VAR Thread

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Why is VAR in the PL not referring poor challenges to a review by the main referee?

I believe Sissoko would have got his marching orders if the referee reviewed a replay of it. Also a Leicester playee latee in the game stamped a Spurs player (cannot remember who it was) - yellow only given. For me another red. Why not ask the ref to look at the replay?

It happens quite often in A League.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
I didn't even think Sissoko should have got a yellow, got all ball and didn't seem overly reckless to me, just a strong challenge.

You cant challenge with 2 feet and studs showing regardless of whether you get the ball or not. Its not like he slipped and did it inadvertently. Red every time for me, could have done serious damage if he collected his opponent.

You cant challenge with 2 feet and studs showing regardless of whether you get the ball or not. Its not like he slipped and did it inadvertently. Red every time for me, could have done serious damage if he collected his opponent.
If it's the one I'm thinking off he slipped and didn't go in studs up.

At first it looked bad, but on replay it was just one of those things.

Why is VAR in the PL not referring poor challenges to a review by the main referee?

I believe Sissoko would have got his marching orders if the referee reviewed a replay of it. Also a Leicester playee latee in the game stamped a Spurs player (cannot remember who it was) - yellow only given. For me another red. Why not ask the ref to look at the replay?

It happens quite often in A League.
Mike Riley fought against pitch side monitors.

It was forced on him by FIFA but I reckon refs are under instruction not to use them.

Riley reckons it slows the game down.

I'd much rather slow the game down and have the right decision made by the ref rather than some random in Stockley or wherever it is with who knows looking over his shoulder giving instructions.

So VAR can decide that Son was 1.6cm offside with imprecise frames, and what former ref Clattenburg in a column defending the decision said we have to accept is the best technology we have now. Inferring it’s sub standard in the process.

Yet VAR cannot chalk off this goal for the attacking player being in a prohibited space within 1m of the wall under new free kick rules.

Why was the lino getting his flag up before the ball went in for the Auba goal this morning? Hes really lucky the whistle didnt go and VAR saved him. I understand that all linos have beeb told to keep the flag down unless a goal is scored.

Didn't you literally just argue against me about this in another thread?

They need to mic up the VAR ref. See exactly why decisions are being made the way they are.

Stuff like that, there's probably a simple explanation for. But if you don't let people know what's going on they'll jump to conclusions.

Can’t remember which pundit, but someone pointed out in the last few weeks it appears they have wanted the VAR to be relied on a lot more. That’s why in 2 game weeks there have been a few lengthy reviews, where if they weren’t an obvious error there would be a decision within seconds

It’s a joke

LFC2010

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 28, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Boston Celtics
So what's the script here? Is Atkinson doing his best to make sure it's offside as to make sure in not wanting to overrule the linesman? Is VAR working? Thoughts?

1st drawing of the line shows onside.
View attachment 773755

Redrew the line a second time giving it offside
View attachment 773756

Match fixing from Atkinson!!. plain and simple.

What's next, will we have someone draw 4 different until it suits personal agenda's?

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool

Not a bad point. Yet another example of Atkinson’s incompetence in using the technology today.

Atkinson’s incompetence showed again this morning when the Everton vs Spurs game spiralled out of control with him in charge. Controversy from poor officiating leads to emotional reactions from both players and fans.

Kompany

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I can't get over these ridiculous offside calls. It's not VAR. The whole way of managing the offside rule should be looked into.

As for VAR itself, I saw 2 inexplicable decisions this weekend. In Frankfurt v Bayern a Frankfurt player was fouled inside the box, but fell outside. Clearly a penalty, yet the VAR people asked the ref to come have a look himself. Why do they need the ref to come to the sideline for a 100% clear in or out decision?

But the worst one was in Sevilla-Atletico. At 1-1, in injury time, I think Morata shoots and a Sevilla defender prevents the ball from going in by touching the ball with his arm twice, before he then blocks the ball between his legs and sits on top of it, right in front of the goal line. Morata then tries to do a Hazard with the ball kid and gets a free kick against him. Ridiculous decision by the ref but no idea why VAR didn't award the penalty. The only thing I can think of is that they were afraid of the home fans, after VAR had awarded Atletico a penalty already (which was a correct decision).

archiemoses

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Surely it can be fixed that all offside decisions that are not clear and obvious fall to the advantage of the attacking team

Before there would be 50/50 calls and VAR backed the ref. Now it feels like there are some clear cut calls that are wrong.

Matip not getting a pen for being held in the box, fine I’ll consider that 50/50
Napoli getting a pen for diving over Robbo, fine I’ll consider that 50/50.

That was earlier in the season

Recently
Alli’s goal that came off his bicep (vs Watford?) should have been disallowed.
Origi being fouled before United’s goal (player didn’t actually win the ball) should have been called back.
Villa shouldn’t have had a goal disallowed the other week. There was minimal contact on the keeper and didn’t effect the goal.
Firminos onside goal with shonky offside lines is pretty dodgy.
A clear handball in the box with arms and hands out not paid as a pen to Liverpool as well.

My point is something has changed recently in the way they are approaching this.

Side note: VAR if available almost certainly would have ruled out an offside Arsenal goal in the league cup game vs Liverpool too. So we can’t completely scrap it in the league because clear offside goals need to absolutely be ruled out. We can’t go back to offside goals being ticked off, then a replay is shown that it’s offside but it’s still a goal and everyone argues about it.

Back