Vote with your remote - boycott 2016 Carlton v Richmond season opener on TV

Remove this Banner Ad

this is whats sad about footy these days. The AFL has even made fans care more about crowds and ratings than the actual spectacle. Carlton vs Richmond is almost always a dud opening game and considering Carltons poor season last year they never should have been given this.

Someone has already disproved this a few pages back

Those who agree with this season opener - Richmond and Carlton fans.
Those against - 97% of everyone else.

IMO should be grand final replay at winners home ground to present flag at their ground. Start season how the last ended.

Unfortunately not everyone has MCG as home ground so probably not likely to happen.

this is whats sad about footy these days. The AFL has even made fans care more about crowds and ratings than the actual spectacle. Carlton vs Richmond is almost always a dud opening game and considering Carltons poor season last year they never should have been given this.
There are 197 other matches to be played in H&A season. Why do you care so much about the first game? You don't have to watch it.

2 traditional Melbourne clubs squaring off at the home of football. Pretty good start to the season I would've thought.

Those who agree with this season opener - Richmond and Carlton fans.
Those against - 97% of West Coast supporters.

*EFA

IMO should be grand final replay at winners home ground to present flag at their ground. Start season how the last ended.

What? Another game of Eagles getting thrashed by Hawks. Yes, I'm sure that would be interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pointless sooky la la thread.

Works well for mine, obviously not both teams are going to be 1/2 in the comp at all times.

What chance?

Seems like you've ignored all the past games. Even last year, they didn't quite smack us. :drunk:
Glad to see a Carlton supporter giving a yelp.

Was saying recently to a few of my Carlton mates they have given up so easily and accepted their new place in the order of things. At least a few keep up some fight.

I think blockbuster games should be reserved for anticipated contenders. First match should have been West Coast vs Fremantle or Hawthorn vs another victorian top 8 finisher, Hawks vs Dogs would have been a game I would have been keen on watching.

While we may end up with a decent game, there isn't the expectation of it being a decent game nor one in which the game has the expectation to impact the ladder position in terms of a finals race.

It is just an overall let down since Carlton has receded back into semi-permanent rebuild mode.

carlton and richmond usually delivers a competitive game on opening round. we haven't been blown out by them for a long time. honestly unless hawthorn plays one of the western teams in perth (which is impossible for the opening game timeslot) then any game involving hawthorn will be a much bigger blow out.

Sorry OP, I will be watching tonight because:

1. It's the first game of the year

2. I have a bet on

3. No matter what happens it will be funny, either carlton get smacked, in which case lol carlton. Or it's close and they give richmond an almighty scare, in which case lol richmond. Or richmond lose in which case really lol richmond. :p

4. There's nothing wrong with Richmond and Carlton opening the season. No game you schedule is guaranteed to be a good game. Just look at the grand finals that end up being stinkers and they are supposed to be the best 2 teams. What you can guarantee is eyeballs and Richmond and Carlton bring that whether you like it or not.

And unfortunately for you my watching it does actually count towards the ratings. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back