Game Day VFL Round 15 - Brisbane vs Richmond at Brighton Homes Arena

Remove this Banner Ad

Does that matter? Do you think playing out of position at AFL level is better than gaining confidence and developing into your role at VFL level. Guys like Butler and McIntosh didn't play any afl games in their first 2 years and come year 3 they stepped in and barely missed a game. We've picked up guys like Broad, Pickett and Lambert who spent years in the VFL working on their craft and came in made an impact.

AFL games are beneficial theres no denying that but they need to be earn't and there should be a clear role for the player before playing. The worst thing we could do is to pick a player like Sonsie and ask him to play the role Pickett has been playing the last month.

Tresize and Banks are two who on form deserve to be the next picked but the guys in front on them aren't our issue. We could probably pick either over HRS but then they likely play as the sub. Is that good for their development?
KMac in his first 3 seasons TT we couldn't get him on the park bc of niggles with hammies, calf's and so on. He'd get on the ground at Coburg and bang he'd be off within 15min.

The only thing that should be taken away from that Bauer performance is his work in the backline where it could be argued he was our best player for the day. Going forward and being the match winner was the result of throwing caution to the wind and evening up the numbers in their defence where alongside Soldo also pushing higher we exposed their smaller defence and Bauer was able to cash in.

Pick Bauer forward next week and that doesn't happen. We play our system with one behind the ball and all of a sudden he is constantly out numbered and in all likelihood doesn't get anywhere near it, already evidence of this with his struggles VFL level this season thus the change in position in the first place. Having a strong set of hands and being a big body makes you look like a superstar at VFL level but the step up to AFL requires a lot more, the other traits Bauer has suggest he is more likely to make it playing as a third tall defender.

As it is currently we don't have a spot in the team for him there at AFL level so make him demand a spot by playing more games like today to the point where we have to select him. The same applies to Brown, Tresize and to a lesser extent Banks, continue to get confidence and develop their games at VFL level and by the time an opportunity does present itself for them they will be ready to step up.

This is how you develop players, don't gift them games for the sake of it. Needs to be a clear role and understanding of what is required of them at AFL level, look at our flag winning team from 2017 compared to 2020 and there were a number of changes will those guys working on their craft at VFL level and eventually replacing 'our heroes' from 2017.
There is players in the seniors been gifted games get them out.

In all respect we're not near our flag years. This is we're the club mindset is wrong thinking finals a realistic. The year should be about development and getting games into our kids missing the trick here. To your point some players keep getting games and are not performing in the afl.
Loser mentality.

Is that Bauer's second after the siren goal kick this year ???

If so, that's very auspicious

Bring him in the 1s
Quoting your post to agree but also to acknowledge the use within it of the word ‘auspicious’

Rarely seen around these parts….

I'm still flabbergasted as to why Bauer starts in the BL where we are in need to look at possible Forward replacements in the ones. He's got no hope of getting a game in our ones team as our poorest player there is our co-captain in Grimes.
Also Bradtke for 3.5 quarters is then playing on two men bc BIGGY is a spud in the FL and Bradtke kicking is also unreliable.
In the last 15min of the 3rd we totally owned the game, but had nobody standing up to kick goals for us with all the f50 entries we had.
Next week I want pace and extra marking power added to our Seniors . We need speed in our seniors and if Minibus can't see it then he will be lucky to get the gig. Changes Bauer, MRJ, Coulthard and Brown for any of Pickett, JGTI, KMac, Cumberland, Cotchin, HRS and Ryan

We haven’t got enough HBF in the club recruit him as a forward play him in defence and the supporters are dumb hey

Play both Jack and ahem Bauer. Could have this KPF issue sorted out in 24 hours

That would mean playing a player in the position we recruited for , there are smarter blokes in the club than you and me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow we recruit Bauer as a forward try to turn him into a hbf eventually play him forward and he wins the game for us does anyone see the irony in that

He is still learning the craft, he is marking the ball better since he was pushed back. I think the club did it to improve his ability to read the ball.

