NFL Updates and All Things on Spygate

Remove this Banner Ad

Uh-oh. More Spygate uncovered. This might signal the end of Belichick as NE's coach.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/22/sports/football/22patriots.html?_r=1&ref=sports&oref=slogin

New Claim of Taping Emerges Against Patriots
INDIANAPOLIS — The Patriots’ pattern of illicitly videotaping the signals of opposing N.F.L. coaches began in Coach Bill Belichick’s first preseason with the team in 2000, a former Patriots player said. The information was put to use in that year’s regular-season opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Belichick’s debut as New England’s coach.
As coaches and executives gathered here Thursday for the N.F.L. scouting combine, many saying they were satisfied with the league’s investigation and ready to move on, new details were emerging about the history of the Patriots’ videotaping.
According to several executives in the league, the season opener against the Jets was not the first time the Patriots had been spotted taping another team’s defensive coaches at Giants Stadium. In the final preseason game of 2006, the Patriots were caught taping a Giants defensive assistant giving signals, the executives said.
The incident prompted a letter addressed to all teams seven days later from the N.F.L. vice president Ray Anderson that detailed the league’s interpretation of the rules. That letter was cited by Commissioner Roger Goodell when he punished the Patriots.
Belichick has said that he misinterpreted the league’s bylaws, telling Goodell that he thought it was permissible to use electronic equipment as long as the information was not used in the same game. That explanation has been greeted with disbelief by some peers and league officials.

Interesting piece by Peter King from SI. A lot hinging on those so-called Walsh tapes.

Over the weekend, I spoke with former Rams coach Mike Martz about the allegation that the Patriots videotaped St. Louis' walk through practice the day before Super Bowl XXXVI. He says the Ram practice that day consisted of the offense running its red-zone plays at half speed. I hear that Martz and other Ram people are privately talking much tougher, and I think it's possible, if there is tape of the walk through, the Rams may press the league to have the outcome of the game overturned.
It's crucial for the Patriots -- and for Belichick's future as a head coach in the league -- that Walsh not have a tape of that practice. All we can do is speculate on that right now, but I, for one, believe that tape does not exist. I believe it's more likely Walsh has some tapes of the Patriots videotaping opposing signals. That's not going to get the Patriots, or Belichick, in more trouble. The Pats have already been sanctioned for that.
But if that's all Walsh has, I'll tell you who's in trouble -- the Boston Herald. I'd be surprised if New England owner Bob Kraft doesn't sue the pants off the paper, which reported the Patriots videotaped the Rams' walk through the day before Super Bowl XXXVI, for damaging his brand if the story is not true. <<<<

Interesting piece by Peter King from SI. A lot hinging on those so-called Walsh tapes.Over the weekend, I spoke with former Rams coach Mike Martz about the allegation that the Patriots videotaped St. Louis' walk through practice the day before Super Bowl XXXVI. He says the Ram practice that day consisted of the offense running its red-zone plays at half speed. I hear that Martz and other Ram people are privately talking much tougher, and I think it's possible, if there is tape of the walk through, the Rams may press the league to have the outcome of the game overturned.
It's crucial for the Patriots -- and for Belichick's future as a head coach in the league -- that Walsh not have a tape of that practice. All we can do is speculate on that right now, but I, for one, believe that tape does not exist. I believe it's more likely Walsh has some tapes of the Patriots videotaping opposing signals. That's not going to get the Patriots, or Belichick, in more trouble. The Pats have already been sanctioned for that.
But if that's all Walsh has, I'll tell you who's in trouble -- the Boston Herald. I'd be surprised if New England owner Bob Kraft doesn't sue the pants off the paper, which reported the Patriots videotaped the Rams' walk through the day before Super Bowl XXXVI, for damaging his brand if the story is not true.

Did anyone see the Bob Kraft interview and special on him on MSNBC? The last part of what you highlighted is very important Barry because Kraft said there is a lot of facts not yet out on this matter from his and the patriot end and there is a reason smart folks like kraft dont talk about anything when it comes to these matters, its usually ones lawyers advise;).If the Boston Herald did do what I personally think they did, similar to what the NY Times did with Mcain story recently, if you keep up with us politics, is run a story without all the facts. Kraft wont sue their pants off he'll just own the Boston Herald if this come out to be the case and a great many folks may have red faces.I think people under estimate or cant see or understand what BB and Kraft are up to here. Many say they are hiding something, they sure are! Yet I doubt its what they think it is. They have yet to throw one punch in return for the hammering they have taken from countless teams players coaches media fans ect. It will be very interesting to see how this all unfolds.Unless walsh has some real evidence, its advantage BB all day long

Did you actually read that article, or did you just assume it would be positive for you guys?

Despite the spin, that article is in no way 'the end' of anything. Based upon that, Bellichek was cheating way back in 2004... the guy even speculates that he did indeed film superbowl walkthroughs.

