Tom Lynch -- is he a criminally overrated footballer destined to disappoint at Richmond?

Tom Lynch: Has the AFL media overrated him??

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of both actually.
Riewoldt for one took a pay cut. Rance and Cotchin both accepted unders to stay at the club.
We know no Melbourne player would accept unders to stay. So I can understand that the team first culture at Richmond has you utterly perplexed. I guess that's part of why poor Melbourne won't taste ultimate success anytime in the foreseeable future.

We know no Melbourne player would accept unders to stay. So I can understand that the team first culture at Richmond has you utterly perplexed. I guess that's part of why poor Melbourne won't taste ultimate success anytime in the foreseeable future.
You had a team first culture.
Lynch is going to disrupt that.

In the end we both fell two wins short of the ultimate prize.
Difference is you were expected to romp it in and we weren't expected to make it past Geelong.

Last edited:
You had a team first culture.
Lynch is going to disrupt that.
Yup. Buddy Franklin to Sydney all over again. Tiger won a flag because they had amazing team harmony & across the board contributions, they're fools to risk that for an above-average KPF who already has knee issues.

Yup. Buddy Franklin to Sydney all over again. Tiger won a flag because they had amazing team harmony & across the board contributions, they're fools to risk that for an above-average KPF who already has knee issues.
Lynch is closer to Tippett than to Franklin. Otherwise I agree with this.

Why do you think Hawthorn offered him more than Richmond did?
That's because we knew Richmond were offering Lynch 6 years. We have a wise policy of never handing out contracts longer than 5.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A criminally overrated footballer is one who gets 50 possessions and you still get flogged.
How 'bout one who kicks 5 goals but you still lose by 39? :$

That's because we knew Richmond were offering Lynch 6 years. We have a wise policy of never handing out contracts longer than 5.
No it’s because you’re desperate to cling on for dear life from the inevitable cliff you’re about to fall off.

No it’s because you’re desperate to cling on for dear life from the inevitable cliff you’re about to fall off.
Erm.... if we were so desperately trying to cling to this imaginary cliff of yours wouldn't we have offered Lynch 6 years and a lot more money? o_O

No, we missed out on Lynch for the same reason we missed out on Shiel - we were unwilling to pay the infated rates more desperate clubs were offering for two very good players who've been criminally overrated by many in the football world. Congrats Tigers on being suckered into the Lynch hype. :$

Na, when you're flogged in the midfield that's what's called a champion.
Champion? Mouthy smararse ******* is my preferred description for Jack Riewoldt. :)

Erm.... if we were so desperately trying to cling to this imaginary cliff of yours wouldn't we have offered Lynch 6 years and a lot more money? o_O

No, we missed out on Lynch for the same reason we missed out on Shiel - we were unwilling to pay the infated rates more desperate clubs were offering for two very good players who've been criminally overrated by many in the football world. Congrats Tigers on being suckered into the Lynch hype. :$
You offered Lynch 500k per year more than we did. And just like Prestia before him, he saw the massive cliff your club is hanging onto by its fingernails.

You offered Lynch 500k per year more than we did.
ROFL in your dreams we did. Do you have a sauce for that? No, of course you don't so quite telling porkies.

My source is that you are spending the $1.4m you put aside for Lynch on Wingard and a crippled Scully. Plus 400k for Scrimshaw.
Does that figure include a recruiting wage for $cully's dad?

You offered Lynch 500k per year more than we did. And just like Prestia before him, he saw the massive cliff your club is hanging onto by its fingernails.
Imagine how much he would be laying into Geelong for going with the same extreme desperation strategy Hawthorn is currently employing?

My source is that you are spending the $1.4m you put aside for Lynch on Wingard and a crippled Scully. Plus 400k for Scrimshaw.
"My source" lol

Invisible-Man.jpg

Back