News Update: Charles Cameron traded to Brisbane for Pick 12

Remove this Banner Ad

If we turn down #12 then the club would have officially lost its mind.

Crows wont turn down 12 for Cameron.

I get the feeling though that the Cameron deal will not take place until the possible Gibbs trade has concluded.

Cannot imagine us ever parting with pick 10 or 2018 1sts for him. If we have pick 12 though for Cameron, greedy SOS will want that instead of pick 16.

Looking fairly obvious now. We won't move on Cameron, unless a ready-made player (Gibbs) is coming back our way.

Not sure I agree with this, as Cameron's value will be far less at the end of 2018. But, if the club feels like it needs to make a statement, then so be it.

Depending who you believe about the Charlie Cameron Brisbane offer, and based on the Motlop deal, might be worth the gamble if the AFL is going to give us a bumper compensation pick in a strong draft

Crows wont turn down 12 for Cameron.

I get the feeling though that the Cameron deal will not take place until the possible Gibbs trade has concluded.

Cannot imagine us ever parting with pick 10 or 2018 1sts for him. If we have pick 12 though for Cameron, greedy SOS will want that instead of pick 16.

If that was the case and SOS wanted 12 then I would do it.

Depending who you believe about the Charlie Cameron Brisbane offer, and based on the Motlop deal, might be worth the gamble if the AFL is going to give us a bumper compensation pick in a strong draft

Cameron won't be a free agent next year so we won't get anything and if Brisbane finish bottom they will just take him with their pre-season draft pick.

Here’s an interesting one. If we lose Cameron and Sloane to FA next year, do they get combined for higher compensation or treated separately? Because surely together they would result in a Pick 1 if Sloane on his own didn’t already (or is maximum compensation directly after your own Round 1 pick?). I can’t help feeling that landing a couple of the gun SA kids next year will set us up for the next decade

If that was the case and SOS wanted 12 then I would do it.

true. if it was the difference between 12 and 16 then yes. But why offer 12 if you dont have it.

I think the Cameron deal may be done already but we are waiting for the Gibbs deal to unfold first.

Nice way to f**k SOS over.

Here’s an interesting one. If we lose Cameron and Sloane to FA next year, do they get combined for higher compensation or treated separately? Because surely together they would result in a Pick 1 if Sloane on his own didn’t already (or is maximum compensation directly after your own Round 1 pick?). I can’t help feeling that landing a couple of the gun SA kids next year will set us up for the next decade

Treated separately but it also depends on which FA if any we get as well.

Surely Carlton are looking at Schache, we're looking at Gibbs, and Brisbane are trying to facilitate the entire deal so they can have Cameron?

My presumption is they're all feverishly working on hashing this out, and everything else is smoke and mirrors.

Carlton could cash in Gibbs, land Schache, and buy Gibson off the free market to do the same job - teach & lead the kids

It's a no-brainer... so it should be right up SOS's alley ;)
Are you sure it would be up SOS's alley?

No GWS involvement in there would seem very out of character for him.

Free Agency Years (incorporating current contracts)

Atkins 2020
Betts 2021
Brown 2020
Cameron 2021
Cheney 2022
B.Crouch 2020
M.Crouch 2021
Davis 2024
Dear 2022
Doedee 2023
Douglas 2018
CEY 2019
Gallucci 2024
Greenwood 2023
Hampton 2023
Hartigan 2020
Himmelberg 2024
Jacobs 2019
Jenkins 2021
Keath 2023
Kelly 2021
Knight 2021
Laird 2019
Lynch 2019
Mackay 2018
McGovern 2022
Milera 2023
O'Brien 2022
Otten 2018
Poholke 2024
Seedsman 2023
Signorello 2024
Sloane 2018
Smith 2018

Talia 2021
Walker 2021

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Free Agency Years (incorporating current contracts)

Atkins 2020
Betts 2021
Brown 2020
Cameron 2021
Cheney 2022
B.Crouch 2020
M.Crouch 2021
Davis 2024
Dear 2022
Doedee 2023
Douglas 2018
CEY 2019
Gallucci 2024
Greenwood 2023
Hampton 2023
Hartigan 2020
Himmelberg 2024
Jacobs 2019
Jenkins 2021
Keath 2023
Kelly 2021
Knight 2021
Laird 2019
Lynch 2019
Mackay 2018
McGovern 2022
Milera 2023
O'Brien 2022
Otten 2018
Poholke 2024
Seedsman 2023
Signorello 2024
Sloane 2018
Smith 2018

Talia 2021
Walker 2021
Fmd has cey seriously been on the list for that long. What for like 2 or 3 games?

