Event WA Saints Fans - An Evening with Robert Harvey (10/10/19)

Remove this Banner Ad

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
An Evening with Robert Harvey

hey guys The Western Saints have been busy working since the season ended to bring a special event to the WA members and fans. We are super excited to announce that on Thursday the 10th of October we will be holding a special event with the man widely regarded as the greatest Saint of them all, none other than 8 time All Australian, 4 time Trevor Barker Medalist, 2 time Brownlow medalist, St Kilda Hall of Fame and Team of the Century player ... the one the only Robert "Banger' Harvey !!!

for one night only at the home of the Western Saints, The Saint George Hotel in Innaloo (The Saint) the evening will give the WA faithful the chance to hear from the the great man himself about his time at the Saints, with an open floor Q&A to follow you can ask Bangers your own burning question..
Premium tickets SOLD OUT within 48 hours !! standard tickets still available but are selling fast ... so click the below link and make sure you are part of this fantastic event ...

i will most certainly do a recap ....
just like the Rooey Q&A session if anyone has any questions on here they would like me to ask on their behalf please post them and ill do my best to get them asked ...

so our evening with Robert Harvey was held last night ...
and without tooting my own horn .... WHAT AN EPIC NIGHT IT WAS !!!
Harves got to the venue a little early as he wanted to say gday and meet The Western Saints who were setting up the event as he knows sometimes the organisers get caught in the running of the function to really get to enjoy the function (seriously what a friggin champ) so my committee got to mingle with the great man for about 30 mins before the start and that was FANTASTIC..
the guests who got in early and snapped up our premium experiance were let into our function room at 6pm Harves was fantastic with the guest moving seat a number of times to make sure everyone got a fair amount of time with him .. the meals by our Venue The Saint were great and everyone was really very very happy . the dinner was a really cool concept as it was a real relaxed and open engagment with the great man with everyone feeling like Harves was not a St Kilda legend but a good mate ...

come 7pm we opened the doors to the Standard ticketed guests , all up including the premium guest we had about 80 people there that considering the 2 week turnaround , being mid week , out of season and on school holidays was a fairly soild result . our MC Sharon (who is also now the President of the newly formed Western Saints W supporter group) then introduced myself to the stage to do my welcome ... in my welcome i made mention of the work that go's into putting these things together and also mentioned the importance the Western Saints put on doing things like this in order to help the WA members feel that connection and experiance that our brothers and sisters in Melb get being closer to our club. i also spoke breifly about the tragic loss of Spud Frawley that we took a moment to raise a glass in memory of the man..

our MC Sharon then started the show introducing Harves to the crowd ... now many of us have seen Harves on TV and one of the critisims of the man is his somewhat lack of personality or spark while being interviewed .... there was absoultly no sign of that at all ... i think from my observation perhaps it was due to the setting and being comfortable around the people in the room as opposed to the bright lights and cameras ? Harves was fantastic , he was funny, he was heart felt , he was open and honest and really engaging with the crowd .. i think everyone ws blown away with how fantastic he was ..
after the interview Harves took a quick breather while we held our auction and boy oh boy what an auction .... the decision had been made earlier in the night that one of the signed team jumpers that the Western Saints have as part of our supporter group pack would be auctioned off with 100% of the proceeds going to Beyond Blue as a donation in the memory of Danny Frawley ... im happy to say we are donating $250.00 for that item :)

after the auction we opened up the Q&A session to the crowd (ill cover some take aways from that later) Harves again was really engaging and honest with his answers and every one who had a question got their answer...

to round out the night Harves then signed autographs and posed for photos until every last person got their moment with him ...
really a super special bloke .....

so over all a fantastic night by all and one we hope to be able to replicate again in the future ...

Take aways from the interview and Q&A :

Barker & Spud : Harves got some what emotional when it came to talking about his major influences in his carreer ... Spud was the heart of the club who got everyone up and about , he recounted that every away game Spud made it a big thing that the whole group had a meal together he made sure everyone was part of the club and for Harves personally early on in his career when he was struggling with how hard VFL footy was it was Spud who drove him and protected him to give him the confidence that he could actually make a go of senior footy ... Barks was the soul of the club .. in modern footy Harves cant think of anyone like barks he litterally would give his blood for the club he was the driving force behind getting the players to love the club and make the club theirs it was Barks who made the decision to accept the 10c in the $1 an easy decison and it was Barks who drove that loyalty mantra

Lenny : Harves loves Lenny .... like seriously love him .. to the point his wife is some what worried :) ...

