MVP Tommy Boyd - The Grand Final Enigma

Remove this Banner Ad

Question: which VFL player kicked the most goals in the 1980's (1980-1989)? Answer: Simon Beasley

As a 7 year old, one of my earliest footy memories is seeing Beaser kick his ton at the G in the 85 finals...got my first jumper that week with a big 18 on the back.

Recall the old man being devastated the following week out at VFL Park - I didn't fully understand what it meant - probably a good thing, really.

Let's just think about what would scare the opposition the most. Would you really care if the dogs had stringer and Bonti in the midfield getting contested ball? Not really.
Would they be scary at CHF, with a license to roam?
I would be more scared of this setup:
FF: Hunter Boyd Grant
HF: Crameri Bontempelli Stringer
They are all mobile, can take overhead marks, are creative and matchup problems.
If I think about this lineup, Grant if not in form is the weakest link but then next is potentially Crameri.
Crameri got best defender for most of last year.... Still performed as our best forward target until Stringer emerged later.
Boyd makes us a much better side! Thanks Griff for your sacrifice to the plastic franchise and thanks AFL for ruling the Swans out of that deal.
The only problem with your theory is the deepest forward (Boyd) in modern football regularly finds himself standing at centre half back
whilst in transition or press if you like. I agree that the big forward
helps create traditional mark/kick goals and spillage goals (front and
centre), but the goals from turnover stat is the one most of the good
teams are chasing which usually ends in goals to the transition players
rather than the big forwards. In the perfect world you have both.

I'd take Bontempelli in the midfield every day over as a forward, his clearance work is underrated.

As a 7 year old, one of my earliest footy memories is seeing Beaser kick his ton at the G in the 85 finals...got my first jumper that week with a big 18 on the back.

Recall the old man being devastated the following week out at VFL Park - I didn't fully understand what it meant - probably a good thing, really.

The 85 finals series was a rollercoaster for me.

In 74, the fact we made the finals was an end in itself to me, then in 76 I was more devastated, particularly as we led through the 2nd and 3rd quarters and late into the 4th and should have won - Featherby, Huppatz, Stoneham, Jennings all dominated, as did Quinlan, and Templeton kicked 4. During the season we lost to Geelong by 2, then beat them by 12, and lost the EF by 7. At KP in R7, we led by 4 goals at 3QT, then they kicked 5 to 1 in the 4th to get up.

But 85 - I went with a big group of family and friends to the QF, and we were all optimistic - by half time, we were all devastated. Then we bounced back against North at the G and smashed them, and again in the PF, led very late in the game, but same old story. (I dread PFs, the first of many PF disasters for me.)

I was old enough to drive in 85, and after the PF game, a Hawthorn supporter cut me off trying to get out of the Waverley carpark - my mate jumped out of the passenger seat and I thought he was going to dismantle their car - he and I didn't take it well, and my Essendon-supporting mate came with us and he was shattered too - mainly because he hates Hawthorn!

Pumped about Boyd. The main reason I went for the dogs originally was that as a little fella I saw the imposing figure of Chris Grant and saw the symbol of our club. The big guy we could get behind.

Boyd could become the AFL equivalent of Shaq. Any club would want him and is the perfect get out option. Has terrific skills for a forward 50 player too

Pumped about Boyd. The main reason I went for the dogs originally was that as a little fella I saw the imposing figure of Chris Grant and saw the symbol of our club. The big guy we could get behind.

Boyd could become the AFL equivalent of Shaq. Any club would want him and is the perfect get out option. Has terrific skills for a forward 50 player too
Let's hope hes future contracts don't match shaqs ones haha

I don't think the comparison is close IMO.. I compare us now to 2004 when we had a few good players coming through, but needed someone to guide us in the right direction. Could Bev be one better than Eade to take us through that journey? I hope so.. I don't want the club to go down that rhode again....

I see what you did there.

I'd take Bontempelli in the midfield every day over as a forward, his clearance work is underrated.

I'm pretty sure that this season you will get your wish - Redpath will be given every chance to hold down CHF. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bontempelli play one of the tall forward posts in future years though - Bontempelli = Pavlich?

