News Time for the Vic teams to leave Victoria - EDIT: Hawks to Hub in Barossa, 15 teams in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing to do with the vfl borrowing unsustainably

ill move to the relevant thread when you stop quoting me in this one.

Well this is not thread relevant, what is relevant is vic clubs will move out of vic and hub for however long it takes.

Sorry for quoting you in this thread (even though I have every right to), it's your choice to whinge and complain about a different subject and quote me on them just as much as it my right to call you out on your irrelevance.

In 1986 there were 78 Western Australians playing in the VFL .That is 78 out of 160 players each week in the WAFLs eight teams of twenty players .Basicly the top 6 or 7 from each club and then some.So strong was the VFLs thirst for WA players they had over spent and the VFL was as good as bankrupt. Players that played on a half back flank in the WAFL for very low remuneration were able to get thousands of dollars plus perks plus a cushy job in Victoria playing in the VFL .But sadly the gravy train could not last so in order for the cash cow and good times to keep on rolling for WA footballers WA had to throw money into the VFL via the West Coast Eagles.Everybody was fine with it in WA as the WAFL wasn't exactly a well supported strong state league at the time.
The original Eagles had a squad of 34 players 4 players recruited from VFL teams.Some of them had cronic injurys hidden by their VFL clubs (Phil Narkle) others couldnt get paid by the struggling financially VFL clubs (Dean Turner from Fitzroy) also a few retired veterans came back to play the Eagles (Glendinning and Robert Wiley) as well as a few former fringe VFL players that were contract less like Geoff Miles and Peter Davidson.The original Eagles squad was allowed a maximum of five players per WAFL club and a minimum of two to minimize the strain on individual clubs.
Local indiginous people and their land and resourses had nothing to do with the Eagles.

Can you name the 78 please

Can you name the 78 please

That seems like a lot of hard work .
I will just do one WAFL club from memory-East Fremantle (coz Kranky Al lives in their country zone)- Brian Peake,Ken Judge,Rod Lestersmith,Tony Buhagiar,Andrew Purser,Shane Ellis,Clinton Browning,JimSewell,Kevin Taylor,Paul Harding,Peter Wilson,Mario Turco,Doug Green,Mick Jez,Steven McCann ,might have missed a few and got a few years wrong.

Last edited:
Stop diverting.

For the 20 years leading up to 1986, the player drain from the WAFL was a consistent trickle. Annoying but not terminal to the WAFL.

WC in 1986 was something completely different altogether, it absolutely decimated the competition. WC took the 40 best players from the WAFL in one go. Just as importantly it diverted all support of footy in WA away from the WAFL. It was these combined factors that made the WAFL irrelevant basically overnight.

I guess though it is noble of WC to fund WA footy ongoing. It is kind of like colonial settlers “funding” local indigenous populations after they have stolen their land and natural resources. Noble indeed.
that would've been a feat considering we had a reduced list of 35 and that in two months between the early talks of a wa side entering the comp to voting it in, the vfl clubs raided 17 of the wafls best players, telling them they were going to vote against the wa entry so they might as well join them.

it wasn't the player drain that was terminal to the wafl it was the fact it was addicted to the 60k player transfer payments. all good while the vfl could tread water but with 6-7 vfl clubs essentially bankrupt the money dried up for all and everyone was in dire straits.

That seems like a lot of hard work .
I will just do one WAFL club from memory-East Fremantle (coz Krabky Al lives in their country zone)- Brian Peake,Ken Judge,Rod Lestersmith,Tony Buhagiar,Andrew Purser,Shane Ellis,Clinton Browning,JimSewell,Kevin Taylor,Paul Harding,Peter Wilson,Mario Turco,Doug Green,,might have missed a few and got a few years wrong.

All of them at some point played in the VFL but in 1986 Wilson, Turco, Green, Ellis, Browning, Taylor were all playing in the WAFL except Green who had retired.
Yes the WAFL had many players that played in the VFL but 78 in 1986 is a fair way off the mark I think.

Watch the press conference. He said Richmond would be there, but there may be some players who choose not to be. He didn’t say how many players, which players and under what circumstances.

There are a multitude of reasons why a player from any club might opt out...
-expecting a child
-illness in the family
-parenting requirements
-religion

The vitriol is unbelievable.
The problem with Cotchin's comments are that they are designed to create uncertainty, the reaction of "maybe a number of players won't be up for this".

Just contrast his comments to that of Hurn or Sloane where they said "well if we have to, then we have to in order to get the season under way".

How many West Coast, Freo, Crows and Port players may have issues at home. I cannot believe not one of them has a sick parent, pregnant wife or a new born child yet every one of them relocated.

