Local Victorian Womens Footy - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

NAB League Girls 2022 fixture released:​

NAB League Girls 2022 - Week 1 Fixture (Futures U16 game time in brackets)
Saturday 22 January
Eastern Ranges v Calder Cannons - Kilsyth Recreation Reserve, 10.30 am (12:30pm)
Tasmania v Sandringham Dragons - Prospect Park, Launceston, 12.00pm
Murray Bushrangers v Bendigo Pioneers - JC Lowe Oval, Yarrawonga, 1.00pm (11:00am)
GWV Rebels v Gippsland Power - Latrobe University, Bundoora, 1.00pm (11:00am)

Sunday 23 January
Northern Knights v Oakleigh Chargers - Latrobe University, Bundoora, 12.00pm (10:00am)
Geelong Falcons v Dandenong Stingrays - Deakin University, Geelong, 11.00am (1:00pm)
Bye - Western Jets

CLICK HERE for the full NAB League Girls 2022 season fixture.

How come only one suns game ?

How come only one suns game ?
Logistics, money, school, etc. Asking a lot of school ages kids, both boys and girls, to fly in and fly out on the same day, every second or third week.

Especially seeing as both QLD academy teams will be made up of girls spread right across the state.

It’s not like the GC academy kids all live on the Gold Coast, or Brisbane academy kids all live in Brisbane.

What I find curious, is that neither NSW academy are playing a NAB league side.

What I find curious, is that neither NSW academy are playing a NAB league side.
A previous article suggested that the QLD teams are replacing the NSW teams in the fixture:
The Suns and Brisbane Lions academies plus Northern Territory will each travel to Melbourne for one game as guest teams, playing the Chargers, Jets and Tasmania Devils respectively, with the Suns and Lions replacing the Swans and Giants academies in the fixture.
So, maybe covid related?

EDIT: Title isn't showing in the link, so:

NAB League Girls live streaming: How to watch the next generation of AFLW stars this season​

(As of right now this article isn't paywalled - at least for me)

News Corp to stream a Nab League Girls game each week, starting with Knights/Chargers this Sunday. Not sure if this means the end of in-app streams or not. I guess I'll find out on Saturday.

Do we have a start date for the VFLW?

NAB League Girls live streaming: How to watch the next generation of AFLW stars this season​

News Corp to stream a Nab League Girls game each week, starting with Knights/Chargers this Sunday. Not sure if this means the end of in-app streams or not. I guess I'll find out on Saturday.

Correct. You’ll need to be a herald sun or news corp subscriber to watch it

Someone mentioned feb 12th

But still no vflw fixture

NAB League App hasn't updated and there doesn't seem to be a lot of good ways to find the scores, so I'll give my not-particularly-insightful take on the days games and the scores.

Eastern 5.8.38 def Calder 2.3.15

Bridget Deed, who was probably a bit unlucky to go undrafted last year, was easily BOG. Ranges midfield was dominant, mostly with older players, but they also used Georgie Pruden in there (who I've never seen before). Not sure how many players will get drafted from these teams this year, as Calder's in Essendon's zone and Eastern's in Hawthorn's. This may be the first time Calder has ever been Prespakisless.

Sandringham 2.13.25 def Tasmania 3.4.22

I saw most of the first half before the stream went down and I switched games. Sandy was 1.11 at half time. If either J'Noemi Anderson or Bridie Hipwell played, either I didn't see them or they were wearing numbers other than the ones listed on the app. Sandy Twitter said they were named, so I have no idea what was going on there. Sofia Hurley was prominent while I was watching. Didn't notice as much of Claire Ransom, but I may have been guilty of focusing more on Sandy.

Murray 13.10.88 def Bendigo 7.9.51

The pleasant surprise of my day (we won't talk about the disappointment). Pios were ahead when I switched over. Bushies took over, got a big lead, which the Pios managed to pull back to 5 points at one stage before Murray took complete control again. No idea who #9 is for Murray (app says Grace Hay, I say otherwise), but they were an absolute standout in the midfield. Quick, effective by foot, etc. [Edit: On closer inspection, the numbers for the Bushies on the app are really, really wrong. Skepper is still 17 (the app says 2). Still no idea on 9.] I didn't see much of either of these teams last year, but maybe I need to watch more of the country games.

GWV 9.7.61 def Gippsland 0.2.2

Then again, maybe not. Only caught the tail end of the game and saw the last GWV behind get kicked.

