Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This would be the only year I'd think it reasonable to finish dead last and get pick 1.

I'd ask Baker to genuinely consider moving back to Perth. I'd also be putting feelers out to every team looking to trade down their 1st rounder this year.

I think I’ve come around to it, Trade Shai Bolton

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yep, I'll be starting on MSD targets soon. I'll do the best of the weekends junior performances tomorrow/tuesday and then switch over. McLaghlan will be a high priority.
He is one I'm keen on us taking a chance on in the MSD

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just something that we have discussed with a friend last night (carlton supporter)

He actually made a really good point with some of his thoughts
He mentioned that Richmond are in a really good position to put pressure on clubs like GC , Brisbane,Crows & Blues

* Target Brisbane 1st rounder with our later picks as we will have #2/#3 even if no other team that finishes lower doesnt bid on their FS we must and make it well know that their pick 5/6 is going to get chewed up

*GC needs to know we will also bid on their Academy kid Lombard and chew up their picks #8 & #9 so if they are serious about Dan Rioli then these 2 picks are the min that will get the deal done

With so many teams needing points i think we need to maximize our ability to trade off players that will no longer be in our long term plans like Graham , McIntosh , Broad and even Prestia and Lynch if their are interested clubs in the window

This would be the only year I'd think it reasonable to finish dead last and get pick 1.

I'd ask Baker to genuinely consider moving back to Perth. I'd also be putting feelers out to every team looking to trade down their 1st rounder this year.
I’m not sure we ll need to ask him ,,,lol

I know many have said draft picks are dangerous and they don't work. But I'm looking at the top 10 picks last year thinking we would have loved as many as we could. We have our natural pick, and we could get picks back for baker, rioli, bolton if he wants to go, plus package points for 1st round picks. I think we need to not be shy and go for it.

Reid, mckercher, Walter. Duursma, watson,Watson, Sanders, Windsor, curtain ,read, caddy.

Looking qt the last 3 drafts though I notice the quality drops off after the top 10. So trading out players is more worth it for top 10 picks for us. We have our own, just a question of how many more we can add.

Last edited:
Hope we are pricks at the draft and bid on Ashcroft and Lombard early, to squeeze Gold Coast and Brisbane or at least threaten it to get their first picks in the draft in exchange for points and some steak knives

Last edited:
I think I’ve come around to it, Trade Shai Bolton

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Na bro.. he’s just missing some senior big bodies around the contest for him..

He’s untouchable and so elite with them around

Would be really foolish to trade such talent after the year of injuries and transition we’ve had

He’s gonna be the cream on the cake in our next premiership within 5 years
Early call for norm smith

I know things seem dire at the moment and the thrill of having a heap of R1 picks is tempting, but can we stop trying to trade off everyone who plays a poor game or might have value at the trade table.

If you think things are bad now, imagine what it would be like becoming the next North Melbourne being competitive for half a game at most week after week and becoming a club that is no longer a destination club.

For mine our best course is to sign as many of our experienced players as possible, even those that some supporters label as being no good and only trade out those that want out or aren't worth paying what they're asking for in new deals.

I believe that we have the core of a good list, it's just hard to see it at present given the injuries to key players. However when we do get those players back and we can start playing with a proper structure and players in their best roles we will quickly turn things around.

You only need to look back to the start of the season to see that we can be competitive against good sides with our best team on the park. Rounds 2-4 we matched it with Carlton for 4 quarters, Port for 3 quarters and beat an undefeated Swans side, who haven't lost since then and that was while we were still getting to understand Yzes game plan.

With some sound list management decisions and a bit of good fortune with injuries there is plenty of reason to be bullish for 2025 even though we're currently 17th and look as bad as we have for a long time.

I'm all for trading out the likes of Jayden Short & Graham but talk of trading Daniel Rioli (like in the HUN) is madness. He creates so much run from defence that nobody else in the team does.

Back