MRP / Trib. Tribunal Thread - rules and offences discombobulation

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually. 4 weeks plus 2 Sanfl games to get back to speed.

6 weeks.
Fox Footy reporting that he will be ineligible to play in the trial match on Friday as well - so that's actually a 5 week ban from AFL games:

Powell-Pepper's suspension will see him miss the opening month of the season and he will most likely be ineligible for the Power's upcoming practice match.

He will be absent as Port Adelaide’s season begins with a home fixture against West Coast before they travel to Victoria to take on Richmond.

The utility will also miss back-to-back home games against Melbourne and Essendon before the suspension ends for Round 5.

If the tribunal system was consistent Gary Rohan should have got weeks for knocking out teammate Jeremy Cameron. If Rohan was a Melbourne player he would have got weeks.

But because they are teammates, concussion isn't that important, just like knocking someone out by driving your knee thru your opponents head taking a big mark of the year speccy.

Last edited:

2 games, maybe 3 would've been about right.

The way the afl media had their pitchforks out, this was always gonna be the outcome. This bush league sucks.

4 weeks isnt that bad actually

if the Victorian media had their way the penalty would have been either:
1) the electric chair
2) head on a pike
3) life imprisonment
4) another 2 years under Ken Hinkley.. ohhh

He would have been dispatched like a Stark in season 1 of Game of Thrones.

My opinion is consistent. If Rozee or Butters gets knocked out in a similar incident this week, you'll want the book thrown at the player who did it. You need to be able to judge an incident on it's merits.

Well not really, that’s being biased. The whole bump action has so many variables which the AFL has to consider, especially when dishing out 4 week suspensions.
This was the reason for my argument, I don’t want to see the bump removed, but…. If Rozee gets knocked out for a legal bump gone wrong, ala SPP, I wouldn’t say a thing. If he got lined up, then yeah of course I’d want blood.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If a similar incident to this happens with Dusty, De Goey, Petracca or Warner in a Qualifying Final we can totally expect their season to be over then, right?

Right?!

Crickets

The Pickett hit last year was just about the worst thing thats ever happened in football lol. 2 weeks.

and why is it only 2 weeks... well because the Bulldogs left Smith on the field instead of having the doctor do head injury assessment. yep

That's irrelevant.

Just because someone has a harder head and needs more force to be knocked out doesn't concern the MRO/Tribunal system.

A concussion is a concussion, that means the impact is severe if the player doing the action to concuss the other person, has committed a reportable offence.

If you are talking about McCartin and Marshall at the SCG, McCartin has a "soft head" for want of a better phrase, and Marshall did nothing that was a reportable offence. A bump to the head is a reportable offence.
A bump to the head is the reportable offence
Whats then graded on intention and impact - impact is literally one of the 2 things the afl says is its being graded on

Calling every concussion servere impact is an inaccurate lense to look at it through- the exact same circumstances in terms of impact can lead to different concussion circumstances
Theres been studies on this, it's partially genetic
I can't beleive youre argueing this point

so running at high speed to a contest sounds the problem, especially if circumstances change

massive change for how some players will attack a contest.

Yes and any player who was smart and paying attention would've realised this already and stopped running into contests in the way Powell-Pepper routinely does.

Last season the AFL asked for four-week suspensions for several high bumps - including Toby Nankervis on Jake Lloyd, and Jordan De Goey on Elijah Hewett - but the players each received three weeks from the AFL Tribunal.

There is no way in hell that Sam Powell Pepper gets suspended for 4 weeks if Angus Brayshaw did not announce his forced retirement from football last week.

Those 3 week suspensions were themselves a step up on the 1 or 2 weeks that incidents like that might've received only a few years ago.

I have no problem with the AFL stepping it up again and positioning these as 4 week bans so long as it remains somewhat consistent throughout the season.

And that’s if his confidence isn’t shot to pieces and he’s still effective at what he does now that he’ll be timid and second-guessing everything.

Exactly, his state of mind. How will he recover, we all remember Pickett & Choco saying he’s unemployable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bump to the head is the reportable offence
Whats then graded on intention and impact - impact is literally one of the 2 things the afl says is its being graded on

Calling every concussion servere impact is an inaccurate lense to look at it through- the exact same circumstances in terms of impact can lead to different concussion circumstances
Theres been studies on this, it's partially genetic
I can't beleive youre argueing this point
Who in the AFL is going to measure who has a soft head/brain compared to another player and how the hell do you even measure it?

Impact is impact, and if it leads to concussion then it has to be severe impact.

Who in the AFL is going to measure who has a soft head/brain compared to another player and how the hell do you even measure it?

Impact is impact, and if it leads to concussion then it has to be severe impact.
That last sentence is so unlike REH as it's not based on fact at all.

You can measure by things
Broken bones
Knocked out instantly
Doctors reports
Other factors (ie the force from a tackle happening at the same time)

Those 3 week suspensions were themselves a step up on the 1 or 2 weeks that incidents like that might've received only a few years ago.

I have no problem with the AFL stepping it up again and positioning these as 4 week bans so long as it remains somewhat consistent throughout the season.
I think everyone agrees that whatever they do, consistency matters more than this outcome.

If that exact same thing happened, but it was Sidebottom instead of Pep and a prelim instead of a preseason match, not one person would expect him to be suspended.

Why are the lawyers we use always so shit. Went in asking for 3, AFL wanted 4, so we compromised and took the 4. Great job.

Maybe go in asking for 1 or 2 next time, or better still arguing to get them off completely like what Collingwood and Carlton do and seem to get away with.

I think everyone agrees that whatever they do, consistency matters more than this outcome.

If that exact same thing happened, but it was Sidebottom instead of Pep and a prelim instead of a preseason match, not one person would expect him to be suspended.

I mean, that's been the case for a long time.

Don't worry about any perceived bias against Powell-Pepper and/or Port Adelaide, if Brayden Maynard had done what he did in round 1 last year he's probably getting multiple weeks.

The boys club just don't do grand final suspensions anymore. Gaff missed a grand final because he literally coward punched a guy off the ball and left him with facial fractures and missing teeth. Who was the player prior to that to miss a grand final through suspension? Anthony Rocca in 2003? How likely is it that in all of these years nobody has done anything that deserves weeks in the biggest and hottest and most physical games of the year? It's a joke.

With concussed players now having to sit out for 12 days ( 2 games effectively) I think that 3 weeks will be the new minimum. Not happy with 4 but not surprised….
Now some consistency with that penalty will really surprise me 🤨

Fox Footy reporting that he will be ineligible to play in the trial match on Friday as well - so that's actually a 5 week ban from AFL games:

Powell-Pepper's suspension will see him miss the opening month of the season and he will most likely be ineligible for the Power's upcoming practice match.

He will be absent as Port Adelaide’s season begins with a home fixture against West Coast before they travel to Victoria to take on Richmond.

The utility will also miss back-to-back home games against Melbourne and Essendon before the suspension ends for Round 5.

So he can't play in the trial game and he still misses the opening 4 matches? **** off.

Then he misses another week because of stupid 0 round or whatever they're calling it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back