Vote 1: Matthew Boyd for Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Ridley This

Team Captain
Oct 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I know it's early, but I'm sick of all bi-polar theads going on about our recent sh!tness, so I'm firing the first shot in the upcoming campagne. Whilst this has probably been raised elsewhere, I want to launch a serious bid and get you guys behind it.

It's doubtfull Johno will play on, and at the slight chance he does, he'll probably step down from captain to look more at his own form.

Leading into this season, the two obvious front runners were Murphy and Gia.

I love Murph, I really really do, and I think all things going being fair, he would be a great captain. But geez, he just can't seem to shake the injury cloud, and needs to focus on getting himself back to his best. He's getting there, slowly, but playing as captain will add too much to his role.

Oddly, I think Gia wants it too much. He appears to play nerviously when he gets a sniff of real leadership. I think he's a lot better when he takes the pressure off himself.

Boyd just does things right, time and time again. He's ultra competitive and thrives on adversity. It helps that he's had one almighty good season, even as the Dogs have had their ups and downs. He comes across has a hard nosed kind of guy, and I think he'll bring something to the roll that might have been lacking in Johnson. Love him or hate him, Nathen Buckley was an amazing leader at Collingwood, and I can see Boyd working a similar angle. I think we'll all be keeping an eye on how he goes in this finals series, because it'll probably seal it if he stars.

He also looks like Frank Woodley, and that amuses me.

Discuss

Bob Murphy as captain? LOL

Boyd has got all the attributes to be captain, but why does Daniel Cross not get a mention? He works as hard as anyone (better defensivly than Boyd) and is a genuine star with experience.

Gia stepped up this year in Boyds absense. He is a worthy candidate. People may say that he goes missing in too many games, but I tend to disagree. He could be an A grade midfielder, but he plays his role as instructed.

Barry won a premiership as captain, so what's wrong with him? Judd walked into the captaincy at Carlton so it's not like he has to earn his bulldog stripes.

Barry won a premiership as captain, so what's wrong with him? Judd walked into the captaincy at Carlton so it's not like he has to earn his bulldog stripes.

Not a bad suggestion and it has its merrit.. It might even provide Hall with a further deterrent for his brain snaps.

However, overall I would rather see the role go to someone who not only has an on field presence, but someone who is cool calm and collected on the field and has the ability to turn a game.

Boyd - no. I dont think he really has that field presence that can lift a side
Cross - see above
Morris - see above
Lake - possibility
Hudson - has the on field presence, can lead the team, could take the role next year
Gia - has everything in the making, yet fails to grasp confidence and come through on the big games
Gilbee - too quiet
Cooney - has the on field presence, can lead the team, could take the role next year
Griffen - has the on field presence, can lead the team, could take the role next year
Ward - a possible future captain - 4-5 years
Higgins - a possible future captain - 4-5 years
Grant - give him a good 5 years to develop
Roughead - as above
Murphy - not likely
Shaggy/Williams & the rest - as above

Not a bad suggestion and it has its merrit.. It might even provide Hall with a further deterrent for his brain snaps.

However, overall I would rather see the role go to someone who not only has an on field presence, but someone who is cool calm and collected on the field and has the ability to turn a game.

Cross - see above
Morris - see above
Lake - possibility
Hudson - has the on field presence, can lead the team, could take the role next year
Gia - has everything in the making, yet fails to grasp confidence and come through on the big games
Gilbee - too quiet
Cooney - has the on field presence, can lead the team, could take the role next year
Griffen - has the on field presence, can lead the team, could take the role next year
Roughead - as above
Murphy - not likely

I know in every 'next captain' thread I say this but it really needs to be said.

We don't know how the players respect each other, we don't know the dynamics of the club and people.

The captain doesn't have to be our best player - in fact the best leader is almost never the best player.

Captaincy these days means nothing. Well, it's a nice honour to flip the coin and have the (c) next your name but in reality you need captains all over the ground.

