Portfolio VFA/VFL Jumpers

Remove this Banner Ad

Coburg won't play in Craigieburn, because Craigieburn is a Richmond facility. Richmond will split games between Craigieburn and Punt Road.

Essendon won't align after going to the trouble of splitting with Bendigo. And it will be a revival of a trophy Essendon and Coburg used to compete for, the Moreland-Moonee Valley Cup.

Essendon won't align after going to the trouble of splitting with Bendigo. And it will be a revival of a trophy Essendon and Coburg used to compete for, the Moreland-Moonee Valley Cup.

What I said was a situation like Preston and Carlton have, which is more of a takeover of Preston by Carlton. A financially weak Coburg would easy for Essendon to take over and to reduce the cost for Essendon to enter a VFL side. The club would be Coburg in name only, but would really be the Essendon reserves. The good thing for Coburg is that their clubs name and the history of the club will continue on. They can do this and have a club in the VAFA like Preston does.

Added a new Geelong West picture

and have created an Albert Park picture for the first time
Picture has been updated further. See Page 1 for current picture.

What I said was a situation like Preston and Carlton have, which is more of a takeover of Preston by Carlton.

Which, in my opinion, was an ultimate dog act and should never have occurred.

Here's how the alignments should have worked from the beginning:

Collingwood - Preston (historic link)
W.Bulldogs - Williamstown (historic link)
St Kilda - Sandringham (historic link)
Melbourne - Port Melbourne
North Melbourne - Coburg
Richmond - Werribee (Tigers)
Hawthorn - Box Hill
Geelong - North Ballarat
Essendon - Frankston
Carlton - Springvale/Casey

Essendon and Carlton have the less obvious links but they're there... it's more to satisfy the other requirements higher up the list. In theory, Geelong, Essendon and Carlton could have gone it alone, and the other alignments would have worked. Preston/Collingwood partnership would have been far smoother and I feel the Magpies would have respected the Bullants history far more. And I aligned Richmond with Werribee purely so that the Tigers would still be the Tigers in the reserves. Werribee could have aligned with Geelong otherwise.

Alignments should be purely that: players go to the VFL club and play for them, the AFL guernsey numbers shouldn't dominate the VFL club's list of numbers (e.g. if a player wears #10 for Melbourne then he shouldn't automatically have #10 for Port Melb). AFL club strip shouldn't be worn unless there's a dire need (e.g. as a clash strip). VFL club identity to be preserved above all else. And from what I've seen, fans embrace the VFL teams warmly, appreciating the history of the old VFA, the suburban grounds and how close you get to the players, etc. The AFL clubs have no idea what happens in the real world.

Essendon carlton & geelong did go
It alone in 2000. So did richmond. I wish clubs just aligined with 1 club & stayed but thats just too easy lol

In theory, Geelong, Essendon and Carlton could have gone it alone
Essendon carlton & geelong did go It alone in 2000. So did richmond. I wish clubs just aligined with 1 club & stayed but thats just too easy lol
Yes, I'm well aware of who did what - I'm saying, if it was way back in the summer of 1999-2000 and alignments were being forged, then the teams I suggested would have... ah forget it, why does nobody take comments in context?

I read everything & understood it. The vfl & afl sadly couldnt give a rats tossbag about historical links. They have changed rules venues in the afl. the vfl was called a feeder club, i find it dissapointing there was 20 or 21 vfl clubs in 2000 thats way to
Many. At boxhill bendigo sandy willly in face all vfl clubs the afl players wear normally numbers ranging from 1-99 with the vast majority being 50+

I love the vfl, but i sadly Its going to get gobbled up.
All i ask is this from the afl. Play 1 curtin raiser each week on a sunday afternoon at the g or etihad. So simple regardless of who is playing. If stkilda play brissy play sandy v frankston.

The afl ticket prices have went up at a guess 50% scince 1999 when 2's played yet now you only get to watch 1 game.

If there was 2 games on the afl would actually get more though the gate for the less popular games for the fact people would come to watch 2 games

The AFL have got the money to save the VFL for sure. Get the comp back up on its legs, and introduce AFL Reserves to play as a curtain raiser, or alternatively if fat man Demetriou doesn't want AFL Reserves, take West_Coast_Eagles 's idea. The only issue with the VFL curtain raiser, is that yes, it will get more exposure, but home games in local communities would be dragged into the city. There aren't many hardcore supporters at a VFL club. I went to Sandringham vs Werribee at Trevor Barker oval on a Sunday afternoon. About 30 Werribee supporters turned up, excluding club trainers, officials etc. Then later on in the VFL season I went to Werribee vs North Ballarat at Avalon Airport Oval, and bugger all Sandy supporters turned up.

In the contrary take the VFL Grand Final for example. Decent crowd, cheap tickets. If the AFL had different ticket prices at different times, to encourage people to get in earlier for cheaper, then so be it. It will force exposure to the curtain raiser and may generate more support for AFL and/or VFL clubs.

For example:
Etihad Stadium Sunday
Gates open at 10:30am, bars open at 11:00am.
11:30am bounce, Sandringham vs Werribee.
2:10pm bounce, North Melbourne vs Richmond.

