Game Day VFL Round 15 - Brisbane vs Richmond at Brighton Homes Arena

Remove this Banner Ad

Just because he played less than half a season as a forward prior to drafting him doesn’t mean he is a forward or plays he best football as a forward. In fact, prior and post his drafting he played his best football as a backman and it would have been that form that caught the eye of our recruiters. Why are people so short sighted?

really he came as a forward and as for short sighted I had both of my eyes replaced and don’t wear glasses anymore , can you show where the club said he was a defender, or it doesn’t suit your agenda

Jacob Bauer​

Per Knightmare (espn)

Former Sydney Academy prospect Jacob Bauer has been one of the breakout players in 2022 and has developed rapidly over the past 12 months. Kicking 15 goals and taking 10 contested marks in his five SANFL league games, Bauer has been influential as a medium marking forward and hasn't needed a lot of the ball to influence games heavily. A strong aerial marking threat and natural reader of the ball in flight, Bauer has the scope to be a marking force at either end of the field.

Play both Jack and ahem Bauer. Could have this KPF issue sorted out in 24 hours
I See You Hunks GIF by giphystudios2021

Loser mentality.
What's the loser mentality playing your kids to get experience and finding a few who could push for 22 like we did Ryan ,Young etc or playing the same players and getting the same results I'm not saying drop have the side get balance right more for the future.

Just because he played less than half a season as a forward prior to drafting him doesn’t mean he is a forward or plays he best football as a forward. In fact, prior and post his drafting he played his best football as a backman and it would have been that form that caught the eye of our recruiters. Why are people so short sighted?
not sure what your talking about or have seen but the kid was a promising forward before we got him and his efforts in that role in the SANFL is what got him picked up. Nothing in his bio or anything the club released when they drafted him suggested otherwise either

Bow wow looks more your mid sized rather than true KPF size these days, but a good mark and kick, get him in.
Looks like a Jack Lukosious to me
Potential is huge, a genuine gun footballer imo with an elite attitude and plan of attack

I’d buy all the shares in him

Last edited:
Yeah I think that was the goal. His work rate as a forward was pretty poor, he'd often be screaming for the ball 70m+ away instead of working up the ground. Hopefully he has learnt some lessons.
Maybe at his size he is trying to start deeper so he can be running at the drop zone rather than working up earlier and standing there against a larger opponent. Just a thought. Haven’t seen enough of him live to dispute your assessment.

If work rate is an issue, Im not sure why he couldn’t work on that while playing forward.

As good as his game in defence was today, playing loose man defending down the line is doing nothing for his forward craft. Especially while we were dominating at times and not able to score.

I’ve posted elsewhere on here that I think the way we throw our big men around in the reserves slows their development in the role we have actually drafted them to play.

None of the best forwards in the AFL spent any time playing key defence in the state comp. It’s what you do with failed KPF as something of a last resort.

True swingmen that play both ends are pretty rare.

Looks like a Jack Lukosious to me
Potential is huge, a genuine gun footballer imo with an elite attitude and plan of attack

I’d buy the all the shares in him
Settle down mate as he’s put his hands up for a senior spot, but until picked and actually seen at the highest level he’s still an unknown quantity. He’s ticked the basic boxes atm and can’t wait to see what he will bring to our AFL team.

Maybe at his size he is trying to start deeper so he can be running at the drop zone rather than working up earlier and standing there against a larger opponent. Just a thought. Haven’t seen enough of him live to dispute your assessment.

If work rate is an issue, Im not sure why he couldn’t work on that while playing forward.

As good as his game in defence was today, playing loose man defending down the line is doing nothing for his forward craft. Especially while we were dominating at times and not able to score.

I’ve posted elsewhere on here that I think the way we throw our big men around in the reserves slows their development in the role we have actually drafted them to play.

None of the best forwards in the AFL spent any time playing key defence in the state comp. It’s what you do with failed KPF as something of a last resort.

True swingmen that play both ends are pretty rare.
Excellent post TB.
The problem yesterday was our inability to convert our i50 entries into goals. BIGGY could’ve easily played his role in the BL , but not capable of doing what Bauer did as a forward. One’s a natural forward whilst the other is just a Jack of all trades and master of none.

Settle down mate as he’s put his hands up for a senior spot, but until picked and actually seen at the highest level he’s still an unknown quantity. He’s ticked the basic boxes atm and can’t wait to see what he will bring to our AFL team.

