Vale Darryl Sutton

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm too young to have seen him play but it's always a sad event when a Shinboner dies. Sounds like a ripping player who has died too soon and in sad circumstances. Lost my grandfather to a long battle with Alzheimer's at the end of last year so I know how hard it is on the family.
In his prime would easily waltz into this year's best 22

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

I was too young to have seen him play but always very sad when a North player passes away.

Rip Darryl.

Such Sad news Darryl was my favourite footballer in the early 70's at Glenorchy in Tasmania think he had two year at North in 73,74 and came back home in 75 before going back in 76 and establishing himself at North. RIP Darryl thanks for the great childhood memories, thoughts with his family friends and former teammates.

Last edited:

Don't remember a great deal of his play, but he is a premiership player which makes him a NMFC legend in my book.

My condolences to his family and friends.

RIP Mr Sutton

Be great if any video editing minded poster could compile a clip of him. Actually for the long term a highlights archive of the 70s premiership players would be really interesting.

Says me who has no idea how you'd produce this.
There's one that went up in the last couple of days titled (misspelled) "Daryl Sutton Champion Tasmanian Footballer", which I can't embed from work. Has footage from Glenorchy, North, Swan Districts and North Hobart.

Yeah, if the club wouldn't mind putting highlights together for Steve Easton and Graeme Melrose that would be nifty.

Very much a modern swingman player, before his time. Not overly big at 183cm, but had a great leap. I may stand corrected on this but I am pretty sure he kicked 9 goals in a game about 1979 against maybe St Kilda or Melbourne? Which stood until the 90s as one of the biggest hauls by a North man.

Very much a modern swingman player, before his time. Not overly big at 183cm, but had a great leap. I may stand corrected on this but I am pretty sure he kicked 9 goals in a game about 1979 against maybe St Kilda or Melbourne? Which stood until the 90s as one of the biggest hauls by a North man.
Kicked 9.2 against St.Kilda Round 11 1980.

RIP, way too young.

Along with Blighty he is one of the first players whose name I actually remember/knew.

Here's the video Rob zombie mentioned.

About 4 and a half minutes in Lou Richards calls him one of the most under rated players playing the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

missed this news given iam more of a lurke than a poster in the off season, champion and massive part of the team in the golden late 70s era.

Dazza may be gone but wont be forgotten, my respects to the family and his circle of friends.

what made him a really important player, was that he did the basics very well. Was a great mark for his size, very mobile and a beautiful kick, either coming out of defence or shooting for goal. Not sure who i'd liken him to in the current crop, but i always thought that Darren Crocker and he played a similar brand of footy and had very similar traits. RIP Daryl.

what made him a really important player, was that he did the basics very well. Was a great mark for his size, very mobile and a beautiful kick, either coming out of defence or shooting for goal. Not sure who i'd liken him to in the current crop, but i always thought that Darren Crocker and he played a similar brand of footy and had very similar traits. RIP Daryl.
Sutton was indeed a versatile player, up front or up he back. I remember him well. Bit like STephen Icke. ANyone remember him?
On the subject of deceased players , including Sutton & Mick Nolan, have any other 70;s players passed away?

Jmac maybe?

Sutton was indeed a versatile player, up front or up he back. I remember him well. Bit like STephen Icke. ANyone remember him?
On the subject of deceased players , including Sutton & Mick Nolan, have any other 70;s players passed away?
Sutton and Nolan, the only Premiership players to have passed

Jmac maybe?

I reckon that's probably not tooooooo far from the mark, but my memory of Sutton is that he was a little more skilled and a smoother mover that JMac. And obviously, spent more time pinch-hitting Forward.

Real stalwart player of his time - smart, reliable, courageous, and talented - and news of his passing at a relatively young age is very sad for any North fan, but particularly for those of us who were lucky enough to see him go around in our colours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back