Strategy Trade and List management (Add your rumour to the simmering stew that is the post season. Edition.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So with Dahlhaus and Wallis looking more frisky lately, is the consensus now to do what it takes to keep both??

Still a No from me on Dahlhaus, unless he stays on the cheap (which of course he won’t).

Still happy to keep Wallis on a moderate deal. But if there’s big cash for him elsewhere, I’m comfy seeing him walk as well.

Wallis I'm now keen on keeping , of course as long as it is market value only.
Dahl frustrates me , he is a heart and soul player , but man his kicking is just so bad.
I suspect he will be offered more than we are prepared to give him.

Wallis I'm now keen on keeping , of course as long as it is market value only.
Dahl frustrates me , he is a heart and soul player , but man his kicking is just so bad.
I suspect he will be offered more than we are prepared to give him.

Regarding Dahl I am thinking he maybe offered more by another club but it would have to be substantially more for him to entertain it. Substantially more is different from one person to another I know.

For Dahl leaving a club he played in a flag with, mates, etc etc it would take a fair offer over and above what we are willing to pay to move him away IMO.

but man his kicking is just so bad.

The devil you know. Kicking never was one of his strengths and similar to 2015 - he's playing an in and under role that is Libba's niche. In 2016 he and Libba were working as a cohesive unit around the ball - Libba in low first hands to the ball and out to Dalh who would then pass it on to Macrae, Bont, Hunter, JJ etc etc

I don't think we can afford to lose Wallis or Dahl. We just don't have enough experienced players on the list and our other experienced players (Dickson, Suckling, Picken) are struggling with injury.

While I agree, the duration and size of any deals are critical here too. Need to look beyond next year and look at who is likely to be looking for more dollars. Naughton, Young, English spring to mind here...

What about Kyle Langford from the bombers, were we semi interested in his draft year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Done some deep thought about list changes this year. I’ve come up with seven and I think it would be hard for anyone to disagree with these.

Out (trade or delist):
C. Smith- already retired
Honeychurch- lack of height and skills. Never ask for any more effort but effort will only get you so far.
Jong- poor skills, could net us a nice pick to minimise deficit
Campbell- way back in the queue and never going to get a game
Roughead- has completely fallen off, good clubman but boy he has been horrible this year.
Biggs- wonderful in 2016, has been unable to recapture this form and has been pretty poor for a while.
Collins- hasn’t cracked it yet after three years and looks to slow to make it at the highest level.

In:
Gaff- free agent
Rankine- high draft pick if he slips through
West- father son
Khamis- NGA
Gowers- Rookie promotion
R. Smith- RP
Lynch- RP

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

1000 likes for you sir. But perhaps we could go a little further with another later draft pick up or two and a DFA. Why? Three words: Dickson, Redpath, Picken.

1000 likes for you sir. But perhaps we could go a little further with another later draft pick up or two and a DFA. Why? Three words: Dickson, Redpath, Picken.
If they are getting delisted that means they are no good .. you are effectively replacing a no hoper with another .. what is the point?

If Carlton offered Pick 1 for Tom Boyd and pick 5 would we take it?

That would mean they are getting pick 5 for nothing!

But seriously, if Carlton chuck in their 2019 3rd rounder as steak knives, the answer would be yes from me.

How I break it down at this point.

Lock for future: McLean, Macrae, Bont, Richards, Naughton, English, JJ, Hunter, Daniel, Cordy, Williams, Dunkley, Libba, Adams, Gowers

Likely for future: Schache, Boyd, Lipinski, Dale, Crozier, Young, Wallis, Dal, Dale

Along for the ride (but may not be there when it comes): Picken, Dickson, Wood, Morris, Suckling, Trengove, Red

List cloggers/depth: Jong, Roberts, Smith, Biggs, Collins, Campbell, Webb, Roughead, Honeychurch

No idea - the rest.

Hold on to the first three groups if we can. The fourth move on this year and next. Provided we do ok with our ins I think we’ll take solid steps forward.

Like your thinking but the reality appears to be that Picken, Dickson and Redpath won't be serious contenders for senior games hereafter.

If Sam Power can't sign Wallis, I'll back over him with a golf cart.

People have been posting that the Bummers, fresh off their Stringer success, have the hots for Wallis and will offer him a deal that we will really have to think about before matching.

People have been posting that the Bummers, fresh off their Stringer success, have the hots for Wallis and will offer him a deal that we will really have to think about before matching.

If you define being 12 th on the ladder as being a 'success'. I guess.

But seriously they don't get it.

It's ok paying big $$$ for mature players but you need to develop your young players.

Billy Gowers says hello.

Yep failure to turn over our list enough has been a huge problem. Dalrymple was never given enough picks.IMO. Late and rookoe picks.like Lynch, Dahl, JJ and Gowers.prove its worth it

Last three yrs we have turned over 22 players equal lowest with the Saints...

Guys like Roberts, Campbell, Jong and Honey are some of the luckiest AFL players ever.

We don't necessarily have to match their offer to retain Wallis. Plenty of players remain at their current clubs when they could earn more elsewhere.

Yep failure to turn over our list enough has been a huge problem. Dalrymple was never given enough picks.IMO. Late and rookoe picks.like Lynch, Dahl, JJ and Gowers.prove its worth it

Last three yrs we have turned over 22 players equal lowest with the Saints...

Guys like Roberts, Campbell, Jong and Honey are some of the luckiest AFL players ever.
Couldn’t agree more. Maybe we kept them because they know our system? I dunno, that’s all I’ve got.

Hearing that Collins is in big trouble and not a lot of interest from other clubs.

Being a play from behind defender not suited to a game plan when all defenders need to roll up.

Management (his) reaching out to Sydney/ Dalrymple given he drafted him but not looking great for him ATM

Hearing that Collins is in big trouble and not a lot of interest from other clubs.

Being a play from behind defender not suited to a game plan when all defenders need to roll up.

Management (his) reaching out to Sydney/ Dalrymple given he drafted him but not looking great for him ATM
I know Collins has some bad raps on here but surely he has more upside than Roberts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back