many players being unhappy at living in Sydney (Western Sydney) and wanting to return home.

There is always a huge risk when recruiting players from interstate that eventually they will want to go home and for many kids becoming home sick can be the deciding influence as to whether or not they remain at the club that drafted them.

The GWS have a great young list that is being built around fantastic key forwards and a huge amount of ball winning/athletic midfielders, if you are to believe half of what the rumors are then there will be a Brisbane like exodus. Would the AFL allow it? Considering the AFL has an obsession with success in Sydney, it's hard to see them allowing such a thing to occur.

Shiel - It seems common knowledge his gone: Richmond and Melbourne front runners
Cameron - All sorts of rumors in Sydneys papers about him leaving, not sure on this: Carlton/Bulldogs?
Boyd - The latest name to come up: Carlton and Dogs would be all over him, he could take his pick
O'rourke - Again it's been noted he is widely tipped to come home: Essendon being mentioned

Those are just the names that have circulated, there has also been talk of Patton, Plowman and Stewart all wanting to head back to Victoria.

Question is - Could the GWS be an almighty failure for the AFL? Is the player exodus a possible reality or just fanciful rumors? The crowds for GWS are delplorable, the coverage they get is about one 10th of what the Swans get and having moved from Melbourne myself to Western Sydney, is the culture change to much for the Victorian guys?

It's uncertain times for the AFL and footy in Western Sydney.
This is spot on.
It is the reason why the Swans and GWS are trying to establish Academies - to counter balance the 'Go Home' factor. When we have a local pool of talent to draw from, this issue will disappear.

Sheil has said he wants to be in all the photos that will be hung in the club rooms in a hundred years time looking back on the first team, the first finals, the first premiership etc.

Cameron has said he will re-sign this year (a full year before his contract has expired)

Absolutely nothing but big footy rubbish about the other four listed.

The beginning of the end, it was never going to work.

Isn't there a thread in the footy industry sub board specifically designed for GWS bashing? Why is this thread here?

Mate, I live across the bay in Rhodes and go to the Giants games, why would I bash them? I am simply asking the question! If it's no issue and all those blokes are staying then happy days. However as a neutral, looking at it objectively I am simply asking the question! There are rumors, what's new? The same rumors that followed the Brisbane Lions last year, Buddy and Ablett before that. Surely it's not all crap? I mean you probably know better than me right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back