Recommitted Tom Sparrow [re-signed until 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

He will have trouble breaking into our inside midfield so makes sense. Highly rated internally though so he won't come cheap. Can't see us letting him go for anything less than a 2nd.

I imagine the Crows would offer Freo's third, knowing that they would have the PSD as an option if negotiations break down.

I imagine the Crows would offer Freo's third, knowing that they would have the PSD as an option if negotiations break down.
Freo third doesn’t look at all fair. We’d surely just deal on your pick 31 which will be closer to 40 come the draft. Not many clubs would walk a player to pre season draft over that pick.

I would think the crows wouldn’t want to mess around threatening to walk players through the psd when they’ve got years ahead of trying to rebuild and entice players to the club.

i cant see that crows and melb would be that far apart on his value. Especially in this draft. It’s a no brainer for adelaide to do this deal easily and quickly when he’s a ready made mid.

I would think the crows wouldn’t want to mess around threatening to walk players through the psd when they’ve got years ahead of trying to rebuild and entice players to the club.

i cant see that crows and melb would be that far apart on his value. Especially in this draft. It’s a no brainer for adelaide to do this deal easily and quickly when he’s a ready made mid.
Perhaps Crows offer the Dogs 2nd for Sparrow, but would want an upgrade of their 2020/4 to Melb's 3rd.

They can offer their 2020/2+4 to GWS for Hately, 2020/3

I now have a lot more confidence that our 2020/2 won't be pick 19!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps Crows offer the Dogs 2nd for Sparrow, but would want an upgrade of their 2020/4 to Melb's 3rd.

They can offer their 2020/2+4 to GWS for Hately, 2020/3

I now have a lot more confidence that our 2020/2 won't be pick 19!
Melbourne drafted Sparrow with pick 27 2 drafts ago, and he’s tracking nicely.

2 years later we are going to trade him away for a worse pick and then down grade our 3rd round pick to a 4th?

we drafted him, developed him, we aren’t downgrading in the draft.

Melbourne drafted Sparrow with pick 27 2 drafts ago, and he’s tracking nicely.

2 years later we are going to trade him away for a worse pick and then down grade our 3rd round pick to a 4th?

we drafted him, developed him, we aren’t downgrading in the draft.
You'd want to get a contract in front of him quick smart then. I'd have thought if he was tracking that nicely, he'd already have one signed.

You'd want to get a contract in front of him quick smart then. I'd have thought if he was tracking that nicely, he'd already have one signed.
Although some players are signing up. The AFL haven’t given an update on list sizes or cap size. Reckon we’ll be keen to keep him. Who knows if he’s keen to stay. Haven’t heard anything either way.

He is tracking nicely, he got 5 games in a row in before injury forced him out.

Of course we want to sign him, but if he wants to return home we aren’t downgrading our draft position.

We used pick 27 on him, he’s been getting games this year, we’d want a similar pick in return and then a later pick upgrade for the development put in.

Of course we want to sign him, but if he wants to return home we aren’t downgrading our draft position.

We used pick 27 on him, he’s been getting games this year, we’d want a similar pick in return and then a later pick upgrade for the development put in.
I almost feel guilty after the lever trade and think we owe you guys a decent pick..but it will come down to how much leverage the PSD has in negotiations should Sparrow want to come to Adelaide and who else might want to come (ie Hately possibly)

Last Year the crows lost Greenwood to GC when they screwed us by offering up a pick in the 40's for him or saying he could walk to the PSD. He was worth every bit of a good 2nd rounder but we didn't get it. The crows got shafted and had to take the offer and walk. This time round the shoe is on the other foot but there should still be goodwill between clubs and I would think that a late 2nd if the club could split maybe the Atkins compo pick if it gets band 3 for us for 2 mid / late 2nds should be around the mark

I almost feel guilty after the lever trade and think we owe you guys a decent pick..but it will come down to how much leverage the PSD has in negotiations should Sparrow want to come to Adelaide and who else might want to come (ie Hately possibly)
Last Year the crows lost Greenwood to GC when they screwed us by offering up a pick in the 40's for him or saying he could walk to the PSD. He was worth every bit of a good 2nd rounder but we didn't get it. The crows got shafted and had to take the offer and walk. This time round the shoe is on the other foot but there should still be goodwill between clubs and I would think that a late 2nd if the club could split maybe the Atkins compo pick if it gets band 3 for us for 2 mid / late 2nds should be around the mark
I think Melbourne got a bit more out of Lever trade than Adelaide did lol. Don’t owe us anything.

But that trade shows what Melbourne do regularly, when we target a player we offer good trade compensation and get the trade done. We create good trading relationships with other clubs. Such as when we offered a good deal to Essendon for Melksham, the following year we got Hibberd on a good deal. I wouldn’t expect Adelaide to be any different.

I think Melbourne got a bit more out of Lever trade than Adelaide did lol. Don’t owe us anything.

But that trade shows what Melbourne do regularly, when we target a player we offer good trade compensation and get the trade done. We create good trading relationships with other clubs. Such as when we offered a good deal to Essendon for Melksham, the following year we got Hibberd on a good deal. I wouldn’t expect Adelaide to be any different.
The Lever Trade I just tried to follow. Pick 10 went to Carlton for Gibbs. The other pick I lost track of and gave up. Seems was
Also traded to Carlton in the deal for Carlton 2019 first. Carlton got Stocker with the original Melbourne pick. I think.

The Lever Trade I just tried to follow. Pick 10 went to Carlton for Gibbs. The other pick I lost track of and gave up. Seems was
Also traded to Carlton in the deal for Carlton 2019 first. Carlton got Stocker with the original Melbourne pick. I think.
Melbourne also got back pick 35 Harrison Petty, and a future 3rd. We packaged that pick with another pick to move up the draft and we selected the guy this thread is about Tom Sparrow.

Yes Adelaide traded pick 10 to Carlton in the Gibbs deal.

The future first round pick ended up being 19 which was packaged with a future first 2019 Pick 11 traded to Carlton for Carlton’s future first 2019 pick 4. Adelaide trade pick 4 to GWS for pick 6 (Fischer McAsey) and GWS’ 2020 first.

Last edited:

Unless they're a regular and a good one at that they don't go up in value.

Will be interesting to see whether Lever will ever get a top 4 best and fairest like Gibbs did? Presume he will stay for a smaller contract and you will get a lot more out of him than we did Gibbs but something really needs to click before 2021. May looks immense. Lever just a guy (and worse than that in the last game). A mile away from his 2017 form.

The PSD is a tool given to rebuilding clubs.

The Crows were a victim of it last year when GCS have them a "take it or leave it" offer on Greenwood.

I'm sure we'll offer something fair for Sparrow, but part of measuring fair value is considering the potential of the PSD.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back