We could name Gia as captain and that would be fine as long as Morris, Cross, Boyd, Murphy etc etc all were captain material.

I know that this is a hard concept to explain(or be understood by nuffies) but the importance of the captain in this professional era that we live in is dying and close to dead.

Whoever the (c) goes to only needs the respect of the other senior players/young leaders.

The problem is that most of us only see our players 2 hours every week. So it is really hard to make any informed decision on who should be captain.

That is why we have leading teams in place, and pre season trips. To determine which players have leadership traits and to develop those.

Looking from the outside in, our best players don't appear to have the leadership values of some others. That is not necessarily a bad thing as it happens in some other clubs as well.

Personally I would like to see two or three captains, but if they go for one, then I will leave it up to the match committee, leading teams, leadership group, and coaches to determine it as they are in the best position to evaluate all the different characteristics and tasks that being captain requires.

I think it depends on what sort of direction you want to take the team moving forward.

Players who play their own game like Lake, Eagleton, Hudson and Hall are probably not your typical Captain types, but that doesn't mean they can't play the role.

Traditionally we'd go for a team stalwart with good leadership skills, players who fit that mould are Giansiracusa, Boyd, Murphy, Cooney (and Higgins to a lesser extent).

Then there's the hard working players, who would definitely set an example, and put their bodies on the line week after week, see Cross, Hahn, Morris, (Johnson).

There's the outside players, who definitely play their role in the side, yet seemingly don't appear to be captain material, ie Gilbee, Williams, Hargrave, Minson.

Lastly, there's some young players with the potential for Captaincy, but not yet - Griffen, Higgins, Picken, Grant and Harbrow.

The rest don't get a look-in, at least not yet. So, chose the path we want to follow and pick a captain from that group.

Personally, my pick is Hudson next year, then Cooney the year after.

.....I now that this is a hard concept to explain(or be understood by nuffies) but the importance of the captain in this professional era that we live in is dying and close to dead....

What!!??

Tell that crap to Riewoldt or Maxwell. They may well suggest that you're the nuffie.

Anyway, back to the topic. Looking at our current and past captains (Johnson and Grant), the club chose them well. Both were great leaders on and off the field. They always provided inspiration. They had the amazing ability to do the remarkable. They commanded respect from the whole football community. And they loved our club.

Based on those traits, I'm not sure who would be the best fit. I'd probably lean towards Cooney, Griff, or Boyd.

What!!??

Tell that crap to Riewoldt or Maxwell. They may well suggest that you're the nuffie.

Serious? They would be the first to agree. Riewoldt has been the joint captain of StKilda and Maxwell is far from Collingwoods best player. They are the most respected and StKilda and Collingwood would be nothing without the leadership of players all over the ground.

The captaincy does not go to the person with the most 'traditional captaincy traits' but to the person that everyone in the club respects. Sometimes that isn't the hardest hitter, the guy that can run the longest or the guy that kicks the most goals.

It doesn't mean shit if you name Mitchell over Hodge as captain - the important part is that both of them are in the team and show leadership.

Cooney for me. Every day of the week.

Has presence, his impact on games is massive as highlighted by his absence the last couple of weeks.

He speaks well, is maturing with a young family, has a sense of humour, handles the media well.

He is our best player and is widely respected within and outside the club. It is a no brainer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is joint captaincy an option?

I just think it would be practical if there are no clear standouts.

The captain must have numerous skills and tasks.

1)He has to lead by example and do all the right things on and off the field

2)He doesn't have to be a star but he should be a walk up start in the 22

3)He has to be articulate and reasonably intelligent as he will be speaking to the media a lot as well as the different corporate groups within the club

4)He has to have good communication skills, and spend a lot of time with the younger and new players to the club. He has to be good at man management as in some way he is the conduit between the player and the coach. Some players may feel uncomfortable in speaking about an on field or off field issue to the coach, and the captain must be approachable.

