Roast Umpires thread

I'm not against rule changes but fair Dinkum why so many? This game must be so bloody hard to umpire at the highest level. Lots and lots of confusing decisions this season.

Googstar

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets
To me it's the ones they don't play that rip me. Have many times do oppo teams either drop or throw the ball and never get pinged. Sure enough, as soon as one of our boys get possessions they can't blow the whistle quick enough.

I'm struggling to watch the game with what I call non footy playing events controlling the game. I understand the point of the protected zone, but over half of the 50's result from having no consequence. By that I mean yes they are in the protected zone but the player isn't having any impact at all. Leave calling until there is an impact of some kind. If the player with ball chooses to run towards the potential offender and the potential offender becomes involved pay the 50m then. These are not game play events and don't need to made that way.

I Like the 6 / 6 / 6, but stop the warning, give the boundary umpires the power to call it if the other two field umpires can't count it. Stop the bullshit around it - is there is more cut and dried rule?

McTiger

Senior List
Sep 24, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Another disgraceful display of umpiring. The AFL has complicated the game so much that it must be hard to adjudicate but surely it can't be that hard to see another playing mauling one of the game's stand-out players. Such neglect brings out irrational behaviour by the players who the game should be protecting. Very disappointing. I hope such neglect is also shown towards the likes of Cripps and Fyfe when they are being mauled by hack footballers.

Dunger

Premiership Player
Nov 28, 2008
-37.822165, 144.988143
AFL Club
Richmond
They want respect as officiators of the game, they need to be consistent in their calls and let the players get on with the game.

They are driving the game into the ground with their calls on inane events and their inability to call actual infringements like htb, throws on a consistent and regular basis.

Gws were the better team in the second half but we were far better than them in the first half and the umpires kept their scoreboard ticking over with frees that we get done for but is play on for everyone else

THE THIN MAN

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆🏆
Jan 7, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Hardwick may also come under examination from the AFL after appearing to confirm an ABC Grandstand report that he had sprayed match officials at half-time over Martin’s treatment.

De Boer’s extraordinary tagging job on one of the game’s best restricted Martin to just 15 disposals, his lowest count since round one, 2015.

Post-match, Hardwick doubled down in his claim that Martin’s reaction in jumper-punching de Boer and laying out Kennedy was justified based on the lack of action taken by umpires to protect him.

“Why do you reckon he might give away that free kick?” retorted Hardwick.
“At the end of the day, blokes come to watch the No.4 play. Let the bloke play the game. Protect the ball carrier is what I’m saying. Don’t get me wrong, de Boer did a terrific job but geez…

“Well I’m certainly frustrated. I’d be interested to see what the umpiring fraternity says about it.”
Asked would he take it up with the AFL, Hardwick said “I don’t bother,” before admitting he confronted match officials about it mid-game.

“Well I was just asking their responsibility to the ball player. I didn’t get a response.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...n/news-story/b6a272d106e4530161298cfcaf37d6ef

Aeons

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Hardwick may also come under examination from the AFL after appearing to confirm an ABC Grandstand report that he had sprayed match officials at half-time over Martin’s treatment.

De Boer’s extraordinary tagging job on one of the game’s best restricted Martin to just 15 disposals, his lowest count since round one, 2015.

Post-match, Hardwick doubled down in his claim that Martin’s reaction in jumper-punching de Boer and laying out Kennedy was justified based on the lack of action taken by umpires to protect him.

“At the end of the day, blokes come to watch the No.4 play. Let the bloke play the game. Protect the ball carrier is what I’m saying. Don’t get me wrong, de Boer did a terrific job but geez…

“Well I’m certainly frustrated. I’d be interested to see what the umpiring fraternity says about it.”
Asked would he take it up with the AFL, Hardwick said “I don’t bother,” before admitting he confronted match officials about it mid-game.

“Well I was just asking their responsibility to the ball player. I didn’t get a response.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...n/news-story/b6a272d106e4530161298cfcaf37d6ef
time to boycott the HUN for good I think...

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,

And he won’t get a response but he will get a fine, FIFA are cleanskins compared to the AFL

Aeons

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
That was tactical by Clarkson, they don't play us every week so why complain about what Richmond are doing.

By drawing attention as you say to Richmond because he knows the media lose their s**t when tigers are involved, it drew attention away from Hawthorn who could keep going about their dirty tactics without the media scrutiny ie: poppy, rioli and co dropping the knees, roughy, gibbo and co tunnelling, hawk players interferring with the man on the mark etc etc

Hawks go from + 15 in 2016 to -27 in 2017 then back to +3 in 2018.

