Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Genuine question - win the Europa league or continue to bow out at the round of 16 in the champions league?

As a player you want to play against the best, you're not going to achieve that playing Europa league. While give me the hope of going on fairy tale like run (similar to that of 06 side) over Europa league.

Europa League is at least on par with the FA cup. I'd also rather win the Europa League than exit the Round of 16 CL, its still a European Trophy and now offers direct CL qualification. Champions League Quarters or better and I'd take that though.

As a player you want to play against the best, you're not going to achieve that playing Europa league. While give me the hope of going on fairy tale like run (similar to that of 06 side) over Europa league.

Yes I agree with your opening, you want to play against the best. But for Arsenal, it's a case of continually losing against the best.

2006 was the closest we've come, if not for Mad Jens I had every belief we would've won that game. Unfortunately, it's going to be a long time before we get a chance again. The Europa League, whilst a second tier tournament, is still a major European trophy.

I know many Arsenal fans were against us tumbling out at the group stage of the CL this year, but hell we'd be a very genuine chance of winning Europa if it fell that way. Anyway, always an interesting discussion.

Ehh I wouldn't mind winning a European Trophy, I wouldn't mind winning the Europa League if it was on offer. We aren't going to win the CL anytime soon.

Yeah Reality is we have only made the last 4 twice in like 19 attempts in the Champions League under Wenger. Haven't even got past the Round of 16 since 2010.

Yes I agree with your opening, you want to play against the best. But for Arsenal, it's a case of continually losing against the best.

2006 was the closest we've come, if not for Mad Jens I had every belief we would've won that game. Unfortunately, it's going to be a long time before we get a chance again. The Europa League, whilst a second tier tournament, is still a major European trophy.

I know many Arsenal fans were against us tumbling out at the group stage of the CL this year, but hell we'd be a very genuine chance of winning Europa if it fell that way. Anyway, always an interesting discussion.

Playing out the season in the Europa League severely hampers a run at the title.

Which is why I don't fear Spurs this season.

True, but our issue is we need to close the talent gap between us and the best. You don't get those kinds of players by looking to win the Europa League. Personally, I'd like to win a European trophy, but let's be honest; Sevilla won it three years in a row, and nobody of note went looking to play for them.

Playing out the season in the Europa League severely hampers a run at the title.

Which is why I don't fear Spurs this season.

We've found many ways to hamper a run at the title without the Europa league though.

A club with the depth and resources of Arsenal should be able to go deep into a tournament like that whilst still shoring up a top 4 spot in the league.

True, but our issue is we need to close the talent gap between us and the best. You don't get those kinds of players by looking to win the Europa League. Personally, I'd like to win a European trophy, but let's be honest; Sevilla won it three years in a row, and nobody of note went looking to play for them.

That's fair enough, but it's changed a bit in recent years. Not all players want to play for club that's in the CL. United and Chelsea still acquire world class players without it, obviously though their wage structure in much much higher than ours. Just saying, it's not only about the CL anymore, as it perhaps was 7-8 years ago.

The whole transfer market has significantly changed.

That's fair enough, but it's changed a bit in recent years. Not all players want to play for club that's in the CL. United and Chelsea still acquire world class players without it, obviously though their wage structure in much much higher than ours. Just saying, it's not only about the CL anymore, as it perhaps was 7-8 years ago.

The whole transfer market has significantly changed.
That's the point. We refuse to change our wage structure (tho maybe that is being forced to change now), so we need the CL as an attraction point.

That's the point. We refuse to change our wage structure (tho maybe that is being forced to change now), so we need the CL as an attraction point.

We have still failed to hold onto key players over the years despite constant CL qualification and the same thing is likely to happen with Sanchez and Ozil. We need to change our whole ambition as a club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Arsenal itk's on Twitter are saying Bellerin, Gibbs and even Coquelin will be in contention for Burnley. The early talk is that Giroud's injury isn't too bad either - he could make Burnley but might miss a week.

So it's Southampton confirmed in the next round of the Cup. They've already knocked us out of one cup this season, but of a bogey team especially away.

Wenger said Giroud is a chance for this weekend, has been training since yesterday. Well there you go.

There's still a chance though he's out until 2019 with Wenger's track record of injury updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back