Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Melbourne drafted Sparrow with pick 27 2 drafts ago, and he’s tracking nicely.

2 years later we are going to trade him away for a worse pick and then down grade our 3rd round pick to a 4th?

we drafted him, developed him, we aren’t downgrading in the draft.
This assumes he wants to leave and gets offered a decent contract by the Crows (or similar).

Most draftees from 2018 have already been re-signed, so the rumours are understandable.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
He is tracking nicely, he got 5 games in a row in before injury forced him out.

Of course we want to sign him, but if he wants to return home we aren’t downgrading our draft position.

We used pick 27 on him, he’s been getting games this year, we’d want a similar pick in return and then a later pick upgrade for the development put in.
Not sure why you get that choice.

If the Crows have a deal agreed with him, I think we'd make a fair offer knowing that he would also be our selection in the PSD if it comes to that.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I think Melbourne got a bit more out of Lever trade than Adelaide did lol. Don’t owe us anything.

But that trade shows what Melbourne do regularly, when we target a player we offer good trade compensation and get the trade done. We create good trading relationships with other clubs. Such as when we offered a good deal to Essendon for Melksham, the following year we got Hibberd on a good deal. I wouldn’t expect Adelaide to be any different.
I'm not sure I understand your Lever point?

He's been a massive disappointment, and is both overpaid and you gave up two first rounders for him. How did you get more out of it?

littlegg

Senior List
Aug 8, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
The PSD is a tool given to rebuilding clubs.

The Crows were a victim of it last year when GCS have them a "take it or leave it" offer on Greenwood.

I'm sure we'll offer something fair for Sparrow, but part of measuring fair value is considering the potential of the PSD.

psd is a myth never happens,(suns had a million picks)

what would jones be worth trade wise if tom is worth a 3rd? one has showed more than the other imo

Unless they're a regular and a good one at that they don't go up in value.
He was becoming a regular, 5 games in a row and played well. Injury only reason why he’s out.
This assumes he wants to leave and gets offered a decent contract by the Crows (or similar).

Most draftees from 2018 have already been re-signed, so the rumours are understandable.
No one is denying any rumours. If he wants home a deal will get done.

Will be interesting to see whether Lever will ever get a top 4 best and fairest like Gibbs did? Presume he will stay for a smaller contract and you will get a lot more out of him than we did Gibbs but something really needs to click before 2021. May looks immense. Lever just a guy (and worse than that in the last game). A mile away from his 2017 form.
I'm not sure I understand your Lever point?

He's been a massive disappointment, and is both overpaid and you gave up two first rounders for him. How did you get more out of it?
I didn’t bring Lever up, but he’s a good player, not disappointed in him.

Point was Melbourne build good trading relationships with many clubs, Essendon, GWS and Freo standout for us, I think we’d also have a good one with Adelaide after the Lever deal. Everyone was saying that was going to be a nightmare of a trade that would last all trade week, yet Melbourne gave up compensation that Adelaide was happy with and was the first trade signed off during trade week. Melbourne and Adelaide will get a trade done easily if Sparrow wants to go home.

As mentioned earlier we also got Petty and Sparrow out of the trade.
what did you get out of the 2 first rounders? Gibbs and????? I think Melbourne are ahead.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
psd is a myth never happens,(suns had a million picks)

what would jones be worth trade wise if tom is worth a 3rd? one has showed more than the other imo
The PSD happened LAST YEAR.

And even more relevant than Martin slipping to the PSD was the fact that GC could use it as a threat to the Crows, in order to get Greenwood for unders.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
He was becoming a regular, 5 games in a row and played well. Injury only reason why he’s out.

Point was Melbourne build good trading relationships with many clubs, Essendon, GWS and Freo standout for us, I think we’d also have a good one with Adelaide after the Lever deal. Everyone was saying that was going to be a nightmare of a trade that would last all trade week, yet Melbourne gave up compensation that Adelaide was happy with and was the first trade signed off during trade week. Melbourne and Adelaide will get a trade done easily if Sparrow wants to go home.

what did you get out of the 2 first rounders? Gibbs and????? I think Melbourne are ahead.
I agree about your point that Melbourne are fair traders.

