Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's my opinion based on watching him for the last couple of years at games(including last week's game which only highlighted it even more so). You don't have to agree, but there are plenty that do, as there is that probably don't.

Not sure anything I've said is comparable to a racist troll. s**t call by you.

I don’t see plenty agreeing, for a fact I recall a lot of people on here after the game saying Gardner would have been better suited. Minority, mate.

It’s very comparable when you are using your pre-determined assessment of a player to the extent of potting him at every available opportunity. It’s embarrassing of you and I would also implore you to be a better person, but hopefully you will take that advice on board, as he didn’t.

According to this article West Coast are willing to use their preseason draft pick to get Izak Rankine if he wants to leave GC and a trade with Adelaide isn't sorted. Adelaide’s offer is supposedly 5 years at $800k p.a. which West Coast would need to be able to match. Surely puts added doubt on rumours here of their cap being tight (which doesn't make sense to me anyway) and them willing to part with Barrass to relieve it.

They'd have a bunch of money from the big contracts they've signed to players like McGovern and Nic Nat not having contract triggers met. A lot of those contracts have baseline "outs" for clubs that they need to play 10+ games and finish top 15 or top 20 in the B&F and clubs can save a couple of hundred grand if that's not the case. Players still get paid a bucketload (ie Nic Nat will still be on close to a million a year, they might just have reverse triggered $100k out of the contract or whatever because he's been injured this year), but it opens up more space than expected.

That, and the underperformance of the players that did get games - players getting dropped from a team that's on the bottom of the ladder has no real market value above a minimum contract - with budgeting put aside for "expected improvement" that never came, means it's no issue for West Coast irrespective of Barrass.

According to this article West Coast are willing to use their preseason draft pick to get Izak Rankine if he wants to leave GC and a trade with Adelaide isn't sorted. Adelaide’s offer is supposedly 5 years at $800k p.a. which West Coast would need to be able to match. Surely puts added doubt on rumours here of their cap being tight (which doesn't make sense to me anyway) and them willing to part with Barrass to relieve it.

Could look at it the other way though that they’d rather spend that 800k on Rankine, a 10yr player, plus the two first rounders they’d get from Barrass.

I mean it’s not crazy depending on how they realistically see their rebuild timeline.

Pick 2, a top 10 pick, another two high first rounders next year (or similar, considering Barrass would go for roughly a 1st rounder this year & next as an example) and Rankine would be a hell of a base to build on compared to pick 2, 1x first rounder next year & Barrass who will be 30+ next time their challenging.

Not saying it’s likely, it’d be bloody ballsy, but not necessarily incomprehensible

I sound like a broke record but $800k for Rankine is ridiculous. Shown zero ability to play midfield and his ‘breakout year’ has been 13 possessions and 1.5 goals.

I remember when Brisbane overpayed for a young small forward from Adelaide and most people thought it was pretty ridiculous.

1660826603958.png

I respectfully disagree and think you would struggle to find a Fremantle supporter who has watched all or many of their games who would agree.

He has been very important structurally and performed strongly in both roles, particularly when they were playing better footy at the start of the year.
Was he even a best 22 lock at the start of the year? I remember him in and out of the side a little bit, then has been thrust forward of late and he’s looked out of place there for mine.

Okay B grader who would be a handy pickup for our defence at the right price.

He’s pretty limited though.

My take on who should be delisted or traded as follows :

Mitch Wallis - Trade or delist. No longer in our best 22, others have moved past him.
Josh Dunkley - Stay. One of our few tough in and under players. Would only consider trading for a top 10 pick which we won't get.
Lachie Hunter - Stay or retire. Not sure where his mind is at in regards to footy. Doubt he will be traded.
Stefan Martin - Retire. Gone for sure, should never have been retained this year. Body is cooked.
Josh Schache - Delist. Never going to make it and doubt any club would trade for him.
Taylor Duryea - Retire. Like Wallis, others have moved ahead of him.
Louis Butler - Delist. Looks VFL level only.
Charlie Parker - Delist. Haven't seen anything from him which looks AFL standard
Roarke Smith - Delist. Love his attitude and effort but his time is up.
Jason Johannisen - Hopefully keep. In our best 22 when fit and has genuine speed, something we lack at present.