Dominating the back half against an impressive team at their home ground then going forward again to take marks like he is isn’t just putting his hand up. That’s bagging the door down dude.

Dominating the back half against an impressive team at their home ground then going forward again to take marks like he is isn’t just putting his hand up. That’s bagging the door down dude.
Yes which is terrific at VFL level. It was well overdue and we could all see he was clearly a forward when we got him and bc of our dire need for one in the AFL . it’s great he was given 20min to exercise his talents in his true position. Absolute master stroke by our coaching team as I would never have thought of such a concept.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the highlights
Holy * how good was Bauer??
He’s a *en jet
You can’t play better than that, must be picked in 1’s next week
get banks Browne Bauer in

our performance against Brisbane was about as disgraceful as you can get, it's the week to play some new blokes

Excellent post TB.
The problem yesterday was our inability to convert our i50 entries into goals. BIGGY could’ve easily played his role in the BL , but not capable of doing what Bauer did as a forward. One’s a natural forward whilst the other is just a Jack of all trades and master of none.
Sounds familiar....

The only thing that should be taken away from that Bauer performance is his work in the backline where it could be argued he was our best player for the day. Going forward and being the match winner was the result of throwing caution to the wind and evening up the numbers in their defence where alongside Soldo also pushing higher we exposed their smaller defence and Bauer was able to cash in.

Pick Bauer forward next week and that doesn't happen. We play our system with one behind the ball and all of a sudden he is constantly out numbered and in all likelihood doesn't get anywhere near it, already evidence of this with his struggles VFL level this season thus the change in position in the first place. Having a strong set of hands and being a big body makes you look like a superstar at VFL level but the step up to AFL requires a lot more, the other traits Bauer has suggest he is more likely to make it playing as a third tall defender.

As it is currently we don't have a spot in the team for him there at AFL level so make him demand a spot by playing more games like today to the point where we have to select him. The same applies to Brown, Tresize and to a lesser extent Banks, continue to get confidence and develop their games at VFL level and by the time an opportunity does present itself for them they will be ready to step up.

This is how you develop players, don't gift them games for the sake of it. Needs to be a clear role and understanding of what is required of them at AFL level, look at our flag winning team from 2017 compared to 2020 and there were a number of changes will those guys working on their craft at VFL level and eventually replacing 'our heroes' from 2017.
Good points.

Vs Brizzy, our tall forwards were poor and our midfield smashed avocado

Ryan or Miller could back up ruck. Don't need both. 3 tall forwards just never seems to work for us.

Next week Sydney are not a tall backline so Bauer instead of Ryan/Miller would be a great opportunity.

Funny how the AFL team played like they had the flu but the VFL side wins. The 2018 season we were relatively uninjured and so, reluctant to select a depth player in the last final.

I think we've used 32 players so far, in a hamstring epidemic.

Mini's changes:
Ryan out:
Dusty in..if Dusty not recovered Bauer.

Last edited:
Good points.

Vs Brizzy, our tall forwards were poor and our midfield smashed avocado

Ryan or Miller could back up ruck. Don't need both. 3 tall forwards just never seems to work for us.

Next week Sydney are not a tall backline so Bauer instead of Ryan/Miller would be a great opportunity.

Funny how the AFL team played like they had the flu but the VFL side wins. The 2018 season we were relatively uninjured and so, reluctant to select a depth player in the last final.

I think we've used 32 players so far, in a hamstring epidemic.

Mini's changes:
Ryan out:
Dusty in..if Dusty not recovered Bauer.
We need to make more changes than that

Outs: Pickett, Cumberland, JGTIsn‘t, Ryan,Short(inj)
Ins: Brown, MRJ, Cumberland, Bauer, Dusty.

I was pretty blazed on weed and red wine last night
But my god did you watch the game and his his post match interview about his process and routine?
Gives me all the hope he’s gonna be a star at afl level

I was pretty blazed on weed and red wine last night
But my god did you watch the game and his his post match interview about his process and routine?
Gives me all the hope he’s gonna be a star at afl level
I didn’t know that dynamic combination could impose such an effect on a well natured and mentally balanced individual like yourself. ;):)
I’m more nervous if he’ll even get a game yet mate than even contemplating his AFL future. 😆

Brisbane Lions 7.16 (58) def by Richmond 8.11 (59)
Jacob Bauer (RIC)
8 Jarryd Lyons (BL)
5 Tyler Sonsie (RIC)
3 Kai Lohmann (BL)
3 Ivan Soldo (RIC)
1 James Madden (BL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back