Why, because it's their job

Honestly! Watching AFL 360 and so on over this season..players so unsure if they can go into a hub...i mean.. what babies..hundreds of thousands of teenage exchange students worldwide leave home the first time and go to a completely new culture alone for 6 months (I teach and live in Thailand and see it always - no complaints). I mean.. what a bunch of wusses, especially the precious Melb teams.. babies...(exception: birth/death)

About a dozen players and coaches have used very similar phrases to Cotchin. Where is the outrage there?

as captain and part of the hierarchy of an employer. Richmond, modern practices show that they always signal that individual employees circumstances can be looked at and managed.
That is all he said

Honestly! Watching AFL 360 and so on over this season..players so unsure if they can go into a hub...i mean.. what babies..hundreds of thousands of teenage exchange students worldwide leave home the first time and go to a completely new culture alone for 6 months (I teach and live in Thailand and see it always - no complaints). I mean.. what a bunch of wusses, especially the precious Melb teams.. babies...(exception: birth/death)

so employees can have exceptions, but only things YOU deem acceptable? How generous.

but you’re just having a rant, aren’t you

Reiwoldt and Betts on 360 atm.
Betts and Carlton are positive.

Where as Richmond are not......
They don’t want to leave their kids.
Cool but every other team can just not them? I notice they didn't talk up about the SA and WA clubs going to QLD. It's a short term relocation due to a once in 100 year event. A lot of people would love to be in their position earning the bucketload of cash for a few weeks away from the family

The problem with Cotchin's comments are that they are designed to create uncertainty, the reaction of "maybe a number of players won't be up for this".

Just contrast his comments to that of Hurn or Sloane where they said "well if we have to, then we have to in order to get the season under way".

How many West Coast, Freo, Crows and Port players may have issues at home. I cannot believe not one of them has a sick parent, pregnant wife or a new born child yet every one of them relocated.

Why, because it's their job
How are they designed to create uncertainty and for who? Sure, he’s a Brownlow Medallist and two-time premiership captain but I’m pretty certain he doesn’t hold sway over Gil and the like. Did you actually watch the press conference, I thought he was just trying to be honest - I didn’t see any threat or manipulation in his words.

As for those players who have “hubbed” I can’t offer as to why none have sat out. It is a personal decision. I could offer up a load of fanciful reasons, and maybe some hurtful and abusive ones too, but all that matters is they chose to go. Having done FIFO for 20+ years I’d never abuse someone who thought being away from home for an extended period wasn’t for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cool but every other team can just not them? I notice they didn't talk up about the SA and WA clubs going to QLD. It's a short term relocation due to a once in 100 year event. A lot of people would love to be in their position earning the bucketload of cash for a few weeks away from the family
Exactly. Pessimistic doesn't think so. Yes, having a rant. Better out than in!

How are they designed to create uncertainty and for who? Sure, he’s a Brownlow Medallist and two-time premiership captain but I’m pretty certain he doesn’t hold sway over Gil and the like. Did you actually watch the press conference, I thought he was just trying to be honest - I didn’t see any threat or manipulation in his words.

As for those players who have “hubbed” I can’t offer as to why none have sat out. It is a personal decision. I could offer up a load of fanciful reasons, and maybe some hurtful and abusive ones too, but all that matters is they chose to go. Having done FIFO for 20+ years I’d never abuse someone who thought being away from home for an extended period wasn’t for them.
Whether or not Cotchin meant it, his comments came across pretentious, that was the issue.

It wasn't helped by the AFLPA then doubling down on it by saying within hours that if a player doesn't go then they still expect them to receive full pay.

For the record I am not advocating that a player should be forced to relocate, just like any job though, they cant expect full entitlements either

Whether or not Cotchin meant it, his comments came across pretentious, that was the issue.

It wasn't helped by the AFLPA then doubling down on it by saying within hours that if a player doesn't go then they still expect them to receive full pay.

For the record I am not advocating that a player should be forced to relocate, just like any job though, they cant expect full entitlements either

his comments were tweeted by journos etc who’s stick in trade is triggering people. And boy you guys swallowed the whole hook line and sinker

Poor sooky Trent. Gets a bit hard when the VFL don’t gift you 7 home games to end the season, doesn’t it !!
yep I am sure he isn't a bad a** like you. You seem tougher than tough man Tony Abbott lol

I assume you are the toughest person in Mirrabooka? LoL

Well then it must have been Simmo's doppleganger that I saw in the tv news services threatening that the Eagles will leave the hub early and fly back to WA if they were going to be made to quarantine in hotels on their return to WA.

If they were allowed to quarantine at home with their families then they would see out their full commitment to their time in Qld.

It wasn't fair on the mental health of their staff / players to be apart from their families for up to 7 weeks he said.

Point out anything in this that Simmo didn't say?

Yes it's admirable that as the head of the coaching and playing group that he's come out on the front foot and stuck up for them, but only the most diehard Eagles supporter (which to be fair is pretty much all of you) would agree that 2 weeks was probably a bit too soon. During the presser, Simmo actually looked like he was under the pump himself.

in actual,fact it’s ridiculous of the WA govt to expect them to quarantine in hotels on return. They have dropped that right? Qld is Covid free

How sweet 2 Cockburn zeros

Bit like players in your team. 2 of you combined nearly makes 1 good poster
How many times you been permabanned now Frank? Won't be long before your latest reincarnation is too. Once a flog always a flog.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back