They call it "Saints footy"

Remove this Banner Ad

We got most of our spoons while Footscray was still playing in a 2nd tier competition.
No, we were playing in the VFA until 1925, the best league in Victoria at the time.

Doesn't change the fact that the Saints play an ugly style of football today.

Sounds like you are comfortable with just making grand finals. That's Saints footy right there, as B2BW said. Don't worry about losing a gf, because your already happy with making it.

If I lost a grand final I would not be using that as a counterarguement to a team who is pretty much even with you overall.

Saints footy is 26 spoons one flag. Bulldogs footy is 1 flag and 4 spoons.

Western Bulldogs footy>Saints footy.

/thread.

Let's have a look at the Ultimate Success to Ultimate Failure ratios there:

Bulldogs: 1/4 = 0.25
Saints: 1/26 = 0.04

This means the Saints have to win 6 more flags to overtake the Dogs on that ratio. What a failure of a club ...

(And yeah I know the ratios mean sfa, but they do highlight a lot)

We got most of our spoons while Footscray was still playing in a 2nd tier competition.

A spoon playing in the VFL was still better than winning a flag in the VFA.

Fine, 15 spoons since 1925 when we entered as opposed to four by us. And we won our premiership before you, too.

As Mofra said, still means you play s**t football today. Saints footy will never win a grand final.

Certainly the Saints style footy is a winning style of footy.

It’s the Sydney floodfest style of football on steroids, rugby basically. St Rugby is all about neutralising and negating, bringing the skill level of the opponent down so your own skills and gameplan can work. The saints would rather stop you scoring than scoring themselves, it’s a defensive style of play. The saints can rarely catch a team from behind because their style is about grinding and stopping with the occasional short burst up the ground, like a player breaking the lines in Union or League to score a try.

Yes, it can be an effective style if done right, and the saints do it very well, but it’s akin to Laying and Praying used to win MMA fights. Yeah you win, but it’s boring as s**t and a blight on the sport, where other equally effective styles of play are much more attractive and exciting to watch.

I for one hope StKilda do not win the flag, as it would encourage other teams to adopt this terribly repulsive brand of football, and the game of Australian Rules Football is better off without that garbage.

Another Geelong supporter that has been drinking too much of his own bath water and believing all the bullshit stereotypes.

There isn't that much difference between Geelong and St Kilda's style of play, both of our games last year were extremely close with us winning one and you winning one. They were two of the best games last year and our game against Freo was one of the best games so far this year. If you find that sort of footy repulsive or garbage then you have no clue.

Against weaker opposition we have crushed teams like Geelong has with free flowing, high scoring football. We beat North by over 100 points a few weeks ago so we aren't all about defence and preventing other teams scoring, we can score heavily ourselves.

Fine, 15 spoons since 1925 when we entered as opposed to four by us. And we won our premiership before you, too.

As Mofra said, still means you play s**t football today. Saints footy will never win a grand final.

Dogs footy will never make a grand final.

My first (and likely only) serious post on this topic ...

There are basically two ways to go about playing the Saints:

1. You play them at them at their own game. If your team has the intensity and goes in hard enough then you stand a good chance of beating them or at the least the game will be close. This can produce some great spectator footy, ala the Prelim last year, or some not so good to watch footy like the Port game.

2. You play attack against their defence. Not many teams have the personnel and skills to pull this off. Cats are the only ones in the last 12 months really. If you attack hard and stuff it up, your team's gonna pay every time when they rebound. Minimal turnovers are crucial here. As a result there's not too many teams that do or should consider taking them on using this style. This can produce some exciting footy, but it call end up being a game of where team A comes out of the backline attacking, turns it over and it comes back over their head for a score. Rinse and repeat. Not exactly thrilling.

So in conclusion, Saints Footy can produce some good, exciting, hard contests at times, but in the majority produces defensive, predictable, boring footy.

Let's have a look at the Ultimate Success to Ultimate Failure ratios there:

Bulldogs: 1/4 = 0.25
Saints: 1/26 = 0.04

This means the Saints have to win 6 more flags to overtake the Dogs on that ratio. What a failure of a club ...

According to a post by your anti-saints footy partner Tillerific, if you don't finish first then you are last. Therefore your ratio would be equal with 1 flag each and 84 last positions. Your clubs history is just as poor and unsuccessful as our club. But unlike the Doggies, at least we can get to the dance to give ourselves an actual chance.

How many years now is it that you Bullflogs have been playing "attractive" footy?

In the same time, home many Grand Finals have you made/won

/thread

lol, these posts would have been so much easier for afail to write if the Saints had actually won a flag in the last 40 years, making and winning a grand final are worlds apart, theres a lot more than a forward slash between the two.

