Mod. Notice Trade week on the Lions board: your feedback

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade week was probably the most difficult time over the last year to moderate the board. We had a lot of opposition supporters (some polite, some rude), there was a lot of repetition, and there was a lot of discussion (some intelligent, some not so much) in general to try and keep organised.

A few things were trialled (eg.the compendium, Lions supporter only thread, trade suggestions thread, the warning at the start of the Clark to Fremantle thread) and we think some things worked well, and others not as well as hoped.

So now that the dust has settled we welcome any comments you may have on what transpired, and any suggestions on how to optimise things for next year.

Thanks for the vote of support, but personally I don't think the current system is perfect. We are hoping to get a feel for what direction Lions posters want to go, and then implement some strategic thinking for next year.

I think the mods extracted pick 12 from a pick 16 situation.

It was a pretty trying trade week for Brisbane supporters and emotions were high.

Perhaps an extra Lions-supporters only trade week thread could be helpful next time, but it might be difficult to do so without splitting the discussion too much.

Perhaps an extra Lions-supporters only trade week thread could be helpful next time, but it might be difficult to do so without splitting the discussion too much.

Quigley introduced a Lions supporter only thread, which I thought was a good idea. But it may have been introduced too late (just a theory?) as people had already invested in the other thread, causing it to soon die off.

I think the fact that we had a high profile player leaving made things worse. Under normal circumstances, i don't think we would have had too much of a problem. Perhaps in future, any major type trades should have a general discussion as well as a Lions supporters only discussion, clearly marked with rules on the OP as was done. Otherwise everything else just fits into a general Trade week thread i think, but maybe perhaps we can have a Lions supporters only trade week thread as well, just to save some posts.

The biggest thing that annoyed me was having the same thing posted over and over and over and over by opposition supporters, and i think the number of threads for the Clark trade back that up. For how little happened during the week, we burned through threads. But perhaps having the Lions supporters threads from the start might help this.

The biggest thing that annoyed me was having the same thing posted over and over and over and over by opposition supporters.

Yeah, that was quite tedious.

Quigley introduced a Lions supporter only thread, which I thought was a good idea. But it may have been introduced too late (just a theory?) as people had already invested in the other thread, causing it to soon die off.
Think your theory is pretty close to the mark. But not sure we could have predicted the coming wave that made this necessary.
While I like informed opinion from other supporters I agree with Chopper and Grim about the tedious repetition destroying any hope of good exchange of ideas. Thought the mod warming did help a little when it was done.
Agree with TBD re the mods doing a great job in a difficult situation
Thanks for your efforts:thumbsu:

It was a long trying week. The constant repartition was the most annoying part for me. Amazing how many times I logged on, went to the Clark thread and read the same thing.

The mods did a great job but the best thing that occurred in my eyes was the Lions Insider initiative. Big Footy who I believed initatiated this and the club for embracing it really helped put some truth into seriously opinionated false journalism that came our way. I think that the media will be worse in years to come as they all try and outdo each others scoops by basically making things up.

Having a Lions Insider only thread to refute media articles would be great. Not to give away secrets but when every journalist is specuating that Freo have offered pick 16 and 20, it was great to hear directly from the club that media reporting on this was wrong.
Great job guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couple of comments – Overall I dont think we need to change that much.

What did people think of the trade news compendium thread that was news articles only? Excellent initiative.

In general I dont think this was a typical trade period. Not much activity across the board, except for a high profile tool wanting to leave our club and the club having to deal with a knob over a possible trade to a club that was trying to pinch the "feral" tag from the Woods (my view anyway). Leaving aside posts that relate to that matter, I thought posters from other club comments were of value - some added to the debated, some provided information and some were very amusing. I would hate to lose those 3 hacks for your first round pick posts and other baseless speculation posts. We sometimes tend to take posting on Bigfooty a bit too seriously.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back