Toast Vale Shane Warne (1969 - 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Still in shock 5 hours on. What a player both on and off the field. I actually have a picture with him holding my daughter who was 10 days old at the save out saints day. Always meant to get him to sign it. Now it will never happen. Even last night a few of us were commenting on the picture not knowing 2 hours later he would have passed away.

As a chubby blonde spin-bowling Saints-supporting kid, he was unquestionably my hero.

I’m absolutely devastated, as I’m sure so many are.

Gone far FAR too young.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m in shock. Finally buried my dad today and then lose marsh and Warnie. Got some bad wraps but was a really genuine guy. Sat next to him when barks had the memorial against the hawks. Been a shocking few weeks.

I never knew him but used to see him at events and around town. He was more like a rock star than cricketer, people would stare at him like Mick Jagger was in the room. He was everything Aussies love, a larrikin, a bit of a stud, a rebel and an elite at his craft but acted like he didn't even know where it came from.

Probably our greatest advocate and a massive loss to the Saints family, really amplified by the loss of Gudinski last year. A really sad day.

One of the great advocates for the Saints. It always humoured me how he could turn an international cricket broadcast into a conversation about his beloved Saints, but I spose he was the King of Spin afterall...

Vale Shane. Gone far too young.

All time favourite cricketer.

So many great memories of him playing while I was growing up.

He had a great knowledge if the game as well.

Bloody sad news
I remember watching his 'ball of the century' on TV - his Gatting wicket in 1993 - his first test ball in England. I'd never heard of him before the match; he looked like he was straight off an Aussie beach: young, chubby, spiky blond hair, big smile; then he bowled that first ball and the rest is history. Leg spin was almost extinct when Warne started his career, and he single-handed brought it back into cricket. It's a damn shame.

This was awful news to wake up to. My only cricket skill is the decent wrongun I can bowl because I used to pretend I was Warnie in the hallway with a tennis ball lol. An icon of sport, and quite frankly an Australian icon.
I know it wasn't to everyones taste, but I really enjoyed his commentary too. Far too young.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back