Other thoughts :

Josh Bruce - Goes for 1 more year then delist. Darcy, Naughton & JUH are already in front of him
Robbie McComb - I would delist now but realistically will get 1 more year. Decision making and disposal is not up to AFL standard.
Anthony Scott - Look to move him on after next season. Tries hard but will never be in our best 22.
Mitch Hannan - As long as Bevo is at the club he will be safe but realistically should be gone once his contract expires.
Zaine Cordy - Don't rate him at all but until we can get or develop some better KPDs needs to hang around a bit longer. Hopefully Khamis and O'Brien can move in front of him.
Alex Keath - The fact that he is our best KPD is an indication as to how bad our defence is at present. Needs to stay around as having Gardner become our number 1 would be a disaster.

Give Jones and McLean a game or 2 before the season ends. Both should be close to best 22 next year. Draft the best available KPD this year and get Lobb if possible for our 2nd pick. If Fremantle say no then walk away.

Bevo should be moved on but we all know he will stay next season.
Really good summary
I hope we can keep JJ on less money.
Hunter seems a key when we win, has faults but seems crucial to me.
I’ve seen little in Parker, but I’d like to trust the recruiters and give him another year.. he’s one I’m actually watching next year for reasons I don’t know other than identifying traits.

If we get Logue, Jones and Barrass and also get Busslinget, we could add them to Keath, Gardner, Cordy, OBrien, Schache, Darcy and Khamis.

I do worry that 11 kpds may not quite cover us
Khamis and O'Brien I wouldn't say are KPDs. Keath and Jones are nudging/already 30, Cordy and Schache are known quantities and should be depth only. 8-9 KPDs on a list is fine imo, given our usual injury run we will be lucky to have 6 available at any one time. Ideally Footscray have 3 or 4 as well so the senior structure can be more easily replicated as well. I'd say it's simply expanding our premiership window from 2023 through to potentially 2030 with the likes of Logue and Darcy.

Khamis and O'Brien I wouldn't say are KPDs. Keath and Jones are nudging/already 30, Cordy and Schache are known quantities and should be depth only. 8-9 KPDs on a list is fine imo, given our usual injury run we will be lucky to have 6 available at any one time. Ideally Footscray have 3 or 4 as well so the senior structure can be more easily replicated as well. I'd say it's simply expanding our premiership window from 2023 through to potentially 2030 with the likes of Logue and Darcy.
The Barrrass thing is just straight up silly and someone begging for likes, Bont is a fine captain.
Lougue would be great, maybe half getable.
The Footscray defence is a problem, it seems shorter and weaker than the ones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of grey in this one given he chose to delist himself, rather than it be Carlton who did the delisting. I'm not sure if you qualify as a DFA if you walk out yourself.
If a players chooses to terminate a contract, they are delisted and should be considered as such.
Carlton had to seek special consideration for this 'decision'

If a players chooses to terminate a contract, they are delisted and should be considered as such.
Carlton had to seek special consideration for this 'decision'
Yes, but supposedly there are also rules around when they are eligible to be relisted again (although I haven't seen them anywhere). The result of Mal Michael's backflip years ago when Essendon got him after he 'retired' from Brisbane then immediately backflipped after he was off their list.

If that's the case then the AFL might also be bending the rules in our favour too.

The compo for Liam Jones will surely be the latest of picks considering his age and the contract we will give him.

There is so much noise about how poorly the Bombers have treated Rutten.

I suspect a number of their players will want out - anyone we should target?

Or perhaps send Dunkley there to that really strong culture he wanted to join 😂
Jordan Ridley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back