According to a post by your anti-saints footy partner Tillerific, if you don't finish first then you are last. Therefore your ratio would be equal with 1 flag each and 84 last positions. Your clubs history is just as poor and unsuccessful as our club. But unlike the Doggies, at least we can get to the dance to give ourselves an actual chance.

Given that thinking, you'd be almost right ...

Remember the Saints were in the comp for 28 years longer than the Dogs and hence your ratio is still worse than ours.

But then in your last sentence you contradict that anyway saying that you can get to the dance - what's the point if it means last anyway?

The above is all semantics anyway, everyone knows that statistically the Saints are the most unsuccessful team in the comp.

Given that thinking, you'd be almost right ...

Remember the Saints were in the comp for 28 years longer than the Dogs and hence your ratio is still worse than ours.

But then in your last sentence you contradict that anyway saying that you can get to the dance - what's the point if it means last anyway?

The above is all semantics anyway, everyone knows that statistically the Saints are the most unsuccessful team in the comp.

My apologies....I was meant to write.... "Therefore your ratio would be equal with 1 flag each and 84 last positions from when both sides started competing in the same league."

The point I make is that although St. Kilda have only won a woeful 1 premiership in their existence, at least in recent times we have put ourselves in the best possible position to win one by making the GF. No one in their right mind is contempt in just making it however. Unfortunatly we haven't won and our position to that point means nothing.

I'm not defending our history and it is a poor one. But I am confident we can snag one premiership this year or in the next few and if we do happen to, we WILL be more successful than the Bulldogs and vica-versa the other way around.

My apologies....I was meant to write.... "Therefore your ratio would be equal with 1 flag each and 84 last positions from when both sides started competing in the same league."

The point I make is that although St. Kilda have only won a woeful 1 premiership in their existence, at least in recent times we have put ourselves in the best possible position to win one by making the GF. No one in their right mind is contempt in just making it however. Unfortunatly we haven't won and our position to that point means nothing.

I'm not defending our history and it is a poor one. But I am confident we can snag one premiership this year or in the next few and if we do happen to, we WILL be more successful than the Bulldogs and vica-versa the other way around.

Hate to be a grammar nazi, but I believe you meant to write to content. The sentence therefore has the opposite meaning to what I believe you intended it to, but anyways ...

Both teams have put themselves in a position to win a flag in the last few and next few years. Yes you beat us in the Prelim, but ultimately took the same away from the year. Until one of us win a flag we can continue down this merry path forever.

I do pity the one of us who is left on one flag though. Whoever it is will be copping a lot of s**t!

Hate to be a grammar nazi, but I believe you meant to write to content. The sentence therefore has the opposite meaning to what I believe you intended it to, but anyways ...

Both teams have put themselves in a position to win a flag in the last few and next few years. Yes you beat us in the Prelim, but ultimately took the same away from the year. Until one of us win a flag we can continue down this merry path forever.

I do pity the one of us who is left on one flag though. Whoever it is will be copping a lot of s**t!

Still burns, don't it boy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My grammar is as bad as the Saints past.

You are right, whoever's side doesn't get it first can count on copping a massive amount of crap!! Have this discussion a bit with a few Bulldogs mates.

Flood_Insurance.gif

Last week's game was a shocker up until the excitement of the last quarter. Sydney of '05-'07 > St. Kilda.

I'd agree with that, obviously :p

But seriously, what the hell did I just watch? My girlfriend fell asleep before half time. I stayed up to see how low the scoring was going to be!

That's where my enjoyment came from, actually wondering how low the score was going to be. Last time a game was churned up like that (funnily enough involving St. Kilda) Sydney were lambasted by the AFL CEO!

Love that "Saints footy".

Yawwwwwn.

As much as I hate it. We were the ones who lost to it.

FFS we don't want the premiership, just give it to Geelong already. As long as saints don't win it, because they need to learn one way or another that this s**t footy is bad for the game.

Congratulation on a come from behind win but as i am a neutral supporter to all other teams i will never go and watch StKilda play live unless it's against my own team..

You have to be an absolute moron to go and be happy to watch that every week..

I give Ross Lyon credit though, he identified that his team is not skilled enough to play an attacking brand of football and created a tactical defense game plan.

I give Ross Lyon credit though, he identified that his team is not skilled enough to play an attacking brand of football and created a tactical defense game plan.

Ross identified that the aging doggies spent a lot of energy pre season and would fail to run out the game.

he may have also had an inkling that they also struggle with their swallowing.

He was right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back