News Varcoe to return

Remove this Banner Ad

He's been able to run for most of his rehab i'm guessing, just no contact, so straight on a wing i say.

He's been able to run for most of his rehab i'm guessing, just no contact, so straight on a wing i say.
Really hoping/praying his shoulder doesn't get unfairly tested out. He is the ONE player I look forward to watching in this current team. But not sure he needs to be rushed back in for a test against the Saints.

Really hoping/praying his shoulder doesn't get unfairly tested out. He is the ONE player I look forward to watching in this current team. But not sure he needs to be rushed back in for a test against the Saints.

I think they can use this week as a test, only need to play him for half a game even, maybe a few stints on the ball, but ease him back in through the forward line.

I think they can use this week as a test, only need to play him for half a game even, maybe a few stints on the ball, but ease him back in through the forward line.

It's very simple. If he's fit - as in 100% fit - he plays. If he isn't, he doesn't. No different to Mooney, or Ling, or Chappy, or anyone else on the list.

When in doubt about their fitness, they don't play. It's remarkable how frequently football clubs forget this.

It's very simple. If he's fit - as in 100% fit - he plays. If he isn't, he doesn't. No different to Mooney, or Ling, or Chappy, or anyone else on the list.

When in doubt about their fitness, they don't play. It's remarkable how frequently football clubs forget this.

It's remarkable how frequently OUR club forgets it.

Let's hope the lessons of the past have been learned.

The principle of all players being 100% is a sound one. However, the fact is it's extremely rare for an elite team to field a side with every player 100%. Some carry injuries better than others. We hear about the minority who fail when not 100% but rarely those who perform to a reasonable level carrying a niggle or two.

If you know a class player is carrying an injury that won't impede him to a significant degree and it's the type of injury that will allow him to complete the game it's then a question of whether playing a key player at 90% is better value than player a much lesser player at 100%. It's a question faced by selection panels at the elite level almost on a weekly basis.

We hear about those who fail but not the ones who carry niggles but fire well enough to make a worthwhile contribution. Hodge played injured most of last year which lowered his capacity but he still performed at a high enough level to warrant selection. It's not black and white.

The principle of all players being 100% is a sound one. However, the fact is it's extremely rare for an elite team to field a side with every player 100%. Some carry injuries better than others. We hear about the minority who fail when not 100% but rarely those who perform to a reasonable level carrying a niggle or two.

If you know a class player is carrying an injury that won't impede him to a significant degree and it's the type of injury that will allow him to complete the game it's then a question of whether playing a key player at 90% is better value than player a much lesser player at 100%. It's a question faced by selection panels at the elite level almost on a weekly basis.

We hear about those who fail but not the ones who carry niggles but fire well enough to make a worthwhile contribution. Hodge played injured most of last year which lowered his capacity but he still performed at a high enough level to warrant selection. It's not black and white.

Best post of 2011 so far:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Getting depressed by all this crap.

The GFC must adhere to this, or else!!
Must play with complete intent all year. Nothing short of playing at a higher level than every other club over the entire time frame of 2260 minutes is acceptable.
All players and staff (right down to the physio) must be 100% fit. Every player must have the defensive pressure of a titan. All people over 190cm must play a role like pavlich.

Certain people have lost the plot.
Maybe when robots play footy you'll get your wish.

Sarcasm emoticon needed there VC? ha ha

Great post re: players carrying niggles. It is very rare to have players 100% at all times. Comes down to player management and the ability to see the bigger picture. Kurt Tippet spoke about this a while back on the radio over here in Adelaide though he's no Rhodes scholar so take it how you will.

Paul Chapman comes to mind re: players running out with injuries. Kicked a bag against the Crows in 2009 with no hamstrings. On the flipside though his hamstrings definitely lead to his poor GF in 2008 so it's the risk you sonetimes have to take with great players. Scarlo is another one that always seems to be carrying a niggle but rises above it most of the time

Was speaking to Travis last night, as far as he is concerened he is right to go. Bigger injury concerns are Ling (hammy), Mooney (calf?), Motlop (still on crutches) and Ottens (fate dictates he will come-a-cropper in some bizarre fashion in the next few weeks)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It needed the Partridge emoticon.
The guy has morphed into a cross breed of meto and charlie sheen

Stop saying these things VC, you're making me blush. :D

I think all anyone is asking is a consistent professionalism to the approach. Personally I think it's quite likely that the side may drop a little, but that can happen when older players are slowly replaced by younger ones. All we're saying is if Varcoe is clearly questionable for Round 1, he sits it out for another week. Don't see what's so heinous about that.

By comparison, if say Pods' hand is a little sore, but he can still mark and handpass without hindrance, then it's his call. Common sense.

I'm with you on Varcoe for round one.
I don't see how we can win that game. Unless of course St Kilda's form last week was true form.

The more I think about how we will play this year the more I think of the impact of Gaz leaving. We need someone who is evasive and creative to be getting the ball 25 times.

It may have to be Travis. In fact I think it has to be him. He has to step up and fill some huge shoes. So we can't risk him early.

I'm with you on Varcoe for round one.
I don't see how we can win that game. Unless of course St Kilda's form last week was true form.

It is just about impossible to gain any insight from our NAB Cup exit, we simply had far too many regular players out. But, I'm convinced we have to take them on and move the ball quickly. We won't beat St.Kilda playing statically, they're too well drilled.

It's a good thing, the onus is on younger guys like Varcoe (if he plays), even Duncan, especially Hawkins, to step up and take responsibility.

spot on:thumbsu: we have usually had a great midfield that watches over these lighter built players and hopefully they keep an eye out for any cheap tactics made by opposition players. I think St Kilda will try and test it out if given a chance so best to be certain it's 100% right going in

Was speaking to Travis last night, as far as he is concerened he is right to go. Bigger injury concerns are Ling (hammy), Mooney (calf?), Motlop (still on crutches) and Ottens (fate dictates he will come-a-cropper in some bizarre fashion in the next few weeks)

Great to hear. How did the season launch go?

spot on:thumbsu: we have usually had a great midfield that watches over these lighter built players and hopefully they keep an eye out for any cheap tactics made by opposition players. I think St Kilda will try and test it out if given a chance so best to be certain it's 100% right going in

Um dear say most on here would have loved Rooke to have tested out Hodges ribs early in the 2008 Granny,not sure thats cheap tactics just footy.

Solomon on Ling a couple of years back was cheap tactics in my book,disgraceful stuff,

What about Corey and Chapman?

Varcoe has been named:

http://www.gfc.com.au/geelongnews/newsarticle/tabid/3933/newsid/109089/default.aspx
Geelong’s squad to face Carlton.

Jimmy Bartel, Mitch Brown, Allen Christensen, Joel Corey, Josh Cowan, Mitch Duncan, Corey Enright, Cameron Guthrie, Tom Hawkins, Josh Hunt, Taylor Hunt, Steve Johnson, James Kelly, Tom Lonergan, Andrew Mackie, Dan Menzel, Darren Milburn, Cameron Mooney, Brad Ottens, Matthew Scarlett, Jordan Schroder, Joel Selwood, Jonathan Simpkin, Dawson Simpson, Mathew Stokes, Harry Taylor, Travis Varcoe, Nathan Vardy, Trent West.
http://www.gfc.com.au/geelongnews/newsarticle/tabid/3933/newsid/109089/default.aspx

Remove this Banner Ad

Back