Trades - winners and losers

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all

With the risk of writing something that could come back to haunt me in about 12 months time, here's my rundown on the trades done by clubs.

ADELAIDE - They did very well to pick up Hewitt, especially since he wanted to return to Perth. North fans are disappointed that he's leaving, and as has been mentioned before, give him game time and he'll do well for you. I don't know much about Bode though and I feel that the Rehn trade will come back to haunt them. In the end, I think the Crows will be treading water next season as their list seems to lack depth.

BRISBANE - I think Mal Michael is a good player, but he has had injury problems. I am surprised that they've traded Molloy and and Lawrence, but the real key for Brisbane is that they stay injury free and get some conistency in their performances (oh, and they should stop their perpetual whining as well). At full strength, they're probably only second to Essendon in terms of talent.

CARLTON - The biggest losers in the player trades. I was very surprised that they traded Murphy, but now they've lost Hammil and could lose Allan and McKay...and let's just say that Silvagni and Bradley both retire (or have poor seasons)...the Blue's first wooden spoon anyone?

COLLINGWOOD - A big winner in the trades. Malthouse, by virtue of coaching the Eagles and getting a close look at the Dockers, has seen something in Clement and Holland. Add in Molloy to their young squad and I reckon a 5-0 start next season won't be wasted the second time around. They also have a few early draft picks. The Michael loss is balanced out by gaining Molloy and the trade of Williams will give one of their kids a chance to cement a permanent place. I'm dreading listening to Eddie McChins already.

ESSENDON - Sheedy gave the game away when he hinted at back-to-back premierships at the Grand Final celebrations. They've set the standard for others to match. I reckon there will be a few delistings (Grgic comes to mind) to get a couple of kids in.

FREMANTLE - They got Bell, but at what cost? Three players were traded over that deal, and a further two have gone, so I've got a feeling that will hurt the team in the short term. I'm not convinced that they have done all that well out of the trades, especially when you consider that several players were named as possible trades in the Bell deal....these players must wonder how much Freo really values them.

GEELONG - They did very well in picking up White and Murphy. They will add experience to what is still a young, but talented, list. Pre-trades, I felt that Geelong would do very well to hold their ground in 2001, but with these two players (if they stay fit, of course), they will mount a strong challenge for a top 4 spot.

HAWTHORN - Rehn is a great pick up, but I'm surprised that they didn't work harder to get a couple more pacey midfielders. Schwab will be relying on his players to build on their couple of finals games to take them further, but their midfield remains their weak point.

NORTH MELBOURNE - Are we seeing the first signs of a changing game plan for North? Three talls in Capuano, Hewitt, and Kingsley are gone, three running types in McLaren, Sinclair, and Olarenshaw come in, with Olarenshaw being the biggest risk. 5 draft picks in the first 30, and how North use them will give away Pagan's thinking...will we be seeing more running players? Bell was a bad loss, but people forget that Stevens is back. Unless one or two exceptional players are picked up with our draft picks, North will probably hold a spot between 3 and 7 next season...we look to be in transition. Overall though, we've done well out of the trades although how well we've done with our draft picks won't be known for at least 12 months.

MELBOURNE - They're holding the hand they've been dealt. Daniher must feel that the team spirit must be held together at any cost, hence a lack of trades. In Melbourne's case, this is probably a good policy.

PORT ADELAIDE - Wakelin is a good pick up, but I think the focus will be on William's coaching. Unless he gets some early results, I think the axe will fall. The thing about young talent (which Port has) is that you only have a certain amount of time to develop it. Otherwise it stagnates, and the only way for that talent to develop is to either change the coach or have the player go to another club. Time is running out for the Port players and Mark Williams.

RICHMOND - I surprised that they sent Ben Harrison on his way as I thought he was a pretty handy player. Obviously Frawley is hoping that the horror run of injuries this season isn't repeated next season and that Richo will come back at full fitness. Still, the Tigers don't convince me...their list just strikes me as being a bit flimsy. Oh, and I still haven't stopped laughing over them wanting to get rid of Nick Daffy but finding no takers....better keep on selling more of that second rate food at your restaraunt Daffy.

ST. KILDA - By far the biggest winner our out of the trades. I think most fans would've been happy with a Gehrig-Blight coup, but to pick up Hamill, Lawrence, and Capuano, and the possibility of getting Allan or McKay.....anyone for the Saints to go from last to a Grand Final?