You take all those factors into account and then you discover what leaders the players play the best football under.

It is a position that comes with many responsibilities which is why I raise the possibility of sharing it.

Cross - see above
Morris - see above
Lake - possibility
Gilbee - too quiet
Roughead - as above
Murphy - not likely
Hudson- Rocket ruled him out because of age.

Cooney- Ruled him self out because he believes its to early.

Boyd- Funnily enough majority of the games Boydy has captained we have won by 10 goals +

Boyd- Funnily enough majority of the games Boydy has captained we have won by 10 goals +

good pickup...

It would be interesting to be able to hear how he talks to the team in the huddles and at stoppages.

Cooney as hinted recently that he would be interested in the Captaincy. Could be very good for him, as I think he might thrive on the added responsibility. Cooney is also the one player we can rely upon to put in a big last half or last quarter to help get us over the line.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just think that it might be the final chapter in Cooney's rise to greatness.

Has to be Boyd in my opinion (with Cooney to succeed him in a couple of years)

Boyd is our most consistant player and represents all the qualities that we want in our side (strength, honesty, toughness, persistance, great work ethic & very durable). He has 2-3 years left in his prime and I would love to have him as captain.

I can't fathom how people can want Gia to lead us. He can go missing for entire games and has the physical presence of a second year player.

Has to be Boyd in my opinion (with Cooney to succeed him in a couple of years)

Boyd is our most consistant player and represents all the qualities that we want in our side (strength, honesty, toughness, persistance, great work ethic & very durable). He has 2-3 years left in his prime and I would love to have him as captain.

He has all those wonderful qualities you have mentioned, which is why he is a great player for us. Unfortunately his disposal is a problem. He has the second worst disposal efficiency in the entire club and has the highest number of clangers(68, the second is 54). So, this part of his game lets him down if you are looking at the onfield side of things. In assessing a player you have to look at his strengths and weaknesses.

As a number of posters have suggested though, it is the off field side of things that will count, and who the players and coaches want. If it is it Boyd, Gia, Cooney, etc or whoever, I trust the club to make the right decision because they see the players leadership qualities every day.We have leading teams in place and they would have the right process to ensure the best candidate is made captain.

I think Boyd is awesome but from the outside looking in he seems to blame others when things don't go his way. When we played Geelong I watched Boydy consistently get frustrated or give other players angry instructions all the whie his man was ten metres in the clear. I may be wrong here and it could be his role in the team to give others a rev-up or honest feedback but I think a captain these days has to remain level-headed at all situations and look at the merits of blasting other players on-field.

If I had to choose out of the current bunch though I think a more vocal Adam Cooney would be a great captain as he seems to be more often than not the guy who lifts the team when things are going badly.

It'll be Gia.

Jorge and I concur on this one. ;)

Although it was pointed out that Boyd has a hard-nosed attitude to the game, hates losing, which is why he sometimes pays out on teammates. Nothing wrong with that, but he has to perform well himself. Make him vice captain. :thumbsu:

Jorge and I concur on this one. ;)

Although it was pointed out that Boyd has a hard-nosed attitude to the game, hates losing, which is why he sometimes pays out on teammates. Nothing wrong with that, but he has to perform well himself. Make him vice captain. :thumbsu:

Nothing against Gia but to be honest I can't understand why he gets a game. That aside I think a Captain needs to be a leader on the field as well as off. We currently have only 4 leaders who can really shake up a game or rarely get beaten and that is Hudson, Lake, Griffen, and Cooney. I would choose from these guys my self. Most likely Cooney or Griffen because they are younger.

I don't. I just think he holds a bit of sway at the club and as someone alluded to before, it's not about on field leadership anymore.

From the day he walked into the club it has been acknowledged that he would be captain, one day. The most confident, yet level-headed 18yo that I have ever met and I'm told that his team mates all look up to him as a leader. He may not be our best footballer, but he will be our next captain. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back