If we turn down #12 then the club would have officially lost its mind.
I don't think that would happen - us turning it down, that is!

My view is that 12 would well overs and a start the car moment. (And I don't think that's a very out there or controversial view!)

Brisbane are surely trying to make it 18/19 (or 20, whatever it is now) - which to me would be something we might reluctantly accept and probably fair enough too.

As for holding him to his contract - well, it's all been said, one way or another, in this thread. I'd rather take 18 now than play the game again at the end of next year, hoping that (1) he has a good/great season and maintains/increases his value, AND (2) his uncontracted vs contracted status doesn't offset that. IMO at his current level, and uncontracted, we'd be very lucky to get something like 18 for him next year.

As for his headspace / ability to contribute his best (and impact on the playing group) - who can say. I'd like to think the people inside the club have a better handle on that than we do. Away from the public faffing of his manager.

Makes me think - maybe every smart club should reserve a space on their list for "player who doesn't want to be with us" and not expect to get any value from that spot, except the value of not being taken for a ride by contracted players.

End of the day, whatever's going on in his head, I think Charlie has been - as I think Nikki said a while back - very badly advised/served by his manager and others around him.

That is not how it works.

I doubt you can combine the two and at best you can only get Band 1 compo. That pick comes after your pick in the first round.

If this was to happen we would get two picks after our first pick for these guys. Hopefully that would be picks 19 and 20.

Edit. In any case Cameron ain't a FA next year anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Drafted 2011. Debut in 2014 (ie third year on the list). 1 game in 2014, 11 in 2015, 2 in 2016, 0 in 2017, total 14.
So I would make it 7 years on the list, not the magic 8, at the end of 2018?

Doesn't time fly.

Not many other players in the AFL could claim a 7 year career for 14 games total.

Not many other players in the AFL could claim a 7 year career for 14 games total.
6 years in fact. Drafted in 2011, on the list 2012-2017.

14 is the lowest number of games played for any currently-listed AFL players (who were drafted prior to the 2012 season). Only Brendon Ah Chee (27 games) and Lincoln McCarthy (27 games) come close. There's a bloke at St. Kilda (Lewis Pierce) that takes the cake. He has played just 1 game since being drafted in 2012.

I don't think that would happen - us turning it down, that is!

My view is that 12 would well overs and a start the car moment. (And I don't think that's a very out there or controversial view!)

Brisbane are surely trying to make it 18/19 (or 20, whatever it is now) - which to me would be something we might reluctantly accept and probably fair enough too.

As for holding him to his contract - well, it's all been said, one way or another, in this thread. I'd rather take 18 now than play the game again at the end of next year, hoping that (1) he has a good/great season and maintains/increases his value, AND (2) his uncontracted vs contracted status doesn't offset that. IMO at his current level, and uncontracted, we'd be very lucky to get something like 18 for him next year.

As for his headspace / ability to contribute his best (and impact on the playing group) - who can say. I'd like to think the people inside the club have a better handle on that than we do. Away from the public faffing of his manager.

Makes me think - maybe every smart club should reserve a space on their list for "player who doesn't want to be with us" and not expect to get any value from that spot, except the value of not being taken for a ride by contracted players.

End of the day, whatever's going on in his head, I think Charlie has been - as I think Nikki said a while back - very badly advised/served by his manager and others around him.

Cam McCarthy sat out the last year of his contract yet was traded to Fremantle with pick 7 and lower order picks for pick 3.

Effectively a first round pick swap for a guy who sat out and at one stage never looked like playing again.

Sitting out a season might not necessarily devalue CC next year. His manager has indicated he won't sit out so I can't see him throwing in the towel week in week out.

He might indeed be freer and have less pressure on him knowing that he's guaranteed a move "home" rather than the uncertainty going into this season, and all the speculation, players he was close to (Eddie, JJ) making statements to the media about guarantees.

I'm quite excited by what he can produce if a trade doesn't get done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back