Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all identity politics now anyway. Which side can construct a profile and get members of the left or right to support that view. They are called left and right by name only the definitions are that distorted they are meaningless. May as well call them the Eagles and the magpies
I'm guessing that if we had something that even resembled a left wing government in Australia this they're all as bad as each other narrative would disappear pretty bloody quickly.

The 'Left' and 'Right' of politics. People get on their high-horse about the other side. Got no idea, and have no interest in knowing what the 'Left' or 'Right' side stands for - but if i go by people's arguing, its always the other sides fault. All just as bad as each other

To me it's a way of quickly explaining your general stance on a lot of views without going through them one by one, most people on the "left" agree on a certain amount of issues as is with the right. Of course it is a spectrum so not everyone agrees. If in general you're in the centre (like me, I think anyway) you disagree with a lot on the left and on the right.

It's a bit like what genre a band is, bands can be "metal", "prog", "pop" but many exhibit different facets of other genres. And a lot of time is wasted discussing what genre a band is, rather than discussing what is good or bad about the music, similar to people concerned who is "left" or "right" rather than the content of their argument.

It's all identity politics now anyway. Which side can construct a profile and get members of the left or right to support that view. They are called left and right by name only the definitions are that distorted they are meaningless. May as well call them the Eagles and the magpies

With the rise of identity politics it appears that your race, sex and sexual orientation are more important than ever, and what you are dictates whether you are even allowed to participate in certain discussions, it's very strange to me.

With the rise of identity politics it appears that your race, sex and sexual orientation are more important than ever, and what you are dictates whether you are even allowed to participate in certain discussions, it's very strange to me.
I've always viewed the rise of identity politics to be largely based around straight white men being worried that something is being taken away from them.

To me it's a way of quickly explaining your general stance on a lot of views without going through them one by one, most people on the "left" agree on a certain amount of issues as is with the right. Of course it is a spectrum so not everyone agrees. If in general you're in the centre (like me, I think anyway) you disagree with a lot on the left and on the right.

It's a bit like what genre a band is, bands can be "metal", "prog", "pop" but many exhibit different facets of other genres. And a lot of time is wasted discussing what genre a band is, rather than discussing what is good or bad about the music, similar to people concerned who is "left" or "right" rather than the content of their argument.
Yeah but when it gets ti the stage North Korea and China are left wing and say US or Aussie farmers wanting subsidies right wing the definitions are meaningless now

I've always viewed the rise of identity politics to be largely based around straight white men being worried that something is being taken away from them.

Look in all honesty the straight white man often gets told their opinion doesn't matter about certain things in this age. This is me and of course it's not going to please me being told it doesn't matter what i say because of things out of my control.

I don't think I'll get things taken from me, i'm in a good position because of my education and luck to be born in a middle class economic situation. And I'm not in an industry where gender quotas will disadvantage me either (so far anyway).

Yeah but when it gets ti the stage North Korea and China are left wing and say US or Aussie farmers wanting subsidies right wing the definitions are meaningless now

Yeah they are overused no doubt, it's a starting point to describe someone's general viewpoint but shouldn't be used as a dismissive tool, obviously further investigation behind the label is required.

Look in all honesty the straight white man often gets told their opinion doesn't matter about certain things in this age. This is me and of course it's not going to please me being told it doesn't matter what i say because of things out of my control.

I don't think I'll get things taken from me, i'm in a good position because of my education and luck to be born in a middle class economic situation. And I'm not in an industry where gender quotas will disadvantage me either (so far anyway).

There’s such an irony in this it’s gotta be satirical, doesn’t it?

I think 'identity politics' originally had an academic meaning but then right wingers distorted/redefined it into a catch all term for what they don't like. They did the same to 'political correctness' but that took much longer. SJW to ruin 'social justice'.

Last edited:

i get the impression that the "older" generation like things the way they were in their day. Reluctant to change or accept new things. I think that's totally understandable. Speaking to people at variosu golf establishments, they are of the same opinion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The straight white male is still the predominant voice in society and probably always will be.

The straight white male is still the predominant voice in society and probably always will be.

Of course....The British won the wars, remember.....English is now compulsory in China, where hyper-capitalism has taken hold of the Nations soul.

My point being, that's by design, not accident....British Imperialism still reigns supreme.
Good?

Would we be better off without a dominant language in the world?

Or would it be preferable if Chinese was the lingua franca of the world so that we could whinge about Chinese imperialism?

Good?

Would we be better off without a dominant language in the world?

Or would it be preferable if Chinese was the lingua franca of the world so that we could whinge about Chinese imperialism?

I'm assuming most of us would be pro, given British heritage is the predominant one in Oz.

But lets not pretend it's by the rule of Law & Democracy, cause it aint....It's by the rule of might makes right, under the banner of an assumed British supremacy.

There’s such an irony in this it’s gotta be satirical, doesn’t it?

I presume you'll be a bit more specific at some point?

i get the impression that the "older" generation like things the way they were in their day. Reluctant to change or accept new things. I think that's totally understandable. Speaking to people at variosu golf establishments, they are of the same opinion

That's probably true. I also read something recently about how men tend to drift right wing as they get older and women stay in the left, i reckon that's true with me to a certain extent. Hard for me to tell if I've moved right or society has moved left though, I think it's a bit of both really.

Why do you think that is the case? I think it's more the affluent voice being the predominant voice in society, it's more a class thing than a straight white male thing in my opinion. (Granted wealth seems to be concentrated with whites more often, and perhaps you see men drawn to politics more than females, I don't really know). Hilary being female wouldn't have made any difference to her being president if you ask me, she's of the ruling class.

I think the problem with assuming straight white men all are advantaged and rule the world is there are many who are disadvantaged. I witnessed a discussion between my gym owner (SWM) and a early 20s female straight out of uni. I didn't hear the whole thing but she exclaimed "Oh but you're a straight white male, you're the most advantaged class of person in the world".

Well I know a bit about his background and he's not what I'd call advantaged, left school early, broken home, boxed professionally but never got anywhere, blind and punch drunk from his career etc etc. Dangerous to make assumptions based on someone's sex, sexual orientation or complexion, you'd think this is fairly self evident.

I think the older generation is always reluctant to change, it will happen when im older, our kids are older and so on.

I like change

Remember some of the even older generation than me were the most radical youth we have ever had they started the change

I presume you'll be a bit more specific at some point?

That's probably true. I also read something recently about how men tend to drift right wing as they get older and women stay in the left, i reckon that's true with me to a certain extent. Hard for me to tell if I've moved right or society has moved left though, I think it's a bit of both really.

Why do you think that is the case? I think it's more the affluent voice being the predominant voice in society, it's more a class thing than a straight white male thing in my opinion. (Granted wealth seems to be concentrated with whites more often, and perhaps you see men drawn to politics more than females, I don't really know). Hilary being female wouldn't have made any difference to her being president if you ask me, she's of the ruling class.

I think the problem with assuming straight white men all are advantaged and rule the world is there are many who are disadvantaged. I witnessed a discussion between my gym owner (SWM) and a early 20s female straight out of uni. I didn't hear the whole thing but she exclaimed "Oh but you're a straight white male, you're the most advantaged class of person in the world".

Well I know a bit about his background and he's not what I'd call advantaged, left school early, broken home, boxed professionally but never got anywhere, blind and punch drunk from his career etc etc. Dangerous to make assumptions based on someone's sex, sexual orientation or complexion, you'd think this is fairly self evident.
Are you comparing him to other SWMs or non S non W non M in the World ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back