Preview Unofficial Preview - Dees v the Richmond "Tigers"

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeebus, that the best you have?

We did have a banner but some toothless Tiger supporters nicked it.

Sorry that some of us have family that aren't in jail that we can go and see on the weekends doing something other than stealing cars or sniffing paint cans.

"SNOW ARRIVES EARLY THIS YEAR"
With poor onfield form and the onset of a cold snap with snow falling in the highlands already, Melbourne supporters are expected to go missing again this season.

P.S. Orders currently being taken for Pre Loved (Borrowed) Range Rovers with preprogrammed SatNav ski destinations.

Also available cheap Microwaves for Melb members who still have the pre microwave proof memberships. We don't need them anymore.:D

With poor onfield form and the onset of a cold snap with snow falling in the highlands already, Melbourne supporters are expected to go missing again this season.

P.S. Orders currently being taken for Pre Loved (Borrowed) Range Rovers with preprogrammed SatNav ski destinations.

Also available cheap Microwaves for Melb members who still have the pre microwave proof memberships. We don't need them anymore.:D

Don't speak too soon, you may require it after round four at the cattery. Hopefully Mario will ring up all the stations and leave his details so we can mail them in.

Did you win a prize during your time in high school for your ability to be original? It's fascinating!

Melbourne: out: Grimes, Green, Bartram, Bail, Watts, Bennell, Dunn, MacDonaldx2, Jamar, Garland, Sellar.

In:Bit of Heart.

Tigers out - intelligence, teeth

In: More tatts, more Year 7 drop outs.

To say that both teams need to win this is an understatement.
Once again the hype over Richmond and Melbourne during the preseason has fizzled into a mere flicker after both copping rounds 1 and 2 losses.

Last Week
Melbourne looked good in the first half against Brisbane, before shutting up the shop early. Against West Coast in Perth, it was a flogging.
Richmond was within a kick halfway through the final quarter against Carlton, but surrended meekly. Against Collingwood, the final margin was 21 points, but the result never really looked in doubt from the outset.
So whose form is better for the want of a 'better' word. Melbourne won't be the only side to be slaughtered by the mountains of men from the west. The Tigers have played two top 4 contenders.
I still believe both sides' lists are very similar.
Who Needs to Lift?
Richmond have had many of their regarded players well down on form so far.
Jack Riewoldt, while kicking 4 in round 1, was bitterly disappointing against the Pies. Add to this that James Frawley relishes playing against the Red Roo and it's a mouth-watering contest.
Tyrone Vickery has been woefully poor - indeed the battle between he and Jared Rivers will be worth watching for all the wrong reasons. Dustin Martin just plodding along.
Melbourne's woes have been similar. Brad Green's output has not been good enough. More has also been expected of big ruckman Mark Jamar.
The Good
Things haven't been all bad however. For the Tigers, Ivan Maric has been a breath of fresh air in a position where the side has been disgustingly poor, Trent Cotchin has been a lone hand in the midfield and Alex Rance continues to improve at a rapid rate. Young Melbourne gun Jack Trengove has future star written all over him, mature-aged recruit James Magner adds grunt and class and Mitch Clark justified the hype last week with a lone hand of 5 goals.
Why is it bad?
So how of Melbourne's poor form can be justified by the new coach's game plan and structure? Too early to say, but it would have had some impact. Neeld gave every indication that would recall Aaron Davey to the side, which suggests he may have a different role for him against the Tigers. Maybe a run-with job?
Fortunately for Richmond, Colin Sylvia is still missing, which means he won't be able to perform his annual demolition job. Perhaps Nathan Jones can step in his absence? His form against the Eagles was decent.
So where will this game be won and lost? It's all too easy to say the midfield, but I don't believe it to be the case this week.
Match ups
If Frawley beats Riewoldt, Rivers beats Vickery and Miller is held to one or two, Melbourne win.
Similarly, if Rance or Grimes can nullify Clark, then I can't see Melbourne scoring enough goals, unless Jurrah comes back in and terrorises the Richmond defence, like he usually does.
Both coaches are under pressure to drop leadership veterans. Neeld must make the call on Green and Hardwick will be forced to decide on the immediate future of Daniel Jackson. Back them for one more week, or set the standard and make the tough call? In the case of Jackson, it is an easy call. His form has been diabolical. if Jackson plays, RIchmond go into the game with 21 players.
Recipes for Success
Melbourne's best chance of a win rests with the ability to pressure the ball carrier into making mistakes. Players such as Grigg, Houli, Newman, Morris to name just a few do tend to panic when pressured and are not allowed room to the move football quickly. This is where Neeld must insist his players take a risk in sacrificing the possibility of leaving their own man to force a mistake at the first direct contest. Risky, but against a team like Richmond, it could be a winning formula. RIchmond have also been poor at scoring from centre bounces. This is where calls to omit Jamar must be ignored and the Melbourne mids must be prepared to put in the fight of their lives to clear the ball first from the centre square. Jamar represents Melbourne's best chance to combat Richmond's prize recruit in Ivan Maric, who has performed beyond all expectations. Statistics show that RIchmond's defence doesn't like the ball coming in quickly (what defence does like that?).
What to Expect
I am tipping a close game.
Melbourne will turn up to play. Similarly Richmond has much to play for. With games against Geelong at Simmonds and West Coast at Etihad to come, a loss here could spell a 0-5 start and effectively season over.
I won't make a tip as far as a winning side and margin in concerned.
But I expect an absorbing contest than neutral commentators will no doubt fob off as a comedy show put on my two struggling sides.
But if one is prepared to go to the MCG on Saturday and actually watch the game proplery, he/she will be rewarded with a close contest by two sides who are as desperate for the four points as each other.

