Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
THE WESTERN Bulldogs remain unwilling to include their top draft selection – No.13 – in any negotiations for potential incoming bookends Josh Bruce and Alex Keath.

Bruce's worth is a polarising discussion, and St Kilda football boss Simon Lethlean told reporters on the opening day of the Telstra AFL Trade Period that pick 32 was not "appropriate" for him.

The problem is the Dogs' sole selection before that is 13, which they believe is too much for the 27-year-old key forward, who's kicked 36 or more goals in four of the past five seasons.

They are also reluctant to part with a future first- or second-round pick, because their Next Generation Academy prospect Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, a tall forward, is a possible top-five choice next year.

The Dogs think their No.45 pick is about right for Keath, an offer the Crows greeted with the same resistance as St Kilda with Bruce.

Part of that is based on the fact Brisbane last year sent No.32 and a future third-round selection to the Bulldogs for defender Marcus Adams, who is 18 months younger than Keath.

One solution that could be beneficial for all three clubs is for the Dogs to send 13, 32 and 53 to Adelaide for 23, 28 and Keath, a deal that values him just shy of pick 34 on the AFL Draft Value Index.

It would be closer to what the Crows want for Keath and they'd suddenly have a second first-round pick to accelerate their rebuild.

The Bulldogs could then present 28 to the Saints for Bruce, and St Kilda could flip that selection to Sydney for Jones.

Alternatively, all four teams could be involved in the one trade – but it all depends on the Western Bulldogs budging.

If this is the case then 32 plus a 3rd for Bruce, and 2 x 3rds for Keath sounds like a compromise we can achieve.

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
If McLean is ‘depth’ then we’re in a frigging good position. It wasn’t so long ago that he was being touted as a potential star. He’s been moved around a bit and his form has suffered. At 23 years old he is still young enough to improve. Maybe I’m biased and sentimental but I’d be gutted if we moved him on. The lad is a Dog through and through.
Sorry but no way McLean is NOT depth. he has as really good future at the dogs.

manutd/dogs

Team Captain
Feb 18, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
United

While Dal Santo will always annoy me, the man has a hard on for the Dogs, and this list review, while not extensive, is aeons better than Buckenara's (not that this is a particularly challenging feat). Worth a listen for those who haven't heard it.

Last edited:

Hobdog

Premiership Player
May 20, 2007
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lloyd very salty about the academies. Don’t understand his angst. Surely if 17 of the academy kids lined up in the Grand Final curtain raiser it means the academies are doing what they are meant to do? I get that it compromises the 2020 draft but perhaps it’s just a case that Essendon don’t have a descent academy kid.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lloyd very salty about the academies. Don’t understand his angst. Surely if 17 of the academy kids lined up in the Grand Final curtain raiser it means the academies are doing what they are meant to do? I get that it compromises the 2020 draft but perhaps it’s just a case that Essendon don’t have a descent academy kid.

Lloyd nearly as salty about NGA as he is about Daniher. Can't believe two top ten picks seems the accepted price for a broken down player accompanied by the strange media 'silence' on the reasons for leaving. The only comparison for Danihers reasons for leaving being made is with Buddy who was shown later to have mental health issues.

And NGA just seems to be zones by stealth. Not a fan but why not? The AFL continually tampers with the draft's integrity anyway with FA comp and priority picks. Joke of a competition.

Lloyd went with this as strong mail:
For
Keath,23,28

Then 28 for Bruce

For me it really comes down to if they think their target will be there at 13 or not
That's crap - we could get St Kilda's pick 18 with 13 and another pick, then trade up our third rounders to get a 2nd rounder for Keath.

Nice to see Ben King pulling the old, “I’ll lock in my cash at the suns then demand a trade in 12 months time”, trick.

Gives him the mega cash and he’ll end up in Melbs. Smart play.

And no, I don’t know anything. Just spitballing. That’s what I’d do if i were representing him. Smart either way.

LordC

Senior List
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Seems like overs to me & contrary to Power saying we won't trade our 1st pick.

Agree. 13 and a third round pick is worth 23 and 28. Which means we are paying for Keath with 32, why not just do that and offer the other thirds to stK for Bruce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray

Nailed it.

Ben King signed 3 yr extension.

What does this mean for the Saints?!
It means they’ll be asking for 2 first rounders when Max requests a move to Gold Coast in next year’s trade period.

They’ve always wanted to play together you know.

Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lloyd went with this as strong mail:
For
Keath,23,28

Then 28 for Bruce

For me it really comes down to if they think their target will be there at 13 or not
Over values Keath IMO as 13 is worth more than the points (in a practical/real world sense).

I'm OK with it if we switch out 32 for one of our third rounders. So we end up going to the draft with 23 and 32.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back