Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
bbc.com

Arsenal captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang says he lost four kilos in weight and was "really, really down" after contracting malaria while on international duty with Gabon in March.

Aubameyang, 31, made his return as a substitute in the Europa League semi-final first-leg defeat by Villarreal last week.

"This was the worst moment of being sick in my life because it was really hard," he said.

"I was feeling very, very bad."

The forward, who scored in Gabon's 3-0 win over DR Congo in Africa Cup of Nations qualification on 25 March, said he began to feel unwell during Arsenal's home loss to Liverpool on 3 April.

"As you know, going to Gabon is not so close to here," he said. "I felt just a bit tired, especially against Liverpool, but I thought it was just because of the travel.

"I had three days in a row, fever, all day and all night, non-stop. Even the paracetamol and stuff had no effects on this. After that, I spoke to the doctor.

"I said I needed to go to the hospital because I had travelled to Africa so maybe it was something like malaria.

"I stayed in hospital for three days. I was really, really down and I think I lost four kilos. It was a really bad moment and I think my family was a bit scared to see me like this."

After playing in Arsenal's Europa League quarter-final first leg against Slavia Prague on 8 April, Aubameyang missed the second leg and three Premier League games for the Gunners.

He was added to the starting line-up to face Newcastle at St James' Park on Sunday by manager Mikel Arteta, and repaid the Spaniard by grabbing a goal and an assist during the 2-0 win.

Aubameyang believes he is fit enough - physically and mentally - to face Villarreal in the second leg on Thursday and help Arsenal reach the Europa League final in Poland on 26 May.

"I would say I feel 90% - but I feel ready to start the game when it is important like this," he added "In my mind I feel more than 100%. My body has responded well but in my mind I'm definitely ready.

"It's been a really tough year because I have had some issues on and off the pitch, but in my mind I'm hungry and I want to finish [the season] off well for the club."

5am. Set the alarms.

Any sort of confidence in us? Away goal helps. Even if we do get through, I don't see us coming near United which is a shame.

2 (Potentially) EL Finals in a few years and I don't back us at all.

5am. Set the alarms.

Any sort of confidence in us? Away goal helps. Even if we do get through, I don't see us coming near United which is a shame.

2 (Potentially) EL Finals in a few years and I don't back us at all.

I think it's a flip of the coin, I can honestly see 2-1 and ET. It will be a bad look if we're the only English club to lose a SF this week though given we had the easiest opponents out of the 4.

I think it's a flip of the coin, I can honestly see 2-1 and ET. It will be a bad look if we're the only English club to lose a SF this week though given we had the easiest opponents out of the 4.
I agree. It's a must win for us.

but then again, we will lose to united. Not just a loss too, 3 or 4 put in the back of our net.

I agree. It's a must win for us.

but then again, we will lose to united. Not just a loss too, 3 or 4 put in the back of our net.

You just never know in a one off final over 90 minutes though, although at the moment it would be hard to see us beating them.

I’m confident enough of getting through somehow, but not confident that Arteta will learn from his mistakes and get the line up correct. If that makes sense.

How would you like to see the side line up?

Supposedly Tierney, Lacazette and even Luiz trained today - but highly unlikely they’re fit to play and maybe it’s just more mind games from Arteta talking up their chances.

So for me, I would go with something like:

Leno
Bellerin Chambers Gabriel Saka
Partey Xhaka
Pepe Odegaard Martinelli
Aubameyang

Saka at LB is contentious, and it’s been a long time since he’s played there. I would do it though, Xhaka can cover that area when he pushes forward. There was also a period late last season where Saka and Martinelli combined well together on the left side. And Arteta clearly doesn’t trust Cedric anymore after his * up v Slavia Prague, him not starting against Newcastle surely means he ain’t coming now.

However I also acknowledge the problems with that line up, being Pepe/Bellerin on the right. Even though I’d prefer Pepe on the left, have to squeeze him in somewhere as he has a very good record in the EL so far.

Arteta tends to play centre halves in pairs, so I’m not sure he’s going to go with an untried partnership.

So I reckon he’ll actually go with tomorrow morning:

Leno
Bellerin Holding Gabriel Xhaka
Partey Odegaard
Saka ESR Pepe
Aubameyang

I believe Odegaard has played a deeper CM role before and has the ability to do the job from there, certainly can do it better than Ceballos can (not saying much I know).

And can maybe save Martinelli for the final 25 minutes to come on for Aubameyang as he’s still working up his fitness from recovering from malaria.

For me I’d much prefer Martinelli starts, he makes s**t happen and we’re trailing in the tie so need a sense of urgency from the outset.

I don’t mind either line up tbh, would rather not have xhaka starting in defence though, so if that means playing saka there so be it, martinelli should start that way so it’s not all bad.

Agreed Pepe has to start.
Would be great if there was a way to fit esr in as well not as the false nine that would be nice too, he offers something, I think he’s been just as good as odegaard without all the hype.

Supposedly Tierney, Lacazette and even Luiz trained today - but highly unlikely they’re fit to play and maybe it’s just more mind games from Arteta talking up their chances.

So for me, I would go with something like:

Leno
Bellerin Chambers Gabriel Saka
Partey Xhaka
Pepe Odegaard Martinelli
Aubameyang

Saka at LB is contentious, and it’s been a long time since he’s played there. I would do it though, Xhaka can cover that area when he pushes forward. There was also a period late last season where Saka and Martinelli combined well together on the left side. And Arteta clearly doesn’t trust Cedric anymore after his fu** up v Slavia Prague, him not starting against Newcastle surely means he ain’t coming now.

However I also acknowledge the problems with that line up, being Pepe/Bellerin on the right. Even though I’d prefer Pepe on the left, have to squeeze him in somewhere as he has a very good record in the EL so far.

Arteta tends to play centre halves in pairs, so I’m not sure he’s going to go with an untried partnership.

So I reckon he’ll actually go with tomorrow morning:

Leno
Bellerin Holding Gabriel Xhaka
Partey Odegaard
Saka ESR Pepe
Aubameyang

I believe Odegaard has played a deeper CM role before and has the ability to do the job from there, certainly can do it better than Ceballos can (not saying much I know).

And can maybe save Martinelli for the final 25 minutes to come on for Aubameyang as he’s still working up his fitness from recovering from malaria.

For me I’d much prefer Martinelli starts, he makes sh*t happen and we’re trailing in the tie so need a sense of urgency from the outset.

I'd probably go with that line up also.

Well we will find out the starting 11 in a couple of hours and my confidence will go up or down accordingly

Scarily accurate. My trepidation is more about Arteta’s line up than the game itself. Sounds ridiculous to say but it’s baffling how he *s it up even when the obvious things are staring him down in the face.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t mind either line up tbh, would rather not have xhaka starting in defence though, so if that means playing saka there so be it, martinelli should start that way so it’s not all bad.

Agreed Pepe has to start.
Would be great if there was a way to fit esr in as well not as the false nine that would be nice too, he offers something, I think he’s been just as good as odegaard without all the hype.

Our back 4 last week was eaten alive for pace, surely we can’t go again with Xhaka and Chambers as fullbacks.

Aubameyang back, even at 90% as he said, is huge. Must get the set up around him correct. Despite his indifferent season, this is big time stuff now. It was around this stage last season where he was almost unplayable in the SF and Final of the FA Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back