SYDNEY - I think Paul Williams will enjoy playing on the SCG, so expect him to get plenty of goals. I thought they would've tried to pick up a defender or two, but it seems that none were on offer. If they stay injury free and get some consistency, they will do very well next season.

WEST COAST - Surprisingly active and they will be happy with their trades. If Merenda can get fit, he will do great things for them. Collica, Prior, and Taylor will add bite to their team, and if they can get some luck with injuries, they will make the finals.

WESTERN BULLDOGS - After being fairly active last season, in this year's trade, they were very quiet.

[This message has been edited by Shinboners (edited 13 September 2000).]

Shinboner, i think you are being a little too kind to Collingwood and Mr. McChins.

At the start of this year at a function I expressed to Mr. McChins that I was worried that in the last trade period (99) many players avoided Collingwood so that no big name player came. He said dont worry, the next trade (2000) will be a big one and I'll be surporsed at who the Pies get. Well, I am surprised b/c we got such big names as Clement Holland and Steinfort. Real talent there.... NOT! And we got rid of an injured full-forward for a fat and injured full forward and gave away Wiliams and Micahel effetively for no gain. Pies fans have a pathetic next 5 years to look forward to and we can thank Mediocre Mick and Uncle Buck (Balmy) together with Tony Unshaw and Eddie McChins for big talk, no action.

Shinboner

We did give up three players to get Bell but combined they played less games than Bell did this year on his own. The players we lost od have potential but are also very inconsistent.
Bell is a great player who is only now starting to approach is peak at 24 years old. None of the players we gave away would be in our top 22, provided we have a fully fit squad.

As for the draft picks, the best players apart from the Weidolt and Koschietzke are all midfielders taht we don't need.

Metro will help us as he is just a hard-working defender who played most games for the Eagles this year, while Harding played around 3, plus we got a draft pick which turned into Simpson and may provide some help for the problem area of crumbing goalsneak.

Carr will boost the defence as well and has apparently had a solid season for the Saints so I think we have done pretty well and I am especially happy that we kept our good players, especially Black who I think will be a great player in the next few years.

The other main winner was obviously St. Kilda and I think that Geelong did ok out of the trading period.

Carlton were the big losers along with the Roos who will feel the loss of Bell, but also the ruckman if McKernan gets an injury.

The main losers of course being Carlton (yuk yuk yuk)
biggrin.gif
, and thats always great to see, but that post a few days ago "Carlton in Trouble" (i think) was spot on.
Theyve paid Kouta too much, and cant afford to keep the rest of the team together- plus Tosser Elliot sticks his big nose in and doesnt help matters. They'll stuggle next year no doubt.

As for St Kilda, I wonder how theyll fit all that forward talent under the cap. Theyve almost got an all-australian forward line now and will be hard to stop. However without the coaching wisdom and flair of Watson they may struggle
wink.gif

Apart from all the trades and stuff (which I must admit, bores me quite a bit when my team isnt really involved)- i think Sydney, Hawthorn and Geelong might surprise next year.

(theres a kiss of death)

A.

Definately Sydney to be right up there.

St.Kilda too, under Blight will make a big impact. Blight made a big impact at Geelong in his first year, and likewise at the Crows. The Saisnt had one of the stronger 'wooden spoon lists' of recent years.

Good to see Carlton lose some good players.
I though Carlton never lost good players. Hopefully, they'll drop out of the 8.

Great thread Shinboner. Pretty much 100% agree with your assessments.

Carlton will spend 2001-2 rebuilding - they must realise that the quick steal flag option came close but no cigar and, with Essendon looking like winning a few more in the next 5-10 they HAVE to build a really strong foundation...

Lucky for them Port will always be between them and the bottom.

My prediction? Carlton to finish below Sydney, St Kilda (!!), Brisbane and Essendon (at least) next year.

On the other hand Saint fans, money doesn't always buy you happiness - look at poor ol Gianluca Vialli at Chelsea!

biggrin.gif

That's all I have to say about my feelings towards our trading period.

I have mentioned earleir that I think North have done well to not only get 5 early picks but also to target fast running midfielders, an area they have been criticised for in the past.

Shinboners,

On the whole, I agree with pretty much all you have said.

