Champs Lg UEFA Champions League 2023/24 (Semi Finals) - On Stan

Champions League

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't they win a treble literally last year

Um, yes?

And as I just posted, Haaland himself acknowledges that was the reason he was brought in. And this season he has failed to make an impact in the knock out stages. Or are you suggesting that because all was achieved last season the City squad just put their feet up this season?

Why was he brought in?

Everything at the time was about how City struggled in knock out ties so having a prolific goal scorer who could make the difference in those one off games was the missing piece.

Haaland seems to think that was the reason.

The same reason every player is brought in.

To improve the squad.

The same reason every player is brought in.

To improve the squad.

Yes, to improve a squad that was already regularly winning the PL in order to.. perform better in the CL. He achieved this feat last season and failed in his performances this season when it came to the knock outs. There's no shame in suggesting he has had a disappointing second season despite his buckets of goals against lower opposition.

Yes, to improve a squad that was already regularly winning the PL in order to.. perform better in the CL. He achieved this feat last season and failed in his performances this season when it came to the knock outs. There's no shame in suggesting he has had a disappointing second season despite his buckets of goals against lower opposition.
If you've convinced yourself that's the case, I'm not going to argue with you.

For me, I'll judge his signing (any signing) on what they do over the course of a season/seasons. Not just a cup game or tie

So far, so good. 83 goals in 91 appearances. 3 trophies with hopefully more to come.

If you've convinced yourself that's the case, I'm not going to argue with you.

For me, I'll judge his signing (any signing) on what they do over the course of a season/seasons. Not just a cup game or tie

So far, so good. 83 goals in 91 appearances. 3 trophies with hopefully more to come.

You keep trying to move the goal posts on what I'm discussing, which primarily is his performances this season and specifically his performances in this year's CL. If you're happy with him in general, then great, but last I checked this thread was for the 23/24 CL so didn't think suggesting he underperformed in this tournament would be so controversial.

Oh how I’d love to be in that position for Arsenal, to have a striker score 30+ goals across the season and measure whether that’s a success or not.

Arsenal need a killer in front of goal. So often as you try and climb that final hurdle in Europe, you need that world class moment.

Oh how I’d love to be in that position for Arsenal, to have a striker score 30+ goals across the season and measure whether that’s a success or not.

Arsenal need a killer in front of goal. So often as you try and climb that final hurdle in Europe, you need that world class moment.

I hear there are some solid strikers in League 2.

Has he scored 30 goals in the CL this season? Because that's what I was discussing.. I don't particularly care how many goals he's scored against the Lutons and Burnleys of the PL.

I'm not quite sure why suggesting Haaland has been underwhelming in the CL is such a controversial comment.

Once again, proven you have probably the shittest trolling of anyone on this forum and that's saying something
He scored the tap in that deflected to him other than that I was really glad he was playing for City and at least when he finally got dragged it was late in the game and he had done the damage to his team. There's a reason he's the wrong side of 30 and only 1 CL to his name. Great players get more than that.

You keep trying to move the goal posts on what I'm discussing, which primarily is his performances this season and specifically his performances in this year's CL. If you're happy with him in general, then great, but last I checked this thread was for the 23/24 CL so didn't think suggesting he underperformed in this tournament would be so controversial.

You're saying that he should only be judged on a champions league knockout performance.

If you think he underperformed in the champions league this season, you go for it. But you are working on the premise that the purpose of his signing was champions league. Which for me is a stupid premise.

You're saying that he should only be judged on a champions league knockout performance.

If you think he underperformed in the champions league this season, you go for it. But you are working on the premise that the purpose of his signing was champions league. Which for me is a stupid premise.
You won CL last season but it wasn't coz of Haaland he didn't trouble Rudiger at all last year and RM were building a young squad. They've already looked a class above City today and I think once Mbappe signs you will see the difference a striker can make.

I'm saying in a thread about the CL he should be judged on performances in the CL, yes.

So you think he was signed to help you win the PL? Haaland himself didn't think so so I don't think it's as stupid a premise as you're making out. I tried to find other articles from the time analysing the signing but I do recall a lot of the talk at the time was the fact City needed a player like him to improve their performances in knock out games in the CL which, at the time, you had failed to overcome. Last season he performed well and you won the treble. This season less so. It's not the end of the world. Maybe next season he'll perform again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You won CL last season but it wasn't coz of Haaland he didn't trouble Rudiger at all last year and RM were building a young squad. They've already looked a class above City today and I think once Mbappe signs you will see the difference a striker can make.

So he didn't even manage it last season? I wonder if Haaland considers his performances so far to be what he'd wanted given his own admission about why he was signed by City.

So you think he was signed to help you win the PL?

No, I think he was signed to improve the squad as I said. 18 champions league goals in the last two seasons fwiw. 41 in his career so far.

Last edited:

If you signed a world class striker, where does that leave Kai?

No, I think he was signed to improve the squad as I said. 18 champions league goals in the last two seasons fwiw.

Improve the squad to achieve what?

1 goal in the knock outs this season fwiw.

6 in 9 in the comp this year. Yeah Arsenal didn't have a single player with the same record, instead they had Saka, Jesus and Trossard each score 4. They also got knocked out at this stage, and perhaps the same argument will be made for them (as Glen was actually all but making) that having a prolific striker might have made the difference for them..

He scored the tap in that deflected to him other than that I was really glad he was playing for City and at least when he finally got dragged it was late in the game and he had done the damage to his team. There's a reason he's the wrong side of 30 and only 1 CL to his name. Great players get more than that.
Congratulations on saying another incredibly moronic thing. You are the shittest troll on this place by a mile

This is just a bit weird for my liking.

I was actually happy to have a genuine discussion, but your default setting (and I don't fully blame you) is to turn everything into a tit for tat because you're so used to irrational criticism of City. Maybe best to leave it there then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back