Summer Tokyo 2021 - Swimming

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh yeah the swimming domination continues. I was nervous after Rio’s effort. McKeon is a gun
Yeah I think we had to take a long hard look at ourselves after London and Rio and have really turned it around.

Timing, I just edited as you posted this lol. Still crazy given how dominant she's been over the journey.
Easy to forget from 13 years ago as has stuffed up several finals.

Yeah I think we had to take a long hard look at ourselves after London and Rio and have really turned it around.
3 things since London and Rio.

1. Fix the culture
2. New coaches
3. Finally have trials 5 or 6 weeks before an Olympics or World Champs rather than nationals in our summer in March or April being our trials for a July or August Olympics or World Champs.

When I see Cate Campbell in that post race interview I get emotional as well. What a fantastic Australian athlete who has represented us over multiple Olympics and dedicated herself to be her best.

It's why I get so annoyed at the choke comment that so many people throw around. These people put in more effort to something than most people will ever give and they try their best. Sometimes they don't deliver their absolute best at the biggest moment.

When I see Cate Campbell in that post race interview I get emotional as well. What a fantastic Australian athlete who has represented us over multiple Olympics and dedicated herself to be her best.

It's why I get so annoyed at the choke comment that so many people throw around. These people put in more effort to something than most people will ever give and they try their best. Sometimes they don't deliver their absolute best at the biggest moment.
So sometimes they choke?

sport is either just physical or it’s both a physical and mental battle and if it’s thé latter then choking is a thing. People just need to deal with this fact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Winnington from day 1 is perhaps the only real underperformance that can even be remotely classed as a 'choke'.

So far we've medalled in just about every event we were expected to medal in, and have now surpassed Rio with still a few days left in the swimming program and plenty of finalists and medal opportunities. This swim meet is a success, unquestionably - you cannot win them all but if you can pick up medals in almost every event you're predicted to medal in that is nowhere near a 'choke' or 'failure'.

It's telling that just now Thorpe acknowledged that when people don't win a gold/medal when they're expected to, that it does mess with your head.

I like that with this result McKeon has been able to elevate herself like she has after always being more of a bridesmaid at International level, don’t think there’s anything harder to do, was always likened to Susie O’Neill but a lot of Petria Thomas about her in her ability to work hard to change the script

Really fantastic role model.

So sometimes they choke?

sport is either just physical or it’s both a physical and mental battle and if it’s thé latter then choking is a thing. People just need to deal with this fact.
If your child competed at the Olympic level and was favourite for an event and just missed out on winning a medal or gold because they didn't quite race their best, would you call them a choker or tell them that they choked? Because that's what I think about the tag. When you know how hard someone has worked for years, would you call them a choker?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back