I'm pretty sure that this season you will get your wish - Redpath will be given every chance to hold down CHF. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bontempelli play one of the tall forward posts in future years though - Bontempelli = Pavlich?
Bonts > Pav?

Bonts > Pav?

Let's not get carried away just yet. I didn't mean that Bontempelli is as good as Pav yet and he is certainly not better - but his career could evolve similarly. Pav has been a dead-set gun for many years. Bont has the potential though (imo.)

Let's not get carried away just yet. I didn't mean that Bontempelli is as good as Pav yet and he is certainly not better - but his career could evolve similarly. Pav has been a dead-set gun for many years. Bont has the potential though (imo.)
Yeah I think Bonts' first year was a good sighter for what we'll see of him in his career. Kicked 16 goals in the last 10 games but was everywhere really. Key forward, link up forward, midfield.

Yeah I think Bonts' first year was a good sighter for what we'll see of him in his career. Kicked 16 goals in the last 10 games but was everywhere really. Key forward, link up forward, midfield.
I see Bonts' immediate role being as an inside mid when the ball is in the forward half, then as that first marking link out of defense in transition. With his massive wingspan he should usually get first hands on the ball, and if he doesn't mark then he has the speed-of-body, and more importantly, that elusive speed-of-mind and awareness to gather if spoiled. If Bevo does indeed prioritize ball users out of defense (and I have no reason to doubt that he will) then Bonts could be lethal as that first target. And with his height and versatility, if the run of play is really against us, then he is almost the perfect loose man in defense. Is upside is truly terrifying. The challenge for the club is to get him to fulfill his potential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But back to the main topic of the tread... I agree 100% with Pannalstaroz. Tommy doesn't need to kick a bag this year, next year, or even the year after (2018 onwards however is a different story). All he has to do is straighten us up, halve or win the tap in marking contests, block the defenders and let the mozzie-squad do their thing at his feet. The 1% are where his money will be earned for the next couple of years. And discount their worth to the success of the truly great teams.

I was 8yo when he made his debut and he was the reason for me following the Bulldogs from that day on.
I remember the 15 against the Saints - we kicked a record score that day (33 - 15 - 213)
One of the greatest days of my football going life.

I used to go to training after he'd done his knee just hoping he'd be back as soon as possible. Unfortunately he probably came back too early. I was amazed he could play at all with the enormous brace and strapping he wore on his leg when he came back.

The most exciting forward we've had in my time of watching the Dogs. Hopefully Tom B will be the next big thing.

Bonts is the white Adam Goodes for mine. You wouldn't dream of playing Goodes in his prime as a pure CHF and we shouldn't be thinking the same for Bonts either.

Bonts is the white Adam Goodes for mine. You wouldn't dream of playing Goodes in his prime as a pure CHF and we shouldn't be thinking the same for Bonts either.
I understand your point it's just I get so sick of us breaking down in our fwd thrusts when it reaches CHF because we never seem to have anyone strong and mobile enough to mark it consistently. The ball then gets cleared way to easily off the half fwd flank and we get creamed on the counter.

It's no good having Boyd if we can't get it past CHF to get it into the forward 50 where he should be waiting. If Redpath can do that job then great but I love Bonts mobility, marking and smarts in this position while having the licence to roam a bit upfield as others have said.

That doesn't mean he can't do stints in the midfield like Pav and Goodes have done but I'm not sure we won't still come unstuck without a really good Centre Half Forward.

Probably more PC to call him our Adam Goodes equivalent Easty. But I agree with the comparison.

2 years ago, if someone told you that Boyd and Bontempelli were to be teammates at a club other than GWS, you'd tell them they're 'avin' a larf.

FWIW, Bonti, 22 games and 17 goals this year.
T Boyd, 19 and 29.
Stringer, 22 and 44.
Honeychurch, 10 and 7.

2 years ago, if someone told you that Boyd and Bontempelli were to be teammates at a club other than GWS, you'd tell them they're 'avin' a larf.

FWIW, Bonti, 22 games and 17 goals this year.
T Boyd, 19 and 29.
Stringer, 22 and 44.
Honeychurch, 10 and 7.
What about Crameri? What's your gut feeling coming into round 1 with the possible penalties just wondering?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back