Tom Boyd

Remove this Banner Ad

Alternatively, they can explain why that's not the case and we can then jointly interrogate that explanation. Is there something wrong with that?

It's subtle trolling disguised nonetheless.

If you cannot add anything further to the conversation other than asking the same question over and over again when others have explained their answers, then you have nothing further to add to the conversation.

Either move on from the topic of Tom Boyd's paycheck or you may find yourself no longer participating in the conversation if you cannot add any new dimension to the thread topic (which is not about Tom Boyd's paycheck)

I have been embarrassed for you blokes the last couple of years the 2 times Darling has soiled his shorts at the proposition of a shadow. Against us it was a 18 year old chap named Josh Dunkley. Using your logic: Hamling was great for 4 games (I agree), a million bucks, happy with that. Unfortunately Jack shat his dacks when push came to shove 2 years in a row. Don't get me wrong, I would have him at the dogs for irrelevant games against s**t teams (same as Hill and Le Cras). Just not for the big time!!!
And what's your point?

How does this demonstrate that Boyd hasn't been overpaid? Or do you concede that's the case?

So Tom Boyd is worth $1 million a season because he was a standout junior and a #1 draft pick?

Is Jack Watts worth $1 million too?

That sounds like another way of saying he's been overpaid to date.

I'm just not quite sure what you're trying to say anymore other than you think he's overpaid for his output. I presented you several other examples of other players in multiple sports who are too. Saying some players are overpaid on their output compared to others is like saying grass is green or the sky is blue.

Most realistic Bulldog fans probably align their opinion with you on that basic fact, but you keep on pressing repeat on the same song.

It's like you're weirdly bitter about it because your team got absolutely smoked in the finals by the one you're trolling.

I probably get paid more than you do for what I do 40-50 hours a week due to my superior intellect and potential as an employee. I don't suspect employees that are my junior would harp on about it and say I'm not worth it though.

It's subtle trolling disguised nonetheless.
That's unfair. I'm expressing an honestly held view. I haven't abused anyone or resorted to name-calling. And people are happy to respond. So what's the problem?

If you cannot add anything further to the conversation other than asking the same question over and over again when others have explained their answers, then you have nothing further to add to the conversation.
It's a debate.

Why put your fingers on one side of the scales but not the other?

It's almost like you feel a need to handicap the discussion.

Either move on from the topic of Tom Boyd's paycheck or you may find yourself no longer participating in the conversation if you cannot add any new dimension to the topic.
What about the Dogs supporters who simply insist 'we won the flag therefore Boyd isn't overpaid'?

That argument has also been made several times. Will you demand they 'add a new dimension'?

My plan was to respond to the part of the post that acknowledged the obvious reality in a straightforward manner, while ignoring the several paragraphs of false nuance arguing against it.

"false nuance".

That's that :fire: pseudo intellectual nonsense.

Were you at the 2016 Elimination Final that Tom Boyd played in where the Eagles capitulated to the Dogs in Perth? Did you see him live that night?

why are people still responding to this potato
Up until this point I did not realise. You are right. He is a potato. Congratulations Tom Boyd (BOG) and commiserations to those who didn't quite get there this year, nor back into packs....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players are paid in order to win the club a premiership.
No Hamling - No premiership.

He should have got $1 million as well. Right?
Hamling was underpaid in 2016 for his performance. If he had been adequately paid in 2016, I wouldn't be upset. However, the club is hardly going to say "sorry, we've underpaid you this year, we're going to give you extra retrospectively". That would just be stupid.

Paying players is a means to an end- that end being premierships. Each club has a cap to use as they see fit to deliver that result. This year, we were the only team to deliver it. If Tom Boyd had received 90% of our cap in 2016, and we'd still won the premiership, I still wouldn't say he was overpaid (clearly, a lot of his teammates would've been severely underpaid if this were the case though).

In any case, in Tom's first two years at the club, he has probably received a total of about $1m (accounting for his standard draftee contract in 2015). To this stage, he's clearly been underpaid. In those two seasons, he's delivered a fantastic finals series and two monster performances to get us over the line in both a preliminary and grand final. So far, we've paid him about $1m over two years for the difference between a premiership and no premiership.

Will Tom be overpaid over the next five years of his contract? It depends how well he plays. Will he be overpaid for the next 5-7 remaining years of his career after that? It also remains to be seen.

Why don't you concede the obvious reality that Boyd has been overpaid?
So you disagree with the premise that we're worse off as a team, if we had a million more dollars in our salary cap but Tom Boyd decided to retire?

"false nuance".

That's that :fire: pseudo intellectual nonsense.
Sorry, I'll dumb it down for you next time.

Were you at the 2016 Elimination Final that Tom Boyd played in where the Eagles capitulated to the Dogs in Perth? Did you see him live that night?
I didn't. Was he worth $1 million that game as well?

Can I remind everybody of Ben Goldacre's famous quote: “You cannot reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into.”

This discussion isn't going to change anyone's minds...

I dunno. I think Sweet Jesus is beginning to waiver!

... so if your boss offered you X amount of money and X amount of years to join his team and achieve the ultimate success that has not been seen for 62 years. You did it, with 4 years to spare... what would you think if some nuffy thought, in his "reality" of crawlng beneath your triumphant feet, that you were over paid? Rather then you being the perfect person for the job and clearly your boss knew your worth and snatched you up while others in that nuffies "reality" drown in torrents of salty tears.

So the next 4 years you will essentially be working for free, and will deliver mutiple ultimate success out of the kindness of your over achieving and giving heart. Well done you, well done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back