You're also paying Lever $700k. We traded both picks we got from you; one for Gibbs and one to move us up to the top 4 in the 2019 draft (actually, that pick ultimately became pick 6 and probably pick 8, but that's another story).

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Imagine we'll be angling for an early 2nd and it'll probably settle around a mid 2nd.
He probably hasn't quite shown enough as an uncontracted 2nd year player to get you a better draft pick than he cost you but he hasn't lost much value either.

I'm starting to think he re-signs. Jones retires and Viney perhaps leaves, and there's suddenly a lot more opportunity.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
He probably hasn't quite shown enough as an uncontracted 2nd year player to get you a better draft pick than he cost you but he hasn't lost much value either.

I'm starting to think he re-signs. Jones retires and Viney perhaps leaves, and there's suddenly a lot more opportunity.

I’d like to keep him too, doubt Viney leaves but I’d like to move Brayshaw on if possible.

I agree about your point that Melbourne are fair traders.

You're also paying Lever $700k. We traded both picks we got from you; one for Gibbs and one to move us up to the top 4 in the 2019 draft (actually, that pick ultimately became pick 6 and probably pick 8, but that's another story).
You traded your own first as well to move up to 4 which resulted in 6 and 8.

Like I said I’m not disappointed in Lever, good player. He just looked better better when he didn’t have an opponent at Adelaide

DC95B5C3-A639-4ED0-A2B0-002E8C0EEFB6.jpeg

DDCABEDA-4FAB-4677-B190-D7051FA872A5.jpeg

Along with Petty and Sparrow I think Melbourne got more out of that trade.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think Lever has been a bit up and down this year. Hasn’t got the confidence back quiet yet. Once he starts holding his marks again he’ll be a different player. Tried to punch everything 25 rows back. But let’s face it. He’s not getting beaten much. Long term Dees will be very happy with this trade.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He is tracking nicely, he got 5 games in a row in before injury forced him out.

Of course we want to sign him, but if he wants to return home we aren’t downgrading our draft position.

We used pick 27 on him, he’s been getting games this year, we’d want a similar pick in return and then a later pick upgrade for the development put in.

The reality is that Melbourne don't have a leg to stand on in terms of demanding a pick... Uncontracted unproven players don't keep their original draft pick position on the trade table, it is a fact proven many times.

And of course if he signs a contract at Melbourne then trade discussion is moot.

But you are not getting 27 or better if he leaves. Simply not. No matter how nicely he is tracking. Melbourne have no upper hand if Sparrow requests a trade.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
The reality is that Melbourne don't have a leg to stand on in terms of demanding a pick... Uncontracted unproven players don't keep their original draft pick position on the trade table, it is a fact proven many times.

And of course if he signs a contract at Melbourne then trade discussion is moot.

But you are not getting 27 or better if he leaves. Simply not. No matter how nicely he is tracking. Melbourne have no upper hand if Sparrow requests a trade.
No one could argue Melbourne have the upper hand. Just more like we have been pretty decent in previous trades and would expect fair compo back.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
If Brad Crouch goes I could see the appeal of Sparrow the Crows.

But likewise if Melbourne move on from guys ahead of Sparrow in the pecking order I think he'd be keen to stay. He looked to have found a niche in the side before injury.

Pick 30ish I guess, but I wonder if the Crows could spare Seedsman or one of their plethora of half back flankers.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
If Brad Crouch goes I could see the appeal of Sparrow the Crows.

But likewise if Melbourne move on from guys ahead of Sparrow in the pecking order I think he'd be keen to stay. He looked to have found a niche in the side before injury.

Pick 30ish I guess, but I wonder if the Crows could spare Seedsman or one of their plethora of half back flankers.
I'd swap him for Seed. Done deal.
See, that was easy!

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast

I’d say GC are happy to trade again.
Ben King for Steven May and kk would be considered favourable for us.
Maybe the same for you too?

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You traded your own first as well to move up to 4 which resulted in 6 and 8.

Like I said I’m not disappointed in Lever, good player. He just looked better better when he didn’t have an opponent at Adelaide

View attachment 962717
View attachment 962719
Along with Petty and Sparrow I think Melbourne got more out of that trade.
This is cool. But data is 3 years old.
Know if there is an update available anywhere?

edit - ok read the key wrong.Does this include 2020 data?

Back