(failing all that, I will be there and will be getting my drink on just in case it is a comical farce after all)

Don't think this thread is for banter so ask before posting or you might go red or better yet keep the discussion on football.
Yeah it's probably more of a proper preview thread, but banter is always expected and welcome. Just be prepared to cop a bit back and be told to ease off if things start getting out of hand.

tugga - I really want to read that, but it's a big ****ing wall of text. Any chance you edit it in to something legible? (not having a dig)

good luck on the weekend! I am taking the whole ****ing week off if we lose ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As always Biff, this is a premium quality thread mate :thumbsu::D

Tigers out - intelligence, teeth

In: More tatts, more Year 7 drop outs.

Out: Damien Hardwick

143803-hardwick.jpg

In: Cat's arse

146445151_fd31dbf364.jpg

:p

tugga - I really want to read that, but it's a big ****ing wall of text. Any chance you edit it in to something legible? (not having a dig)
My first thought was 'holy wall of words Batman!'

Cliffs please.

Yeah it's probably more of a proper preview thread, but banter is always expected and welcome. Just be prepared to cop a bit back and be told to ease off if things start getting out of hand.

good luck on the weekend! I am taking the whole ****ing week off if we lose ...

Geez syl, it's only two or three lines:confused: :D

My first thought was 'holy wall of words Batman!'

Cliffs please.
Can you move it to the proper preview thread? It doesn't take that long to read.
Or delete it if you think it's crap.

Can you move it to the proper preview thread? It doesn't take that long to read.
Or delete it if you think it's crap.
Might chuck it in the official preview OP once its done as a 'other side ' point of view.

Waiting on it to be opened by W33.

Might chuck it in the official preview OP once its done as a 'other side ' point of view.

Yeah, that's a good idea mate.

I'll include it myself when I post up the official preview - complete with paragraph spacing ;)

I will edit it then:

tugga said:
To say that both teams need to win this is an understatement.

Once again the hype over Richmond and Melbourne during the preseason has fizzled into a mere flicker after both copping rounds 1 and 2 losses.

Melbourne looked good in the first half against Brisbane, before shutting up the shop early. Against West Coast in Perth, it was a flogging.

Richmond was within a kick halfway through the final quarter against Carlton, but surrended meekly. Against Collingwood, the final margin was 21 points, but the result never really looked in doubt from the outset.

