Recruiting Trade & Free Agency V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green was good this year, must be a few rangaphobes on these boards...

Sloane would be an ideal pick-up but he'll be 29 by the time he gets to us. Worth it? Definitely as a FA, but if there's a 23-25 year old jet mid on the market I'd be looking closely.

Sloane would be an ideal pick-up but he'll be 29 by the time he gets to us. Worth it? Definitely as a FA, but if there's a 23-25 year old jet mid on the market I'd be looking closely.
Green is a good 3rd or 4th in line small forward, who comes in when Walla/Raz is injured.

Less than a goal a game and applying no pressure is considered good now?

Yeah if we're sticking to a set age bracket, I don't think we'd be in the market for Sloane. Of the mids that're out of contract next year that'd be in the right age bracket I'd say guys like the following would be worth a look: Matt Crouch, Jordan De Goey (he'd be ideal for mine hasn't been gotten a good run in the Pies midfield), Brayden Fiorini, Toby Greene, Christian Petracca (doubt he'd leave but jeez he'd be a good get), Angus Brayshaw, Ollie Wines, etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone say whether we can only use picks at the draft based on available list spots?

E.g. can we wait to delist a few or all of Howlett, Bird, Green, Merrett and McKernan until after we've seen that there are guys we want to select?

Can anyone say whether we can only use picks at the draft based on available list spots?

E.g. can we wait to delist a few or all of Howlett, Bird, Green, Merrett and McKernan until after we've seen that there are guys we want to select?
Can only take the amount of draft picks you have a list spot for. We would have to make a decision on those guys before the draft.

Its not like the nba or nfl where you cango over your list spot limits and cut guys after.

Can only take the amount of draft picks you have a list spot for. We would have to make a decision on those guys before the draft.

Its not like the nba or nfl where you cango over your list spot limits and cut guys after.

It's interesting that we've waited this long to determine the futures of Merrett, Howlett, Bird, Green, McKernan, Morgan and Long. We've freed up four primary list spots through attrition and used three of those spots bringing in SSS. I struggle to believe that there wouldn't be at least four players that we'd like to give an opportunity to particularly given that there are some of big bodies (young and old) who could be available at 48 and given that we want another tall. The right tall is not necessarily on anyone's radar at 48 which means that we can think more about 'best available' with that pick.

I think that we'll persist with McKernan because he's useful depth as a key forward which is not something that can be replaced. I could see McKernan playing another few years until another key forward option presents himself. Like Leuenberger, McKernan is a useful mature-aged depth player to hold on to.

I can't see how Merrett survives given that he struggled to get a game last year (he's clearly not a player Worsfold likes). Surely Morgan doesn't stay on the senior list either. I'm guessing that one of Howlett, Bird and Green is de-listed and that one might be demoted to the rookie list. The importance of the shuffle between lists would be the availability of another live selection at the national draft.

Bird is probably the most useful of the three senior guys as he can play midfield and forward and is a much better runner than the other two. I'd keep Bird, demote Green and de-list Howlett. Difference between Green and Howlett is that at least Green can use the ball. I really want to hold on to Long and give him the McKenna treatment at half back.

Remaining list changes:

Bird - 1 year
Green - rookie
Morgan - delsited
Merrett - delisted
Howlett - delisted
McKernan - rookie
Long - rookie
Draper - rookie

Would want to offer Draper multiple years but I suspect that he and his management will be too smart for that. He'll be pushing Luenberger for the number 2 spot for 2019 so it makes more sense for him to deal at the end of 2018.

Last edited:
Not sure we need to delist too many. Could see the following happen:

OUT: Watson, Stanton, Kelly, Hocking, Morgan, J. Merrett, Eades (r)
IN: Saad, Smith, Stringer, Pick 48, Pick 66, Pick 84, Rookie

Could shuffle Morgan or J. Merrett to the rookie list but not sure they've got what it takes. Green stays on the primary list for mine, excellent coverage for Walla or Fantasia

Anyone else still having a good chuckle over Hawforne's lack of trade involvement? So much for their supporters assertions they'd get 2nd round picks for spuds like Hartunge and Puopoloe.

Anyone else still having a good chuckle over Hawforne's lack of trade involvement? So much for their supporters assertions they'd get 2nd round picks for spuds like Hartunge and Puopoloe.

Mate I've been chuckling since about this time last year.

That list was s**t then, and they don't seem to have realised it.

The only valuable commodities they have are Gunston, Mitchell and Burton - and they aren't trading them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back