Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggiesin08

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bushrangers
I raised it a few days ago as well - with this list, now is the time to be using 110% of the soft cap, get the training and rehab right - and win another flag.

It's not the time to be penny pinching....
Just had a look at the soft cap taxes (on Wikipedia). Looks like it’s 37.5% of the overspend for first year and 75.0% of the overspend for “repeat offenders”.

Soft cap next year is $6.95m so paying and extra $695k (10%) would cost the club a further $261k in taxes. Doing it again in 2024 would cost the club $521k in taxes.

I would definitely be taking the hit in 2023 then re-assess in a years time. If it works then it was worth it and if it doesn’t then Bevo probably isn’t there in 2024 - his salary versus an incoming coach puts you back down again below the cap.

What I don’t understand though is with those tax rates why the **** you would waste list spots on old players like Stef Martin or keeping Wallis on the list just to pay them outside of the soft cap. The list spots in my view are much more valuable than shifting money between soft caps and salary caps to avoid the tax at what should be pretty low wages (plus the 2 extra draftee wages you would carry).

*Edit: The soft cap operates as a minimum function of [x]% of overspend or $1m (first time) or $2m (repeat offenders). The existence of those ceilings to me indicates at least some clubs would be planning to spend >$2.7m above the soft cap.

Weightman needs to stop trying for pack marks, he needs to start crumbing and apply better pressure (he hardly ever lays tackles).

It killed us this year when we had Naughton, Juh and weightman flying for pack marks and no one was on the deck.
Averages nearly 2 tackles a game. Not elite by any means but “hardly ever” is not correct.

West averages 2.6 by comparison.

Agree their cohesion re marking and crumbing in the forward line is poor.

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Edmund either reads bigfooty or has also heard that we are going to appoint a new senior assistant who is very experienced. Reported on SEN this morning.

I wonder who is available?!

Foxman98

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
As much as Jones, Tomlinson and Lobb aren't superstar and overly inspiring pick ups they help us fill a very big void in our KPP stocks. Jones/Tomlinson/Gardner/Keath with Darcy and a draft pick developing is decent Lobb/Bruce/Naughton/Jamarra with another draftee developing again is very good. We now will have good depth at VFL level as well as hopefully some players developing down there to come and replace the older guys over the coming years.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
Just had a look at the soft cap taxes (on Wikipedia). Looks like it’s 37.5% of the overspend for first year and 75.0% of the overspend for “repeat offenders”.

Soft cap next year is $6.95m so paying and extra $695k (10%) would cost the club a further $261k in taxes. Doing it again in 2024 would cost the club $521k in taxes.

I would definitely be taking the hit in 2023 then re-assess in a years time. If it works then it was worth it and if it doesn’t then Bevo probably isn’t there in 2024 - his salary versus an incoming coach puts you back down again below the cap.

What I don’t understand though is with those tax rates why the **** you would waste list spots on old players like Stef Martin or keeping Wallis on the list just to pay them outside of the soft cap. The list spots in my view are much more valuable than shifting money between soft caps and salary caps to avoid the tax at what should be pretty low wages (plus the 2 extra draftee wages you would carry).

*Edit: The soft cap operates as a minimum function of [x]% of overspend or $1m (first time) or $2m (repeat offenders). The existence of those ceilings to me indicates at least some clubs would be planning to spend >$2.7m above the soft cap.

That was the argument I raised earlier. Why have McComb, Martin etc on the list - pay the latter in the soft cap and get an extra player - even if just a roughie/1% chance of making it - it's still better odds than McComb or Martin.

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Edmund either reads bigfooty or has also heard that we are going to appoint a new senior assistant who is very experienced. Reported on SEN this morning.

I wonder who is available?!
Not sure who is ‘available’ but it didn’t stop other clubs poaching King & Hansen very late in the offseason despite them seemingly committed to the club so it essentially could be anyone.

doggiesin08

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bushrangers
That was the argument I raised earlier. Why have McComb, Martin etc on the list - pay the latter in the soft cap and get an extra player - even if just a roughie/1% chance of making it - it's still better odds than McComb or Martin.
Agree. Go and ask the NAB League teams if there are any rucks they’d list again as 19 year olds next year if not selected and just put them on the list instead of Martin.

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Players that could leave

Josh Dunkley
has officially requested a trade to Brisbane, two years after his unsuccessful attempt to get the Essendon in the 2020 Trade Period. But this time, Dunkley is out of contract as a non-free agent. Dunkley had a career best season in 2022 with the club “disappointed” in his decision to exit. Jason Johannisen remains out of contract after 11 seasons at the club. He fell out of favour at stages in 2022 and is reportedly on the Gold Coast Suns’ radar. West Coast also made a play for the utility a few years back, so don’t count them out. Josh Schache is another out-of-contract player who failed to secure his place in the Dogs best 22. And with the rise of youngsters Jamarra Ugle-Hagen and Sam Darcy, Schache could struggle again in 2023. Zaine Cordy is another who could look for a move away from the Dogs.

Players that could arrive

Melbourne forward Adam Tomlinson has reportedly undergone a medical at Whitten Oval, as the Dogs look to build support for Aaron Naughton. Tomlinson is contracted for another two seasons at the Dees, but missed most of the 2022 campaign through injury. The Bulldogs did have their sights set on Docker Rory Lobb, but Fremantle have told the contracted big man that they would be holding him to his deal. Former Bulldog and Blue Liam Jones is returning to Footscray after missing the entire 2022 season over his Covid vaccine beliefs. Jones did not meet the AFL’s mandatory health and safety protocols, that have since been lifted, and could not be registered as an AFL player. But as he’s now classified as an unrestricted free agent, he can move to the Bulldogs as his choice. Some interest in Adelaide small forward James Rowe, too.

Who's already gone

Nil

Draft picks

11, 29, 37 (via North Melbourne), 65, 83

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
Assuming we enter the year with Keath, Cordy, Gardner, Jones, O'Brien, Darcy, and Tomlinson - what's everyone's preferred KPD setup?

Probably not having these three on the list.... Does that count ??

Will always love Cordy for his mongrel (it's something we lack) - but he's just not up to it the way the game is played and will not change the way he plays.

Mar 19, 2022
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If you don’t look at it as AFL trade-related chat and news and instead treat it as a study in just how far nepotism can get you in spite of a complete lack of intelligence or understanding, it’s quite interesting.
Probably say that Dunkley is only worth one first draft pick again. What an absolute spud.

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
If there’s any validity to the rumours Bevo wants to move Naughton down back (I don’t want to start the debate about it) then we could do much worse than a backline of Naughton, Jones, Tomlinson with Gardner, Keath etc providing depth and coverage.

Tomlinson would be a good pickup imo.

Chalky White

All Australian
Sep 30, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can someone with more experience than me explain how when Geelong turn the ball over they have 2 or 3 v 1 in defence.

Then they attack and they rarely ever look outnumbered.

As opposed to us this year who would attack & be outnumbered, then we'd turn it over & be outnumbered the other way as well?

Is that simply not running hard enough both ways so it doesn't matter where the ball is we aren't bringing enough bodies to the contest?

Not a joke, serious question / comment.
David King explained it. Rhys Stanley does the centre square rucking, after that ruck duel he drops back as an extra in defence. He will take an oppo big, that lets Henry, Stewart or SDK to sag off as the spare.
When there is a stoppage around the ground Blicavs takes it or if in the deep forward line Hawkins takes it.
That is how the spare is created down back

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
A lot of people making noise that Hunter is gone on here. Any theories as to why there has been literally zero mention of his name in the media? Not even a passing comment by anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back