And in the process as you quoted we go from -17 in 2016 to -60 in 2017 to a whopping -120 in 2018.
cannot for the life of me figure out why such a powerful club let's them get away with clear bias against us...it's benny's job to go into bat for the club with things like this but he hasn't....so we will continue to get smashed by them...

Neen

????????????
Jul 1, 2011
Thomastown
AFL Club
Richmond
Watched the second half of Colonwood VS WCE. At half time, free kicks were almost equal. Second half was Umpiring corruption in action as they tried to drag the scum over the line. I think they had around 7 frees in a row. Maybe one was legit. Eagles got hardly anything.

The GWS cheer squad commentary team on Fox have a new definition called "the ball has been flicked out". GWS "Giants" should be renamed to "GWS Globetrotters". Again, nothing in the media except a "contentious" non paid free to Colonwood. The game is stuffed.

Aeons

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Another disgraceful display of umpiring. The AFL has complicated the game so much that it must be hard to adjudicate but surely it can't be that hard to see another playing mauling one of the game's stand-out players. Such neglect brings out irrational behaviour by the players who the game should be protecting. Very disappointing. I hope such neglect is also shown towards the likes of Cripps and Fyfe when they are being mauled by hack footballers.
it's like any sport . it is easy if you have an unbiased approach and interpret the rules and enforce them even handedly with consistency. the rules are not our problem. the bias against us is the main problem imo. what ump could you name that has ever been regarded as favouring us? I cannot think of one....

Aeons

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Watched the second half of Colonwood VS WCE. At half time, free kicks were almost equal. Second half was Umpiring corruption in action as they tried to drag the scum over the line. I think they had around 7 frees in a row. Maybe one was legit. Eagles got hardly anything.

The GWS cheer squad commentary team on Fox have a new definition called "the ball has been flicked out". GWS "Giants" should be renamed to "GWS Globetrotters". Again, nothing in the media except a "contentious" non paid free to Colonwood. The game is stuffed.
yep I picked up on this as well. the umps are very pro Colliewobbles. the media are all sucking on the afl Wang like a pack of vultures so will never go against the wishes of the cartel and call things as they are. starting to think that the comp is seriously corrupt. mc chins not getting sanctioned for his appalling denigration of the coin toss lady is a classic example. yet you watch dimma get smashed by the pricks for calling out the inept umpiring! if Benny ever does get the afl CEO posse just watch the great masses of unwashed cry foul....

McTiger

Senior List
Sep 24, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond

I don't think they do any commentary - they are junket merchants who get together over a weekend - all expenses paid - and have a chat/laugh amongst themselves while there happens to be a game of footy being played in front of them. It's the gift given to those who have the insatiable appetite to talk shite for several hours.

Craze

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
Good to see the umpires went down on Pies again last night. The mark paid to Cox which led to crucial goal, when a dogs player clunked it with both hands before dropping it into Cox's grasp. If that was Tom Lynch, play on ...

Shazza_

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2018
Safeway carpark
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL
Good to see the umpires went down on Pies again last night. The mark paid to Cox which led to crucial goal, when a dogs player clunked it with both hands before dropping it into Cox's grasp. If that was Tom Lynch, play on ...
the umps must have seen frank's whinge thread on the mb and thought pies were getting the rough end of the stick..

Neen

????????????
Jul 1, 2011
Thomastown
AFL Club
Richmond
Unfamiliar territory for the Pies. They might have to send a txt to Gil for a "please Explain" over the lop sided free kick count. Not used to losing that all important stat.

Coach_Required

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool & Boston Celtics
The non holding the ball interpretation does my head in and I've stopped watching footy except our games because of it.

Umpire: "Tried to get rid of it play on / he made an attempt" .... *player tackled basically throws the ball out*

and now players are getting driven in the back in contests and its called play on however give away the one where a player flops forward in a tackle to get a free kick for in the back.

The non holding the ball interpretation does my head in and I've stopped watching footy except our games because of it.

Umpire: "Tried to get rid of it play on / he made an attempt" .... *player tackled basically throws the ball out*

and now players are getting driven in the back in contests and its called play on however give away the one where a player flops forward in a tackle to get a free kick for in the back.

this was called play on.

Back