Umpiring in the Grand Final...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
zzzzz. Got one in the third quarter for exactly what was described.
You'll have to fill me in with more details given your memory is clear. I'm struggling to remember which Swans player was standing 'inside his mark' before 'tackling the man on the mark' and getting a 50.

Anyone who doesn't think that umpiring was one sided is braindead and can * off back to facebook football groups.

It is impossible to say if Bulldogs were actually better given they played to a different set of rules. What happens if the umps don't reward them for slides all day? What happens if a Dogs player then decides not to slide in to Hannebery and take him out when theres a goal in it?

Last edited:
This is weird. A thread for this finally.

Great for the dogs thoroughly deserved. And face it. 2 points the diff mid way thorugh the last in a GF and they just went whack. Pure winners fair and square. Too good on the day and all year, so no taking away from that.

However I used to think posters like Plugger35 were utterly deluded and there was no way the AFL could contrive a result and fix a game. Now I'm not so sure. The umpiring today was a dead set total farce and just completely one sided. How the hell does this happen on the biggest stage? How is a major story on a footy forum not a brilliant bulldogs outfit but the abysmal contrived umpiring?

A weird GF. When you have biased commentary barracking for the dogs (and entirely fair enough too given swans have had the "story" in the past fair enough) questioning the officialdom you know something is amiss.

Today's umpiring was a disgrace. No other way to put it. And rather than blame the umps out there instruction and "interpretations" dead set start at the top. A farce of a GF in many ways.

Last edited:
I don't like sydney much and was going for the doggies but that was the most bias umpiring I have ever seen !

It probably would have been a very close game if the swans had of been payed the frees they deserved and a GF for the ages .

But instead it has left a sour taste in my mouth about the integrity of this competition .

well done bulldogs you have been a great side this year .

* you afl you have been a ******* joke this year

The umpiring used to be at least fair in the GF but not anymore.

That was a disgraceful umpiring display today, the bias towards the Bulldogs was obvious and influenced the result.

The AFL need to stop scripting results WWE style or people will lose interest, we aren't as dumb as American WWE fans, we know bullshit when we see it.

Um... been on social media today? My own friends chased me off facebook today for being a buzzkill.

I don't like sydney much and was going for the doggies but that was the most bias umpiring I have ever seen !

It probably would have been a very close game if the swans had of been payed the frees they deserved and a GF for the ages .

But instead it has left a sour taste in my mouth about the integrity of this competition .

well done bulldogs you have been a great side this year .

**** you afl you have been a ******* joke this year

Exactly. I love footy as much as anyone. But what integrity? But what will change? The swans can't complain. The rest are caught in hype.

The AFL is meant to be a sporting comp not scripted reality television. Today was a ******* joke.

I thought the corner would turn with Gil into a sporting comp. But apparently not.

I'm not for one minute saying it changed the result but today's GF was a dead set ******* joke.

Integrity? What integrity? Today was bullshit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going back through the GF records, and this was the biggest differential (12) in free kicks in a GF since 1983, when Hawthorn had 44-26(!) in an 83 point win.

The Swans total of 8 free kicks for the game is the equal lowest ever recorded in a GF.

How the game is played these days there should be 60 odd free kick per game. The umpiring today was shocking.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Whilst I thought the Dogs were harder all day and worthy premiers, I have the following thoughts:

• When are the non-Victorian sides going to finally demand neutral umpires in all matches? Why in a national competition, can we not have umpiring "teams" who are neutral? WA umpires for a day like today, SA umpires for West Coast and Freo etc?

• The free kick count was atrocious, but when it was on early in the last, the Dogs first two goals both had lead ups where their players dropped it and should have been pinged for HTB....it is not just the frees paid, it is those that aren't.

• When was in the back removed from Laws of the Game?

It is easy to say but in 3 qtrs. of football Sydney only got 4 free kicks while the Dogs got 17. 5-0 in the 3rd term alone.

As much as people don't like it some of these decisions or non decisions change momentum and matches.
The dogs did the one thing the Swans could be relied on doing and that was edging them out of contests. The Swans don't like that as evidenced by the GWS beating them up and today the dogs did exactly the same just not as brutally as GWS did. That's where they lost the game and that's nothing to do with umpiring. The dogs won and kept winning the momentum back of their own accord.

Thank you to all the non-trolling and neutrals for validating my feelings.

I can not justify attending another game until I get some expectation of unbiased umpiring and can't see me taking out Fox Footy subscription again.

Have umpires ever been booed at the end of a Grand Final before? Could you hear it on the broadcast?

True Bloods culture is coming out now. Blame the umpires for the defeat.

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Sure, we've lost by 3 goals and are moaning about the umps.

Is it just me or are umpiring statistics the only piece of data that Champion Data is not allowed to circulate?

Why can't we see data around how certain umpires award free kicks?

Sydney don't win free kick counts at home....and get smacked at home against Victorian opponents.

Whilst I thought the Dogs were harder all day and worthy premiers, I have the following thoughts:

• When are the non-Victorian sides going to finally demand neutral umpires in all matches? Why in a national competition, can we not have umpiring "teams" who are neutral? WA umpires for a day like today, SA umpires for West Coast and Freo etc?

• The free kick count was atrocious, but when it was on early in the last, the Dogs first two goals both had lead ups where their players dropped it and should have been pinged for HTB....it is not just the frees paid, it is those that aren't.

• When was in the back removed from Laws of the Game?
Doesn't matter who umpires.

It's not umpire bias - it's AFL directive that's the issue.

The dogs did the one thing the Swans could be relied on doing and that was edging them out of contests. The Swans don't like that as evidenced by the GWS beating them up and today the dogs did exactly the same just not as brutally as GWS did. That's where they lost the game and that's nothing to do with umpiring. The dogs won and kept winning the momentum back of their own accord.
Spot on - move the ball on with pace and eventually the Swans one on one stuff breaks down. It wasn't a big Kennedy move but swarming pressure from many and fast run on the outside. Both teams test the laws to the limit. Dogs go have a new approach.

Sure, we've lost by 3 goals and are moaning about the umps.

Is it just me or are umpiring statistics the only piece of data that Champion Data is not allowed to circulate?

Why can't we see data around how certain umpires award free kicks?

Sydney don't win free kick counts at home....and get smacked at home against Victorian opponents.
Don't worry - the AFL umpiring department will release their review which clears everything and confirms all decisions were correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back