My only disagreements is that you were a little kind to both Collingwood and West Coast. I do not think the magpies won on any of their trades. I rate Mal Michael a lot more than Jarrod Molloy, although Michael was going to leave anyway and they did well to pick up Molloy. Clement and Holland for a first round draft pick? Only time will tell I suppose but I don't think early draft picks should be given up for unrecognised players. Same boat for West Coast. Lost out on the Gehrig deal big time. Merenda may prove OK but is a big gamble, Prior is a good pickup and I am not sure if Collica and Taylor are worth and early 20s pick. Geelong have given up too many early draft picks for my liking. I realise they have a young squad and Bomber Thompson does not consider this years draft as a priority, but still, I think there needs to be a good influx of kids every year

I don't need to go into any of your other assessments because they seem pretty spot on to me. It is just hard to explain to someone why you agree with them because you just do!
wink.gif

I agree St Kilda have done well trading, but I'm not quite as enthusiastic as some. In their best line up I guess Barry Hall plays at CHB but they are still a tall defender or two light. Also when I watched them I thought their midfield was pretty ordinary so the white blight will still have plenty to do.

Much as I would like to see the demise of Carlton I still don't think they're gone yet.With Hamill gone Fevola has a big chance to step up as a leading full foward and I think the guy has some talent.

North picked up two duds in Mclaren and Olaranshaw and a "maybe" player in Sinclair for two good talls in Hewitt and Capuano and a average forward in Kingsley..where is the win? The only hope is the draft picks.
Geelong got two injury prone crocs and have no decent draft picks...
Collingwood to improve, Brodie Holland goes ok, and I dont mind Malloy if he is fit.
Sydney got ripped with Williams
Adelaide got nothing special apart from hewitt.
Freo will improve with their young players and the traitor Bell.
Carlton..dont know.. dont care.. lost the overated Hamill and Murphy..but have three picks in the top 15 at the draft..may surprise.
Essendon will be odds on again for back to back flags.
Melbourne to drop a couple of spots.
West Coast..stuffed..Judge is hopeless..Collica and taylor are duds.
Bulldogs..Ben harrison..nice piece of drafting..not.
Port Power..to improve.
Brisbane..bit like Carlton..dont know.. dont care..Michael is a dud so they will have to do well at the draft.
Hawthorn..dont mind the Hawks..if Rehn is fit
did well to swap Collica and Taylor...should go ok.
Richmond..need to draft well, will finish in the eight cos its their turn..

PS forgot StKilda..will improve..there aint no way but up from where they are.Gehrig is a good talent but aint worth the money they are paying..ditto for Hamill..Lawrence is ok without being that classy..Callagan couldnt command a regular game with freo so how come he is now some world beater..Capuano can play but the money would be on him doing a knee
or stuffing himself up at some stage of the season.Hanly and Buttass or should that be Beavis and Butthead? will probably be waving the cheque book around at the pre season draft so they will probably pick up another
decent player..you would expect the Saints to be top 8 but forget any ideas about winning a flag this year...cannot believe some clowns
are calling them a flag threat...Sheedy must be pissing himself laughing.

My analysis would be as follows
Adelaide- Hewitt had better come up or they have had a disaster- does anyone believe Bode is worth pick 12 (i.e the same value as Rehn)
Brisbane- Molloy didn't fit with Bradshaw & Lynch Micheal is a talent but injury prone call it a win
Carlton- everyones joy at the end is maybe premature ,they do have 3 picks in the 1st round. If you are realistic with the spell Kouta had they were always going to lose someone for money & Hamill was a better loss than Allan or Mckay. Surprised with Murphy going though.
Collingwood- Not great have lost 2 of their very few talents with experience & replaced them with risks. Molloy has never starred in spite of threatening too & the 2 Freo boys did not get a regular game.
Essendon - didn't play don't blame them kept Jacobs who a few clubs were after
Freo- Got their man in Bell, didn't overpay as all the leavers were going anyway. Metropolis & Carr will help too.
Geelong- Took the risks in White & Murphy & may well be rewarded. Murphy in 1999 was on the verge of becoming a star. White is a class player.
Hawthorn- Punted on Rehn & otherwise stand pat on a team that was middle of the road at best. Glad they didn't get Daffy though.
Roos- The draft picks better deliver as good players are gone & nothing much back Mclaren is a possible have seen him play well at times. Sinclair is a space filler & no better, Olarenhaw is the most staggering decision ever he has not been a player for 4 years, if they liked him December was the time.
Port - Back to Bode so thats a good deal Wakelin don't know
Richmond - didn't do much
St Kilda - Looks good but- now have a lot of height in the forward line can they all play together? Gehrig is a worry , will Hamill deliver for the money? The great get there may be Callaghan - I do rate him.
Sydney- all rests with Williams - he should be good at the S.C.G but with Creswell , Schwass & Kelly that midfield is getting on .
Call it a win
West Coast- Filled up with risks & space fillers Prior is O.K , Sierakowski has just had his best year & Merenda has talent but who the hell will play centre half forward.
White is a huge loss their best footy in recent times has been with him playing well
Doggies - didn't improve may struggle.