EDIT: Stats have updated on the app. Deed had 36 and kicked 1.1 for Eastern. Hurley had 23 for Sandy, Ransom 21 for Tassie. Zarlie Goldsworthy had 33 and kicked 4.4 for Murray, Zara Hamilton had 29. Paige Scott kicked 2.3 from 12 disposals for GWV. Ava Jordan (2023 prospect) had 27 for Northern, Jasmine Fleming had 24 for Oakleigh. Amber Clarke had 5.2 from 23 touches for Dandenong.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#9 for Bushies is Zara Hamilton and from what I have been told the stats for the matches completed by Champion Data are being done today, so the app should have scores and stats tonight (I am told at the latest it will all be there by Monday night each round but generally should happen the night of or Sunday night).

Would be much better if the AFL got their act together and at least hardcoded the scores of the match into the app post-match. Then again this is the same AFL that somehow went from an amazing live streaming/replay model on youtube to a crappy streaming app with no replay functionality! Ah well, guess that is more reason to get out and watch matches live but is still very disappointing.

#9 for Bushies is Zara Hamilton and from what I have been told the stats for the matches completed by Champion Data are being done today, so the app should have scores and stats tonight (I am told at the latest it will all be there by Monday night each round but generally should happen the night of or Sunday night).

Would be much better if the AFL got their act together and at least hardcoded the scores of the match into the app post-match. Then again this is the same AFL that somehow went from an amazing live streaming/replay model on youtube to a crappy streaming app with no replay functionality! Ah well, guess that is more reason to get out and watch matches live but is still very disappointing.
I think they're in the process of updating now. The Rebels/Power match is reading as being in progress with the Rebels leading 39 to 2. IIRC, this is what would happen last year.

It's weird, because even the app was a lot better a couple of years ago. Stats and scores would live update the same way they do on the AFLW app. Not sure what happened there.

I definitely miss the YouTube games - I could watch a replay skipping the breaks in ~ an hour.

Stingrays 10.9.69 def Falcons 3.3.21

Stream cut out half way through the last, but I think this is the final score. Amber Clarke kicked 5.2 (by my count - I could have missed something) splitting time between the midfield and forward line. Geelong really had no answers for her. She's obviously in the first pick discussion, but I'm not going to make any big calls with Ham and Baskaran on bye and having not watched the full games of any of Fleming, Hurley or Scott. Early signs, though, I think the first few are likely a bit ahead of the next few.

I also think the Rays could get close to the record for most drafted players (7) set by Sandy in 2020. Clarke and Emily Shepherd started forward and rotated through the middle. The starting midfield was Jaide Anthony, Felicity Crank and Charley Ryan. Mackenzie Eardley had an unfortunate turnover that led to a goal and probably took on opponents more than she needed to running out of defence, but she also intercepted well in the second half. Those are just the most obvious ones.

Hard to tell if Dandy are that good or Geelong that bad, but we'll get an idea in the coming weeks.

Apparently, Chargers 8.6.54 def Knights 4.4.28 under uncle Rupert's watchful eye.

I think they're in the process of updating now. The Rebels/Power match is reading as being in progress with the Rebels leading 39 to 2. IIRC, this is what would happen last year.

It's weird, because even the app was a lot better a couple of years ago. Stats and scores would live update the same way they do on the AFLW app. Not sure what happened there.

I definitely miss the YouTube games - I could watch a replay skipping the breaks in ~ an hour.
Yep, two years ago it was updated live because Champion Data was doing the stats live rather than on replay. My understanding from a mate is that COVID hurt the amount of money the AFL could commit (an obvious statement) and so they couldn't afford live stats anymore.

One of the best things about AFLW is that it is short. I've never missed an AFLW match because I can watch the whole thing in an hour to 1.5. Whereas the men's it just isn't possible to view nine matches of at least two hours in length.

Yep, two years ago it was updated live because Champion Data was doing the stats live rather than on replay. My understanding from a mate is that COVID hurt the amount of money the AFL could commit (an obvious statement) and so they couldn't afford live stats anymore.
That makes sense. While I'd prefer it the way it was, I don't need live stats. It would be nice if somebody could tweet out the final scores or something, though.

Definite agreement on the game length. I was hopeful that the shortened men's matches in 2020 would lead to permanently shortened games, but apparently I was in the minority. In the AFLW I can go to night games on the other side of Melbourne and get home by 10PM. I haven't been to Geelong yet for a women's game, but I reckon I'd be home earlier than I would be for a men's match at Marvel.

b0d14e190d7fee2af80bd2b5a79f8dee.jpg

Also on Feb 6 MelbourneW play GCW at 510pm

Sent from my Louis Vuitton Jaffle Maker

Heard VFLW is being played on Labour Day weekend, with a competition bye the following weekend.

Great fixturing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back