Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The obsession with re-booting old TV shows and movies, which has been going on for ages and most of the time fails dismally. Yet still it is tried time and time and time again.

Can't people think up any new TV shows and movies rather than re-makes, remakes and sequels years after the originals, many of which were products of their time and wouldn't work in today's environment anyway?

The obsession with re-booting old TV shows and movies, which has been going on for ages and most of the time fails dismally. Yet still it is tried time and time and time again.

Can't people think up any new TV shows and movies rather than re-makes, remakes and sequels years after the originals, many of which were products of their time and wouldn't work in today's environment anyway?
What set you off this time?

Just saw there’s a new Wonder Years is nothing sacred

Sent from my Louis Vuitton Jaffle Maker

Most remakes are lazy re-hashings.

I get why companies do follow-ups to things like Friends, Sex and City, Roseanne etc. because they were popular and companies want to cash in on nostalgia value. Star Wars 1-3 and 7-9 had a place in the canon, so they weren't just a cash grab. Also weren't good films. So it annoys me to some degree that a trilogy I enjoyed is now part of a continuing 9 film series where the first 3 are ordinary and the last 3 are putrid.

Spider-Man and Batman have been remade a bunch of times in my lifetime. Since I finished school Spider-Man has been Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield, Tom Holland and apparently both Tom Holland and Tobey Maguire are in the new one, so Spider-Men I guess. Doesn't really bother me at all how many different interpretations of these there are. I liked the Christian Bale ones with Heath Ledger as The Joker, but Joaquin Phoenix doing a different version of that character doesn't bother me at all. Are there people that think Batman should only be Adam West or Michael Keaton? Not sure. Surely no one is on team Val Kilmer.

Some things just don't work and should be left alone for varying reasons. I don't think Point Break or Ghostbusters needed reboots, yet here we are. Star Trek has been remade a bunch of times with both different eras and with Kirk, Spock etc. recast with new actors and it seems not to detract from the original, but if someone made 'new Star Wars' without James Earl Jones as Darth Vader, Harrison Ford as Han Solo etc. it would just be wrong, IMO. The success of a lot of film and TV is dependent on cast and timing. Top Gear was a hit for years with Clarkson, Hammond and May and was re-launched in other countries and with new hosts after Clarkon's final tanty that got him fired. It has never been the same. There's no Fawlty Towers without John Cleese and Andrew Sachs. There's no Seinfeld without the 4 main actors. I hope no one ever remakes Jaws, the sequels were bad enough.

I'd extend this to sports fashions: team uniforms and shoes. It's more in US sports (though it does happen here: see Carlton and the Bulldogs as recent examples), but it seems like when a team does a uniform redesign and ends up with something that looks almost identical to what the team wore 30-40 years everyone goes bonkers about how much they love the design.

Like, I'd be on board if our cricket ODI tri series went back to the early-mid 90s kit designs (as opposed to the bland, boring efforts they churn out for the teams on an annual basis these days), but a return to the barcode, lightning bolts, or baseball style script team name would have to lose some points with me for lack of originality.

Similar thing with sports shoe fashions: I think the retro reissues definitely have their place, but I think it goes a little too far with the companies not trying enough new designs.

With the mullet, didn't it kind of start in the AFL with renowned fashionistas Taylor Walker and Ivan Maric having a competition? And before that with the G-Train, whose effort just seemed to be a statement of how he didn't give a hoot what he looked like. Then you got the likes of Ben Stratton whose mullet always had a bit of a "Hur, hur, check out my mullet" (in Beavis and Butthead voice) vibe to it. Bailey Smith's and others had a bit of that to me (rightly or wrongly) as well: a bit more 'look at me' than anyone actually thinking they looked good with that style. Now it seems that every first round pick in the most recent draft has one and somewhere along the line it stopped being an ironic trend and just became a trend.

Maybe it's COVID... I mean, what I've been doing with my hair isn't that far removed, if I'm being honest: I'll have a go at the sides and back of my head with the clippers and generally do a dog's breakfast with the latter, but because we don't see anyone these days, instead of getting the missus to fix it up, I just shrug my shoulders and live with it until it grows out again.

Maybe I'd be better going with the mullet, but at my age it'd seem like an early mid-life crisis... too old for that s**t.

Lower risk to reboot, remake or otherwise continue an established brand, particularly if it comes from the pre-internet era when pop culture was less fragmented

People like stuff that is familiar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When a crim is shot dead and cops say it's an ongoing feud between well known crime families: well if they are committing crime and they are well known put them in jail
Can't believe nobody has thought to do this.

You can remake anything, I just think the classics don't need to be. Jaws wouldn't be realistic in a modern setting. 'Local mayor overrules medical examiner and endangers safety of citizens by declaring beach open' is much more feasible in 1975 than 2022. Shark spotted, tracked by drone and implanted with GPS tracker isn't as dramatic.

Kids today probably enjoyed the new versions of The Lion King and Mulan etc. People who were kids for the 90s versions are always going to compare to the ones they grew up with and it's a hard sell competing with childhood nostalgia. But 5-10 year olds watch it and their 30-40 year old parents watch it out of nostalgia or just because their kids are then the network execs are happy.

I watched a few episodes of Creepshow today. Pretty good.

Seinfeld did have Curb your enthusiasm which is pretty much a sequel.

I feel you can't remake jaws because they kind tried that with Deep Blue Sea in 99

I loved that Curb did an entire season dedicated to a (fictional) Seinfeld reunion show. And that the snippets of the reunion were really funny and the chemistry between Larry and Jerry was amazing.

There's obvious links of course but with the HBO language and absence of a laugh track, at the very least Curb makes Seinfeld seem very dated.

Curb makes me laugh out loud far more (it's really no contest) and just seems like a way more polished show. If a random Curb and a random Seinfeld episode were on at the same time, it's Curb every day of the week for me.

But ("Having said that...") Seinfeld was the groundbreaker, the truly revolutionary sitcom, so the legacy it's created makes it the greater show, if that makes sense. Which is interesting when you consider how similar comparisons could apply to sporting stars and teams across different eras.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back