Toast Vale Robert Flower (1955 - 2014, 272 games, Captain, HoF member, Legend)

Remove this Banner Ad

Condolences to his family, friends, and all Melbourne Football Club people. :(

Met his son in a Maccas playground one day, said his Dad played for the Dees, my Dad just about shat himself with glee when he saw it was Robbie. Utter gun of guns, big loss for the club. RIP.

Deepest Condolences to all that knew the great Tulip.

Was such a great pleasure to see him running the wings at the MCG and one of the truly nice people of the world.

The world just got a little darker today with the passing of Robert

Vale Robbie Flower taken way way too soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Such sad news. I started following Fitzroy in 1976 & I soon came to admire the great talent that Robbie was. He glided across that MCG wing like a god. Such a humble & unassuming champion too. Very sad to hear the news. You would go to the footy in the 70's alone to watch champs like Garry Wilson & Robert Flower.

In 1980 my dad took me to see Richmond play Melbourne. I was 10 years old. Big Carl Ditterich was your captain coach and I recall dad pointing out to make note of him as it may be the final time I ever saw him play. However, he then pointed out Robbie Flower and told me that this player would one day win a Brownlow. For several years afterwards I would see Flower on World of Sport each Sunday seeming winning play of the day, and sometimes goal or mark of the day. Often he was the guest and a more modest, humble man you were unlikely to see. He was a sublime player and a lovely, lovely man.

My dad passed away a few years back and remembering those comments of his have brought tears to my eyes. The wonderful, sad memories of childhood. My condolences to Flower's family, the club and its fans. You have lost a legendary player and a wonderful man.

Condolences to the Melbourne family.

As great as the Hawks were back in the 80's, I still have distinct memories of Robbie ripping us a new one as he floated down the wings at the G. Sublime skills and a quality football person.

RIP Robbie, was a pleasure watching you.

Doug Hawkins on Sen paying tribute to Robbie Flower saying that only last Tuesday at the Carbine Club function both Robbie and He were inducted as legends , and that Robbie was catching up with all of the footy mates.

The Carbine Club Legends.

Posted by webweaver on Sep 24, 2014 in News | No Comments
Today the Carbine Club inducted two new legends – Demon immortal Robbie Flower and the Bulldogs favourite son Doug Hawkins. (Although I only liked him when he played for the lions;) Gods of the wing! Humbler, nicer blokes you wouldn’t meet. These are this year’s caricatures. I like to caricature them as they are today. They’d have plenty of pics from the playing days I’d suggest, and it’s fun for me now their heads are a little more lived in! H.

http://www.harv.com.au/the-carbine-club-legends

Remove this Banner Ad

Back