VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Foster’s done some good things today. Definitely has the tools and a footy brain.
I agree…that is what I find a little frustrating in terms what looks like a lack of competitiveness. Having said that it is normally a hard forward line to play in (although today the ball movement has been better)….again Phoenix is young, has some skills so I just hope he gets better every week

I agree…that is what I find a little frustrating in terms what looks like a lack of competitiveness. Having said that it is normally a hard forward line to play in (although today the ball movement has been better)….again Phoenix is young, has some skills so I just hope he gets better every week

He’s also played fairly high up the field, which is a tough role.

Hardie, Humphries, Knevitt, Wiltshire - there’s plenty of class, just not depth nor experience.
Knevitt will have a Zuthrie esque trajectory IMO.

Promising early, then for some reason everyone gives up on him...and then he comes good in year 4-5.

It's just size for him. He's an inside mid who can't play there at AFL level.

I think we have rate class a tad differently.

Humphries has something though… although most of his touches have been for kick outs.
In fairness, Dempsey is a freak.

Outside of the Suns, there wouldn't be many state league sides who have a player as talented as him running around.

It's the state leagues for a reason. It's developing kids and spuds working a 9-5 for the most part.

we have stopped dead.

No ability to run it out and losing all the 50/50 contests killing us.

GO Catters

Well, Werribee (last week) and Box Hill finished 2nd and 3rd last year.

More than often, last year we were getting smashed by about 50 points or winning the occasional close one; the last time we really fell away from a winnable position was round 16 last year against North, when the last quarter collapse mirrored this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardie, Humphries, Knevitt, Wiltshire - there’s plenty of class, just not depth nor experience.
Humphries and Wiltshire are late-draft picks who haven't been on an AFL list for even six months, that doesn't count as class by VFL standards. I mean, Wiltshire's last season was at Barwon Heads - let's not get silly.

Make no mistake, what really helps you at VFL level is those guys who have already had a number of years in the system - the likes of Finn Maginess, Conway, Parfitt, Callum Brown, Gunston, Reeves, Parfitt, Mannagh etc.

Humphries doesn’t seem to have a preferred leg in play.

If he is running to the right side of the ground… He kicks right.

If he is running to the left side of the ground… He kicks left.

Maybe he goes right a bit more from kick outs, but in general play after watching him a bit I really got no idea.

Two contrasting teams atm.
Box Hill with players who could easily get a game next week.

Whereas we have some players who one day could be AFL ready but hardly any who could play next week.

The standard of the Geelong local leagues to provide experienced top up talent is lacking compared to other clubs and it shows in games like today when a young AFL core gets overrun.

Humphries and Wiltshire are late-draft picks who haven't been on an AFL list for even six months, that doesn't count as class by VFL standards. I mean, Wiltshire's last season was at Barwon Heads - let's not get silly.

Make no mistake, what really helps you at VFL level is those guys who have already had a number of years in the system - the likes of Finn Maginess, Conway, Parfitt, Callum Brown, Gunston, Reeves, Parfitt, Mannagh etc.

What you’re referring to is experience. Like I said, we have class, just not experience.

I don’t think anyone would describe Parfitt as classy, yet you named him… twice!

What you’re referring to is experience. Like I said, we have class, just not experience.
Class absolutely comes with experience. It's not some innate thing that you're born with and don't develop; it comes with time, repetition, practice, confidence, and not being completely exhausted.

Ed: Corey Enright is a great example, so is Tom Hawkins. Neither were particularly classy footballers when they first started out; Enright was a hard-at-it ruck rover type, Hawkins looked like little boy lost at times, both with and without the footy. By the back end of their careers, they are regarded as having 'footy smarts' coming out of their (in Tom's case, enormous) ears.

Last edited:
Knevitt 16 touches last week.
Knevitt 16 touches this week.

Was hoping for more at this level to be honest coming into his 4th season.
Stats are meaningless. He was clearly one of our best and looked a class above. I wouldn't say he bashed the door down but he made a case for selection and he's ready if we need him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back