So whose form is better for the want of a 'better' word: Melbourne won't be the only side to be slaughtered by the mountains of men from the west. The Tigers have played two top 4 contenders. I still believe both sides' lists are very similar.

Richmond have had many of their regarded players well down on form so far. Jack Riewoldt, while kicking 4 in round 1, was bitterly disappointing against the Pies. Add to this that James Frawley relishes playing against the Red Roo and it's a mouth-watering contest. Tyrone Vickery has been woefully poor - indeed the battle between he and Jared Rivers will be worth watching for all the wrong reasons. Dustin Martin just plodding along.

Melbourne's woes have been similar. Brad Green's output has not been good enough. More has also been expected of big ruckman Mark Jamar.

Things haven't been all bad however.

For the Tigers, Ivan Maric has been a breath of fresh air in a position where the side has been disgustingly poor, Trent Cotchin has been a lone hand in the midfield and Alex Rance continues to improve at a rapid rate.

Young Melbourne gun Jack Trengove has future star written all over him, mature-aged recruit James Magner adds grunt and class and Mitch Clark justified the hype last week with a lone hand of 5 goals.

So how of Melbourne's poor form can be justified by the new coach's game plan and structure? Too early to say, but it would have had some impact. Neeld gave every indication that would recall Aaron Davey to the side, which suggests he may have a different role for him against the Tigers. Maybe a run-with job?

Fortunately for Richmond, Colin Sylvia is still missing, which means he won't be able to perform his annual demolition job. Perhaps Nathan Jones can step in his absence? His form against the Eagles was decent.

So where will this game be won and lost? It's all too easy to say the midfield, but I don't believe it to be the case this week.
If Frawley beats Riewoldt, Rivers beats Vickery and Miller is held to one or two, Melbourne win.

Similarly, if Rance or Grimes can nullify Clark, then I can't see Melbourne scoring enough goals, unless Jurrah comes back in and terrorises the Richmond defence, like he usually does.

Both coaches are under pressure to drop leadership veterans.

Neeld must make the call on Green and Hardwick will be forced to decide on the immediate future of Daniel Jackson. Back them for one more week, or set the standard and make the tough call? In the case of Jackson, it is an easy call. His form has been diabolical. If Jackson plays, Richmond go into the game with 21 players.

Melbourne's best chance of a win rests with the ability to pressure the ball carrier into making mistakes. Players such as Grigg, Houli, Newman, Morris to name just a few do tend to panic when pressured and are not allowed room to the move football quickly.

This is where Neeld must insist his players take a risk in sacrificing the possibility of leaving their own man to force a mistake at the first direct contest. Risky, but against a team like Richmond, it could be a winning formula.

Richmond have also been poor at scoring from centre bounces. This is where calls to omit Jamar must be ignored and the Melbourne mids must be prepared to put in the fight of their lives to clear the ball first from the centre square. Jamar represents Melbourne's best chance to combat Richmond's prize recruit in Ivan Maric, who has performed beyond all expectations. Statistics show that RIchmond's defence doesn't like the ball coming in quickly (what defence does like that?).

I am tipping a close game.

Melbourne will turn up to play. Similarly Richmond has much to play for. With games against Geelong at Simmonds and West Coast at Etihad to come, a loss here could spell a 0-5 start and effectively season over.

I won't make a tip as far as a winning side and margin in concerned. But I expect an absorbing contest than neutral commentators will no doubt fob off as a comedy show put on my two struggling sides.

But if one is prepared to go to the MCG on Saturday and actually watch the game proplery, he/she will be rewarded with a close contest by two sides who are as desperate for the four points as each other.

(failing all that, I will be there and will be getting my drink on just in case it is a comical farce after all)

Nah - was a good read :thumbsu:

stop being lazy sods and read it.

I was so UN-lazy I edited it for the rest of the people who come to read it.

Was a good read! Glad I did get around to it.

nvm

Cheers tugga! :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back