Prices would be for the day.
Age 10:30am-11:59am* 12:00pm-1:29pm* 1:30pm-3:14pm* 3:15pm onwards
0-4 years Free Free $2:50 Free
5-12 years $2.50 $5.50 $15.00 Free
13-18 years $5.00 $5.50 $18.00 Free
19-55 years $6.00 $7.00 $22.00 Free
Seniors Free Free $10.00 Free

*For free entry, a ticket must be collected from a ticket box.

I feel that this way, more people will go to the AFL and/or VFL games, giving VFL more exposure.

I went to Sandringham vs Werribee at Trevor Barker oval on a Sunday afternoon. About 30 Werribee supporters turned up, excluding club trainers, officials etc. Then later on in the VFL season I went to Werribee vs North Ballarat at Avalon Airport Oval, and bugger all Sandy supporters turned up.

I dont reckon many sandy supporters would go to a north ballarat v werribe game in werriee ;) But i get what you ment.

What you said is correct prices is a important factor

I dont reckon many sandy supporters would go to a north ballarat v werribe game in werriee ;) But i get what you ment.

What you said is correct prices is a important factor
Haha its actually quite funny the mistake I made ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The loss of the curtain raiser match is criminal. You could turn up at the ground early, get a good seat and something to watch. But instead we get some manufactured "pre game hosted entertainment tripe", and some other eyewash about how the surface of the ground needs to be protected for OH&S reasons. Common sense died off...

Its ******* stupid! At least 1 game a week should be curtin raiser. Mcg on a sunday would be logical. Gives the grass a mininum of 5 days to recover

If you want to watch a curtin raise you know where to go! Box hill over trevir barker oval coburg city oval ;-)

Kardinia Park is the only venue with VFL games as curtain raisers now. York Park used to have them when the Devils were in the league.
In 2012, there was a Foxtel Cup game played at 11:00 at the MCG... with the senior game (Richmond v Sydney) not starting until 4:40 PM. Not sure why the big delay.

Of course, prior to ground sharing, the VFL reserves fixture used to be the reverse of the seniors fixture. So for example: (am picking randomly here)

SENIORS
Footscray v Melbourne at Western Oval
Essendon v Fitzroy at Windy Hill
St Kilda v Collingwood at Moorabbin
Richmond v Geelong at Punt Road
Carlton v North Melbourne at Princes Park
Hawthorn v South Melbourne at Glenferrie Oval

RESERVES would be
Melbourne v Footscray at MCG
Fitzroy v Essendon at Brunswick Street
Collingwood v St Kilda at Victoria Park
Geelong v Richmond at Kardinia Park
North Melbourne v Carlton at Arden Street
South Melbourne v Hawthorn at Lake Oval

Of course the above seniors fixture wouldn't happen, because St Kilda moved to Moorabbin the same year Richmond moved to the MCG ;) And that same year, North Melbourne played home games at Coburg... (1965 was the year)

My suggestion for the VFA to revive:
EXPANSION. Needs to become two divisions, 10 teams so it fits in a 20-week season. (10 teams playing each other twice = 18 weeks)
Divisions should be geographic so that travel doesn't become an issue.
Teams need to be suburban - representing municipalities at most. Some concepts work, some don't, it is trial and error.
Need to stick with the plan for 5 years, no dropouts due to folding - prop up the clubs and make it work for at least those 5 years.

Added a new Geelong West picture

and have created an Albert Park picture for the first time
Albert Park played in an era before Black - Home, White - Away.
They wore Blue pants, which from what I can tell, where similar to dark blue jeans in colour.
And the pants would have come down to cover the players knees.
South-Uniform-1880.gif

Albert Park played in an era before Black - Home, White - Away.
They wore Blue pants, which from what I can tell, where similar to dark blue jeans in colour.
And the pants would have come down to cover the players knees.
South-Uniform-1880.gif

Have changed the Albert Park picture to match your information.
Picture has been updated further. See Page 1 for current picture.

Was there a year that the black home and white away wearing of shorts started? Was there a year when players shorts became shorter and shorter? From below the knee, to just above the knee, to where they are today.

Have changed the Albert Park picture to match your information.

Was there a year that the black home and white away wearing of shorts started? Was there a year when players shorts became shorter and shorter? From below the knee, to just above the knee, to where they are today.
Dark shorts for Home and White for Away came into force in the VFL in 1921.
Most clubs wore Black and White, though Richmond, for some reason wore Blue.
In 1929 the VFL changed it to Black at Home and White Away.
Most other leagues changed around the same time.
As for the length of shorts, Hayden Bunton was criticised in his day for wearing shorts that were too high.
From the start of footy in the 1850s to about 1900 players wore pants.
These finished at or just below the knee.
By the 1900s players had adopted pants that finished just over the knee.
Carlton for example seemed to change from the longer blue pants over the knee to white pants above the knee between 1904 and 1906
http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-browse_gallery.php?galleryId=1
(some not all; you'll see pics of players wearing knickerbockers that finish over the knee later as well)
So I used 1900 as a cutoff for pants, and from the 1930s where they went to the longer shorts.
The 1970s and early 80s had shorts even shorter, but the 90s saw a return to the more comfortable/longer shorts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back