Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

On balance, 5th feels about right for this team. In the context of the last few years for Arsenal, it still represents a very good season overall with a young squad that has plenty of upside.

However that’s a bit of a selective statement on its own. 4 point lead heading into the NLD, it was entirely within Arsenal’s grasp. Arsenal didn’t have the tactical nous or experience to even grind out a draw, which would have been an excellent result and provided the cushion for a loss like this morning (we’d still be in 4th with a 1 point lead).

Instead, Arteta madly sets up with Tomiyasu and Cedric on the wrong flanks which plays into their hands beautifully and completely exposes Holding (his moments of madness didn’t help).

No matter how you try and dice or slice it, it’s a bottle job from where Arsenal were positioned. Looked nowhere near it this morning. Newcastle played us off the park. Could’ve been 4-5 nil towards the end.

January always comes back into the spotlight when a run of losses like this happens. It’s a threadbare squad that was completely stripped down, and many of them have performed admirably (Elneny, Cedric, Nketiah) etc however there’s a clear gap in the required quality to get the job done on a consistent basis. You can only rely on that for so long.

No Europe, no Cups, just the league, pathetic.

Yes we shouldn’t overlook that point. One game a week for the majority of the season. Very favourable circumstances to focus completely on the league, a great opportunity that’s been fluffed.

Joke club. See ya Arteta.

His contract has just been extended to 2025.

We've definitely overachieved, but had we not come out of Jan with a threadbare squad and it be properly managed it might have been a different story.

The squad is young and obviously lacks consistency, which will hopefully improve with time and experience. But we really need to clear out the s**t that's here, and really need to bring in some better players, both to start and as squad players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

13 league losses again. Just way too many. Need to grind them out and convert them into draws, those crucial points make all the difference at this end of the season. Very fine margins. Some harsh lessons being learnt on the job here.

We've definitely overachieved
If we make CL we have overachieved think EL was the more realistic goal and about par for the course.
We build on this, bring in recruitments in the off season and go again, we should be aiming for CL next season though imo
Whether we reach that is another story.

Hands Reaction GIF by G2 Esports

4th was ours if we wanted it.

Still not convinced by Arteta but another full transfer window might be just enough to get him what he needs.

This is all on Arteta.

Imagine going into a key run of fixtures with Nketiah, El Neny, Tavares, Soares and Xhaka playing key roles. Absolutely laughable management from top to bottom.

This is all on Arteta.

Imagine going into a key run of fixtures with Nketiah, El Neny, Tavares, Soares and Xhaka playing key roles. Absolutely laughable management from top to bottom.

Cedric epitomises this. When he was signed, I clearly recall Arteta justifying the signing due to his versatility, saying he’s a quality fullback on the left and right side. For the second consecutive year, I’m left baffled by this. Season fell apart last year when Tierney went down, and Arteta couldn’t handle it. Shuffles Xhaka out there and we collapsed against Villarreal etc.

Fast forward 12 months, and he’s done it again. Doesn’t trust Tavares (his signing yet again). Inexplicably puts Xhaka there again during that poor run of 3 consecutive losses last month. And now, displaced Tomiyasu from his best position v Spurs and has him on the left instead of Cedric. And look what happened.

I just don’t get it. How can the season continually fall apart because your first choice left back is out of action. Tierney just can’t be relied upon. Need to sign a quality LB this summer to compete for that position. Whoever it is we’re going to need for 15-20 league matches.

On a side note, I’ve also been one of the few who advocate for Pepe’s end product. I’ll shut up about that now. His passing was terrible this morning. They should’ve scored from that turnover. Quite likely his last appearance in an Arsenal shirt.

Pretty flat morning. The lack of reinforcements over January have really cost us. We were lucky to challenge as long as we did with Nketiah and Lacazette being our only strikers. Partey and Tierney are injured too much, and capable competition should be sounded out.

Cedric epitomises this. When he was signed, I clearly recall Arteta justifying the signing due to his versatility, saying he’s a quality fullback on the left and right side. For the second consecutive year, I’m left baffled by this. Season fell apart last year when Tierney went down, and Arteta couldn’t handle it. Shuffles Xhaka out there and we collapsed against Villarreal etc.

Fast forward 12 months, and he’s done it again. Doesn’t trust Tavares (his signing yet again). Inexplicably puts Xhaka there again during that poor run of 3 consecutive losses last month. And now, displaced Tomiyasu from his best position v Spurs and has him on the left instead of Cedric. And look what happened.

I just don’t get it. How can the season continually fall apart because your first choice left back is out of action. Tierney just can’t be relied upon. Need to sign a quality LB this summer to compete for that position. Whoever it is we’re going to need for 15-20 league matches.

On a side note, I’ve also been one of the few who advocate for Pepe’s end product. I’ll shut up about that now. His passing was terrible this morning. They should’ve scored from that turnover. Quite likely his last appearance in an Arsenal shirt.

He's clueless.

Well said BTW.

Yeah not sure why we did not go hard for Bruno G.

We are linked with Hickey from Bologna.

He's clueless.

Well said BTW.

The trajectory of the squad is certainly there, and difficult to contextualise when these little spirals of poor results occur. The last two losses though have to be on Arteta. That was very limp this morning. Barely landed a blow.

It’s going to take a long time for Arteta to shake that Goldilocks tag. Can’t have any of his first XI out. Can’t concede the first goal. The list goes on and on. Everything has to be just right.

Yeah not sure why we did not go hard for Bruno G.

We are linked with Hickey from Bologna.

Yes I read that. We need to invest heavily this summer, in players that will compete for spots. Not just back ups or understudies.

Said it many times, the minutes Saka has played this season is a concern. Similar to Bellerin and Wilshere at a similar age. He’s run out of steam, understandably. ESR and Odegaard too. Martinelli hasn’t scored in a while. You’ve got to have options.

Unfortunately a few of them have been run into the ground and the pressure has got to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back