It’s a pity that Lynch is injured, Bauer would be much better suited playing that 3rd role tall alongside Tom and JR
As it is , he’s likely to play kpf if he comes in which is a hell of a lot harder at his size against AFL standard kpd.
Having said that, I’d love to see him get an opportunity
Yea well still he deserves a shot at it , our marking ability is woeful

KMac in his first 3 seasons TT we couldn't get him on the park bc of niggles with hammies, calf's and so on. He'd get on the ground at Coburg and bang he'd be off within 15min.
He just looks over the hill to me , players of his caliber are generally finished before 30 , fumbles , loses. His feet , competes yes but at best halves most contests rather than win running away with it ,,,,should have opened his spot weeks ago and had 5+ games under belt of a debutant

He just looks over the hill to me , players of his caliber are generally finished before 30 , fumbles , loses. His feet , competes yes but at best halves most contests rather than win running away with it ,,,,should have opened his spot weeks ago and had 5+ games under belt of a debutant
Yeah it's sad it looks that way Bo. I watched Chocco put a lot of work into him at Coburg as Chocco rated him highly. Bloody top two way hard runner with a good jump on him and will be hard to replace.

Wow we recruit Bauer as a forward try to turn him into a hbf eventually play him forward and he wins the game for us does anyone see the irony in that
Just because he played less than half a season as a forward prior to drafting him doesn’t mean he is a forward or plays he best football as a forward. In fact, prior and post his drafting he played his best football as a backman and it would have been that form that caught the eye of our recruiters. Why are people so short sighted?

The only thing that should be taken away from that Bauer performance is his work in the backline where it could be argued he was our best player for the day. Going forward and being the match winner was the result of throwing caution to the wind and evening up the numbers in their defence where alongside Soldo also pushing higher we exposed their smaller defence and Bauer was able to cash in.

Pick Bauer forward next week and that doesn't happen. We play our system with one behind the ball and all of a sudden he is constantly out numbered and in all likelihood doesn't get anywhere near it, already evidence of this with his struggles VFL level this season thus the change in position in the first place. Having a strong set of hands and being a big body makes you look like a superstar at VFL level but the step up to AFL requires a lot more, the other traits Bauer has suggest he is more likely to make it playing as a third tall defender.

As it is currently we don't have a spot in the team for him there at AFL level so make him demand a spot by playing more games like today to the point where we have to select him. The same applies to Brown, Tresize and to a lesser extent Banks, continue to get confidence and develop their games at VFL level and by the time an opportunity does present itself for them they will be ready to step up.

This is how you develop players, don't gift them games for the sake of it. Needs to be a clear role and understanding of what is required of them at AFL level, look at our flag winning team from 2017 compared to 2020 and there were a number of changes will those guys working on their craft at VFL level and eventually replacing 'our heroes' from 2017.
Sorry U make too much sense to be posting on here

I'm still flabbergasted as to why Bauer starts in the BL where we are in need to look at possible Forward replacements in the ones. He's got no hope of getting a game in our ones team as our poorest player there is our co-captain in Grimes.
Also Bradtke for 3.5 quarters is then playing on two men bc BIGGY is a spud in the FL and Bradtke kicking is also unreliable.
In the last 15min of the 3rd we totally owned the game, but had nobody standing up to kick goals for us with all the f50 entries we had.
Next week I want pace and extra marking power added to our Seniors . We need speed in our seniors and if Minibus can't see it then he will be lucky to get the gig. Changes Bauer, MRJ, Coulthard and Brown for any of Pickett, JGTI, KMac, Cumberland, Cotchin, HRS and Ryan
Everything they do in the 2s is about player development. Doubt they care one bit about the result. So probably playing Bauer back is about exposing him to build versatility, presumably with the goal of turning him into a better forward.

At least that’s what I hope

Everything they do in the 2s is about player development. Doubt they care one bit about the result. So probably playing Bauer back is about exposing him to build versatility, presumably with the goal of turning him into a better forward.

At least that’s what I hope
We all understand this, but we've struggled with KPF all year since Lynch went to look for Buzz and Armstrong on the moon around 7-12 weeks ago. I think that's overdone now as twice about a month apart he's kicked the winning goal. Best place to develop as a KPF is by actually playing there. Just ask JR8 and Buddy

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back