Unlike others on this post, I am very happy with our trading effort. It's about time we got some quality older players, instead of the Spinks types which we seem to recruit every year, usually from North. ie. McGrath Tudor, Pickering, Sholl, Mooney and now Kingsley.

White is a proven Premiership player, and Murphy was going to be a star before he got injured. If he gets a pre-season behind him and has no injury worries, then at 24, he will play a lot of top class football for Geelong.

As of today, we have de-listed 4 average players, T.Lynch, Lindsay, S.Arnott (very unlucky) and P.Lynch (what a shame).

Arnott would be handy in the draft. wouldn't be surprised if Adelaide picked him up as he thrived under Ayres last season.

I'll give you my rundown on all clubs:

Adelaide: I think they did pretty well picking up 12th pick for Rehn considering he wanted to leave. Then gave the 12th pick to Port for Bode. I can't place Bode so I'll leave that until next season.

Brisbane: Pick 33 for Lawrence was a bit cheap although I heard they didn't want him anyway. Michael has ability and can play yet you'd want to get more than the 5 quarters of football he played at Collingwood this year.

Carlton: Although they lost Hamill and Murphy I thought they did alright out of it. I think pick 4 for Hamill is alright. I think pick 11 for Murphy is pretty good also. They've got 3 of the top 15 picks which is good considering the age of their list. I'm sure they would've preferred to keep Hamill though.

Collingwood: As Sainter said above, it's risky swapping high picks for 'maybe's'. They are still paying a high price for Tony Shaw doing it in 1998. However with Malthouse coming from Perth it does give me confidence that he has chosen some good ones. Holland was likened pre-season to a new Robert Harvey yet he only played a few games this year so I don't know what went wrong there. Michael had to go, $330,000 a year, he's kidding himself. I prefer Molloy. He's a bit of a thug which we desperately need. I think trading Willo was the right thing to do. Collingwood have got more than their fair share of inconsistents.

Essendon: Pick 27 for Prior was good. Didn't really need to do much.

Fremantle: Effectively gave up pick 6, 22, Sinclair, Holland and Clement for Bell. I wouldn't be happy with that.

Geelong: If Mitchell White has no injury problems he'll be a great pick-up. Murphy will be good although I'm still undecided whether he's worth pick 11.

Hawthorn: Risky trading pick 12 for a 29 yo ruckman with dodgy knees. If they get the same value from him that they got from Salmon then they'll be happy. Pick 21 for two hacks like Taylor and Collica was good.

North: I reckon they did alright in the Bell deal. Black would've been better than Sinclair, yet they've got two picks in the top 8 which they really need. Pick 23 for Hewiit seems good. Olarenshaw doesn't make sense.

Melbourne: Did nothing.

Port Adelaide: Worst swap in the last 10 years. Darly Wakelin for pick 4 is so bad I still can't get over it. He is just your average hack who won't improve them one bit. May have redeemed themselves with picking up pick 12 for Bode but we'll have to wait on that.

Richmond: Anything for Merenda must be of some gain.

StKilda: I don't think Hamill is worth the 4th pick yet when you still have the first two then he is, if that makes sense. Lawrence was pretty cheap. I think Capuano is a dud but should be of value as a back-up to Everitt. They took WCE to the cleaners on Gehrig. Pick 18 and a hack like Sierakowski was good. Of course getting pick 4 for Wakelin was the steal of the draft.

Sydney: Williams should be able to play good footy with better support. With the midfield duties falling to Kelly, Creswell and Schwass etc. Williams should e able to play the game he couldn't at Collingwood, a goal kicking half-forward. I don't think he is worth the 8th pick in the draft though.

West Coast: This years trading period has really shown WCE to be the shadow of their former self since the arrival of Judge. Players wanting out, accepting a poorer offer from StKilda for Gehrig than that of Collingwood purely because of Malthouse, picking up hacks from Hawthorn for their 2nd pick. Prior might be a pretty good pick-up though.

Bulldogs: Didn't do anything of note.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back