Radio Triple M Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Howard's not a MMM guy, too touchy feely we're all great mates.
I admit I'm very cynical, but I can't stand Howie's Hallmark Card-level mushiness, to the point that I'll never listen to his sappy podcast. :tongueoutv1: Gord, when he puts on that soft, croaky, "I'm-about-to-cry" voice, well....... 🤮 🤢 :grinv1:

Last edited:
It's hard to create something similar again I think, and they've tried but it's just so hard. Been listening back to a few of the old clips they've put up recently and they're gold, and they're all great mates who knew each other for a long bloody time.

How do you find a group of guys like that again? Garry and Spud knew each other for decades, JB and Garry got along famously working on 9 and MMM together, and it felt like they all spent a fair amount of time away from work together on the piss together. They were all mid fourties-ish acting probably a fair bit younger than they were and yeah.. I just dunno how it would work again.

It's hard to create something similar again I think, and they've tried but it's just so hard. Been listening back to a few of the old clips they've put up recently and they're gold, and they're all great mates who knew each other for a long bloody time.

How do you find a group of guys like that again? Garry and Spud knew each other for decades, JB and Garry got along famously working on 9 and MMM together, and it felt like they all spent a fair amount of time away from work together on the piss together. They were all mid fourties-ish acting probably a fair bit younger than they were and yeah.. I just dunno how it would work again.
It is the old Top Gear problem. You can't find 3 people that have the instant chemistry that Clarkson, Hammond and May had from the beginning.

Like you said, Spud, JB, Gary and BT all knew each other for long periods of time and were part of a generation that seemed to be more involved together as an industry. I am not a parent but it doesnt seem to be that players from different clubs would do clinics for kids like Gary and Spud talked about. That kind of interactions and stories are what create the chemistry.

The other issue is how the place is run and how sanitised it is now. Gone the way of being real safe (by comparison to where they were) and that has hurt the listening experience. Bernie Vince on the radio is as funny as a cancer diagnosis but he has wild stories which should make him entertaining but it seems like he is holding back out of fear.

I think with Bernie Vince, they're waiting for Taylor Walker to retire so they can be set up as a partnership. An Anko version of Garry/Spud if you will.

I think with Bernie Vince, they're waiting for Taylor Walker to retire so they can be set up as a partnership. An Anko version of Garry/Spud if you will.
Bernie's good with the smart arse remarks/stories. Struggles with the set piece stuff though. Doesn't help that Brownless won't let him finish a sentence.

New line-up for Dead Set Legends this year.

Ryan Warren (aka 'Rabs' - Rush Hour anchor)
Will Ralston (Producer of Saturday Rub & Marty's show)
Sarah Olle (from AFL.com.au)

Isaac Smith and Erin Phillips joining the team.

Isaac will be part of a new Thursday Rub program.

Shame, I enjoyed last year's team.
Agreed.

Might be a bit controversial on here but the Sunday team from last year was probably my favourite of the three, and the DSL team felt a little bit like an extension of that with Joey and Jay.

Interested to see what the makeup of the different rub programs is this year... teased on the rush hour last night was a fully fledged thursday rub, hopefully that doesn't dilute things too much. Sure, we know it's all never gonna be as good as the old days, but there's still some enjoyable listening to be had if they can nail the call teams.

Thursday Rub will feature tomorrow (and presumably every week) Jack Heverin, Kate McCarthy, Isaac Smith and Jay Clark, from 6pm.

Can't say that line-up excites me too much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got to wonder if the Thursday Rub this week will be a studio show (save for Jay who's in Sydney) throwing to Sydney based callers (who'll be digital only tonight, MMM Sydney are taking Newcastle vs Canberra where 3 different calls are available) or all at the ground. Suspect the other Rubs this week will be studio shows with Qld/NSW based commentary.

I have no issue with any of the Thursday Rub crew as actual commentators, but I want a bit of colour and banter on the Rub pre-game.

The show would be so much better with someone like The Chief or Purple being a regular fixture. If JB didn’t have The Rush Hour he could steer the ship.

I caught the first 45 minutes of the rub last night and liked Isaac Smith. He was very good.

Television commitments make it difficult though. Between JB doing Friday Nights on Seven and Dunstall's duties at Fox Footy, there's not really any slot they can do together on MMM.
If they could guarantee the Chief on Saturday for the 2pm game it would be ideal.

BT, JB, Chief and one of Issac Smith/Dale Thomas/Stevie J would be elite. Keep Billy and Damo on the rub (no BT).

No reason why the Chief can't do Sat night on fox.

Some re-arranging like that might be possible next year when Fox start calling all nine games which could affect radio teams.

IIRC The Friday Huddle boys were talking about Howie maybe being involved with Friday nights on Fox next year, and I wouldn't be surprised if Fox put the Chief on Friday nights too. Lots of changes coming I'm sure.

I quite like the Saturday rub as it is. Best thing was shedding BT- the disdain and rudeness he spoke to regular people with will not be missed. The sycophantic backslapping of Carey for making 3 comments per show was also well past its used by date.

Friday I gave up on a few years ago amongst indulging in talk about Judd's man cave while people are out there struggling to pay the bills . I do like Dunstall though.

Sunday had some good bits particularly when Ross was still there. Not essential listening by any stretch though.

I did like dead set legends though. Any reason for the recent changes ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back