Tour De France 2014 Stage 2: York - Sheffield

Remove this Banner Ad

Stage 2: York - Sheffield

Current Jersey Leaders

Yellow: Marcel Kittel (SHI)
White: Peter Sagan (CAN)
Green: Marcel Kittel (SHI) Worn by; Bryan Coquard (EUC)
Polkadot: Jens Voigt (TRK)
Team: SKY

Stage 1 was a rather mundane affair, marked by Jens Voigt's 50km solo effort to capture the polka dot jersey. The final sprint should've been straight forward, however Cavendish, as he often does, thinks he is the king of the peleton and tried to push his way past Simon Gerrans, which ended up in both of them hitting the deck about 400m out. Kittel ended up winning the sprint from Sagan, with Navardauskas third.

map-02.jpg

PROFIL.png

PROFILKMS.png

General Classification after Stage 1:
GER 1 KITTEL, Marcel (GIANT-SHIMANO) 4:44:07
SVK 2 SAGAN, Peter (CANNONDALE)
LTU 3 NAVARDAUSKAS, Ramunas (GARMIN SHARP)
FRA 4 COQUARD, Bryan (EUROPCAR)
AUS 5 ROGERS, Michael (TINKOFF-SAXO)
GBR 6 FROOME, Christopher (SKY)
NOR 7 KRISTOFF, Alexander (KATUSHA)
BEL 8 VANMARCKE, Sep (BELKIN)
ESP 9 ROJAS GIL, Jose Joaquin (MOVISTAR)
SUI 10 ALBASINI, Michael (ORICA GreenEDGE)

Looking at this stage, it has a real spring classic look to it, with a number of small climbs throughout the stage. There is a real chance that a breakaway could make it to the end here, but given that we are still really early on in the tour, I think the sprinters' teams will still try and keep it all together, if possible.

I think it will end up as a bunch sprint, but I'm not sure whether Kittel will make it to the end. Degenkolb might be the guy for Giant Shimano tomorrow. My tip for the stage though, will be Peter Sagan.

Watch out for; Jens Voigt going on the attack again to solidify his lead in the KOTM competition and ensure he wears the jersey for the next week or so.

Conversation regarding past cases of PED use or innuendo surrounding current riders will not be tolerated. This thread is specifically about Stage 2 of the 2014 Tour de France, so let's keep it that way.

Last edited:
Cav has a dislocated shoulder, decision to be made race morning (their time) if he continues. Has taken full responsibility for the crash.

http://www1.skysports.com/cycling/n...endish-dislocates-shoulder-in-stage-one-crash

In a team statement, Cavendish said: "I'm gutted about the crash today. It was my fault. I will personally apologise to Simon Gerrans as soon as I get the chance.

"In reality, I tried to find a gap that wasn't really there. I wanted to win today, I felt really strong and was in a great position to contest the sprint thanks to the unbelievable efforts of my team. Sorry to all the fans that came out to support. It was truly incredible.”

Omega Pharma - Quick-Step's statement continued: "Mark Cavendish underwent further examination on his right shoulder after today's crash. The imaging underlined ligament ruptures, with an AC-joint dislocation, which causes him a lot of pain. A final decision on his participation in tomorrow's stage will be taken tomorrow morning."

Cote de Buttertubs yesterday - today the wonderfully named Cote de Jenkins Road - and the even more wonderfully named Cote de Blubberhouses.:):D

Cote de Buttertubs yesterday - today the wonderfully named Cote de Jenkins Road - and the even more wonderfully named Cote de Blubberhouses.:):D
Ah yes, the mythical Cote de Blubberhouses. Right up there with Alpe d'Huez and the Angrilu.

I did wonder why Gerrans was attempting to contest the sprint, at the end of Stage 1 - a stage he had no chance of winning. Turns out that there was method in his madness after all.

We all know that Stage 2 is "lumpy" - it's being described as a UK version of Amstel Gold. This means that the likes of Kittel & Cavendish, both of who struggle to ride over anything larger than a speed bump, are unlikely to finish with the leading group. By finishing at the front of the race on Stage 1, Gerrans was hoping to be the best placed of the riders in the lead group at the end of Stage 2 (even if he didn't win the stage outright), thus putting himself in yellow for a day or two. The crash with Cav has put paid to this plan. He was given the same time as the rest of the peleton, but was one of the last to cross the line. If he wants to be wearing yellow tonight, then he has to win the stage outright with a time gap over 2nd place.

Anybody think one of the GC favoured riders can win this stage?

From what I've read in the guide it suggests this might be the case.

Anybody think one of the GC favoured riders can win this stage?

From what I've read in the guide it suggests this might be the case.
I'd think it's not hard enough. Rodriguez and Voeckler might have a crack, but I don't consider them to be GC contenders

I did wonder why Gerrans was attempting to contest the sprint, at the end of Stage 1 - a stage he had no chance of winning. Turns out that there was method in his madness after all.
Pretty obvious what he was going for, I don't think they were hiding that plan either (have heard White say stage 2 is great for Gerrans multiple times).

Not to mention the fact that stage 1 had some lumps at the end which may have fatigued the out and out sprinters and Gerrans is no mug in a sprint to begin with.

Pretty obvious what he was going for, I don't think they were hiding that plan either (have heard White say stage 2 is great for Gerrans multiple times).

Not to mention the fact that stage 1 had some lumps at the end which may have fatigued the out and out sprinters and Gerrans is no mug in a sprint to begin with.
There has certainly never been any secret that OGE & Gerrans were going to target stage 2. I just didn't consider the impact that stage 1 could have on that result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So is this a Sagan stage?
Possibly. I tipped Sagan on the profile, but looking at the last climb, he will struggle to get over it. I think it is only 800m in length, but it hits 25% gradient in spots. Could be a stage for Rodriguez/Rolland/Voeckler/Valverde/Slagter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back