If this turns out to be true, theres no way this is a non event, if other coaches knew or not.

Did you actually read that article, or did you just assume it would be positive for you guys?

Despite the spin, that article is in no way 'the end' of anything. Based upon that, Bellichek was cheating way back in 2004... the guy even speculates that he did indeed film superbowl walkthroughs.

If this turns out to be true, theres no way this is a non event, if other coaches knew or not.

Na I didn't bother reading it, I just threw it up there for you guys to read.... I should not even respond to such a stupid question but your obviously not ready to move on. So the majority of us will for you southerntakingover what? GG's spot? Na Only GG can continue to pout and get away with it for me.Were you not the one crying about not getting moss?according to you he's just a cheat why would you want him?

Na I didn't bother reading it, I just threw it up there for you guys to read.... I should not even respond to such a stupid question but your obviously not ready to move on. So the majority of us will for you southerntakingover what? GG's spot? Na Only GG can continue to pout and get away with it for me.Were you not the one crying about not getting moss?according to you he's just a cheat why would you want him?

Wow. I didnt know one person could write so much drivel.

'So the majority will for you southerntakingover what?'...

Uh... can someone translate for me?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

more cowbell greennick! anyhow here some background on your savior, patroits haters hiding under the "I hate cheats guise"

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba..._calculating_bitter/?p1=Well_MostPop_Emailed2

I love the way you dingbats have decided to assume that anyone who doesnt want this swept under the rug, and who would actually like to view any evidence available is fuelled by a deep seated patriots hate, and nothing else.

Id want this looked at if it were the colts, the bears, the giants, or the cowboys ffs. Its a legitimate issue, and your attempts to provide ad hominem attacks on the person who might have evidence makes you appear a slight bit desperate.

I love the way you dingbats have decided to assume that anyone who doesnt want this swept under the rug, and who would actually like to view any evidence available is fuelled by a deep seated patriots hate, and nothing else.

Id want this looked at if it were the colts, the bears, the giants, or the cowboys ffs. Its a legitimate issue, and your attempts to provide ad hominem attacks on the person who might have evidence makes you appear a slight bit desperate.

Nothing personal against patriot fans here, cos you know I like everyone's company and input....but I gotta agree with Southerntakeover here. Jealousy has nothing to do with it. Why would I be jealous of a team caught cheating, a team disgraced, asterisked, probably stripped of a title at least, had their HC fined $500k, their owner $250k, had millions of mocking youtube videos, photos and gifs created of their cheating? That makes no sense. It's not jealousy at all. And it's not hatred. I don't hate the Patriots for their asterisked success even. I do hate aspects of the biased NFL that rorts teams to favor teams like the Patriots, Colts, Cowboys, Packers. I dont hate those teams, just the NFL in those situations. The cheating is just embarrassing.

I do hate aspects of the biased NFL that rorts teams to favor teams like the Patriots, Colts, Cowboys, Packers. I dont hate those teams, just the NFL in those situations. The cheating is just embarrassing.

Hey GG, you left out the Steelers... ;) ie: SB XL First quarter shenanigans. :p

Well Said GG. The over-officiating and bizzare inconsistency is a JOKE. :thumbsdown:

Mangini hopes to reconcile with Belichick
Posted by Mike Florio on June 4, 2017, 9:45 PM EDT
78678737-e1496627095200.jpg
Getty Images
Bill Belichick shunned Eric Mangini ten years ago. Mangini still hopes to be un-shunned.

Mangini said Saturday during his annual football camp that he hopes for a reconciliation with his mentor.

I hope it’s something that can come back,” Mangini told Rich Cimini of ESPN. “Look, Bill is a big part of my life. Bill gave me a tremendous opportunity, and I enjoyed that experience, and I respect him. It’s disappointing, the way it’s been. Hopefully, it can change at some point.”

Although problems started when Mangini accepted an offer to become H.C. of the N.Y.J., the relationship became severed once the Jets instigated the Spygate scandal during Week One of the 2007 season.

“It was never supposed to go the way that it went,” Mangini said. “It was more about, ‘Hey, don’t do this here.’ It wasn’t about reporting it. Sometimes things get out of hand and get rolling in one direction. It was never, ever supposed to go that way.”

As the unofficial story goes, Mangini privately told Belichick not to record the Jets’ defensive coaching signals, since Mangini knew that Belichick had a habit of doing that. The theory is that then-G.M. Mike Tannenbaum caught wind of the practice and embarked on an effort to catch the Patriots with their camera in the cookie jar.

Mangini would later coach the Browns, and he has since worked as an assistant with the 49ers. Still 46, Mangini remains available. He recently joined PFT Live to promote the football camp, and to discuss a variety of NFL topics, including the importance of OTAs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back