Trades not going to Happen?

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course there is, the league knows that a player has the right to an opportunity at another club if they are not contracted. Forget legislation, the AFLPA would kick up such a fuss that it wouldn't be worth it for GC - not to mention the damage to their reputation.

More to the point, Rodney Eade says he has no interest in keeping him if he really wants to go. They still think they can convince him to re-sign.
Not if he enters the draft there isn't.

Not if he enters the draft there isn't.
3c444ef7cfc5cc1e076623ee6dff7ccb.png

"Don't really want to go" is not cause to apply for unconscionable treatment surely
First part regarding financial requirement definitely applies, the second does not.
Do you think they could keep him against his will without suffering some sort of intervention from the AFL? He's not contracted, the Suns are not within their rights to say that they won't let him go. It is unconscionable treatment in terms of trades and contracts, the draft is supposed to be Jaeger's chance to leave if the club refuses to organise a trade.

But as I said before, the Suns won't do it - it would cause way too much trouble than it's worth, and Jaeger might just walk.

Do you think they could keep him against his will without suffering some sort of intervention from the AFL? He's not contracted, the Suns are not within their rights to say that they won't let him go. It is unconscionable treatment in terms of trades and contracts, the draft is supposed to be Jaeger's chance to leave if the club refuses to organise a trade.

But as I said before, the Suns won't do it - it would cause way too much trouble than it's worth, and Jaeger might just walk.
Not if he nominates for the draft knowing full and well the Gold Coast might pick him. If Jaeger goes to any other club it is a disaster for the Hawks.

Not if he nominates for the draft knowing full and well the Gold Coast might pick him. If Jaeger goes to any other club it is a disaster for the Hawks.
Jesus man you're not getting the point. GC can't do a McCarthy and force him to stay. There is no contract. The AFL would certainly read the situation as unethical and hand them a trade or draft ban.

I don't want you to post again that they could take him in the draft, because they won't - it's a loss for GC in every way.

Jesus man you're not getting the point. GC can't do a McCarthy and force him to stay. There is no contract. The AFL would certainly read the situation as unethical and hand them a trade or draft ban.

I don't want you to post again that they could take him in the draft, because they won't - it's a loss for GC in every way.
Except there is nothing stopping GC from taking him again in the draft and there are no possible repercussions if they do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They definitely could. It's possible and there are no rules against it.

First part regarding financial requirement definitely applies, the second does not.

The 2nd part is key.

If you quit your job, having completed your contract, your employer cannot turn around and force you to return to work.

You can guarantee if the AFL didnt block it, a court case would.

And Im sure what the AFL really wants is another court case. Especially if there was an injunction which stopped the draft from taking place.

And then the AFLPA steps in and forces the AFL to include more 'get out' clauses which would allow players to leave clubs.

The 2nd part is key.

If you quit your job, having completed your contract, your employer cannot turn around and force you to return to work.

You can guarantee if the AFL didnt block it, a court case would.

And Im sure what the AFL really wants is another court case. Especially if there was an injunction which stopped the draft from taking place.

And then the AFLPA steps in and forces the AFL to include more 'get out' clauses which would allow players to leave clubs.
O'Meara would have no leg to stand on because that's the nature of the draft. His contract demands would have been met by the club that drafts him, so legally he is receiving everything he asked for per the rules of the draft.

O'Meara would have no leg to stand on because that's the nature of the draft. His contract demands would have been met by the club that drafts him, so legally he is receiving everything he asked for per the rules of the draft.

Except the draft is not really legal (nor is a salary cap for that matter). Its functionality accepted by all parties, but that doesnt mean a disgruntled player cant go to court to have a decision overturned.

As I said, he would be quitting his job and then his employer refusing to let him go. No way that would pass any sniff test in court.

The AFL would absolutely step in a block it. But that is also assuming the Suns would even go down that path - which as crazy as they are, I dont think they are that crazy.

Except the draft is not really legal (nor is a salary cap for that matter). Its functionality accepted by all parties, but that doesnt mean a disgruntled player cant go to court to have a decision overturned.

As I said, he would be quitting his job and then his employer refusing to let him go. No way that would pass any sniff test in court.

The AFL would absolutely step in a block it. But that is also assuming the Suns would even go down that path - which as crazy as they are, I dont think they are that crazy.
Except his employer has let him go hence O'Meara entering the draft and I would imagine that involves accepting whoever drafts said player providing they meet their contract demands.

Except his employer has let him go hence O'Meara entering the draft and I would imagine that involves accepting whoever drafts said player providing they meet their contract demands.

Sounds like it is a moot point, but as I said, it is not cut and dried. The AFLPA would go in to meltdown if a player was redrafted to a club he wanted out of.

The AFL are desperate to get the player payments deal organised and this would be a massive thorn in their side.

I just figured this whole thing out.
Trade week is exactly like High School. You get given an assignment at the start of the year and you just ignore it until the day it is due to be handed in, then you scurry around and try and finish it all in one night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back