Coaches : of all the coaches he rates Ross Lyon as his best coach and he knew big things were coming when he joind the club .. Alves monday to friday was wonderful but saturday he was a little rough :) ... GT was all encompasing he was so driven to get the club up and about that he took on so much it ended up being his downfall he joked if you called up St Kilda marketing in thouse day chances are GT would pick up the phone ... Blight the never saw .. Tim was good but just totally not ready to coach ... Sheldon was fantastic and taught the group posibly more than any other coach

Freo : in 95 Freo made a huge push to get harves over and while he wasnt really considering it he did fly to perth with the wife to "check it out" Freo pulled out all stops .. they flew him and the wife business class , they put them up in the penthouse in Scarbs , they took them to the VIP at the Perth cup the red carpet was rolled out .. Neesham who was Freo coach had them over for dinner at his house and the pitch was put to him... Harves had made the choice that while it was all great there was no way he was going to Freo so when it came time to ask if he was interested Harve made some excuse about having just brought his first house and not really being a great time with the new home and every thing with a mortage ect ... without missing a beat Freo offerd to pay the house out right for him there and then ... But he was still never joining Freo ..

Coaching : he is in contention for the Crows job .. the interview went really well and he feels having just done the Saints one has certainly helped .. he is hopeful he put a good presentation together for it and is really keen to land it even though he hate that Crows song still....

Ratten : he thinks the saints have got a good coach in Ratts he was close to getting the Saints job but Ratts pretty much had it tied up with the club alread implemting some of his actions before announcing him as the coach ... the Crows interview was more indepth then the Saints one with the Crows interview focusing heavy on the leadership and culture side of things

Take aways from the interview and Q&A :

Barker & Spud : Harves got some what emotional when it came to talking about his major influences in his carreer ... Spud was the heart of the club who got everyone up and about , he recounted that every away game Spud made it a big thing that the whole group had a meal together he made sure everyone was part of the club and for Harves personally early on in his career when he was struggling with how hard VFL footy was it was Spud who drove him and protected him to give him the confidence that he could actually make a go of senior footy ... Barks was the soul of the club .. in modern footy Harves cant think of anyone like barks he litterally would give his blood for the club he was the driving force behind getting the players to love the club and make the club theirs it was Barks who made the decision to accept the 10c in the $1 an easy decison and it was Barks who drove that loyalty mantra

Lenny : Harves loves Lenny .... like seriously love him .. to the point his wife is some what worried :) ...

Coaches : of all the coaches he rates Ross Lyon as his best coach and he knew big things were coming when he joind the club .. Alves monday to friday was wonderful but saturday he was a little rough :) ... GT was all encompasing he was so driven to get the club up and about that he took on so much it ended up being his downfall he joked if you called up St Kilda marketing in thouse day chances are GT would pick up the phone ... Blight the never saw .. Tim was good but just totally not ready to coach ... Sheldon was fantastic and taught the group posibly more than any other coach

Freo : in 95 Freo made a huge push to get harves over and while he wasnt really considering it he did fly to perth with the wife to "check it out" Freo pulled out all stops .. they flew him and the wife business class , they put them up in the penthouse in Scarbs , they took them to the VIP at the Perth cup the red carpet was rolled out .. Neesham who was Freo coach had them over for dinner at his house and the pitch was put to him... Harves had made the choice that while it was all great there was no way he was going to Freo so when it came time to ask if he was interested Harve made some excuse about having just brought his first house and not really being a great time with the new home and every thing with a mortage ect ... without missing a beat Freo offerd to pay the house out right for him there and then ... But he was still never joining Freo ..

Coaching : he is in contention for the Crows job .. the interview went really well and he feels having just done the Saints one has certainly helped .. he is hopeful he put a good presentation together for it and is really keen to land it even though he hate that Crows song still....

Ratten : he thinks the saints have got a good coach in Ratts he was close to getting the Saints job but Ratts pretty much had it tied up with the club alread implemting some of his actions before announcing him as the coach ... the Crows interview was more indepth then the Saints one with the Crows interview focusing heavy on the leadership and culture side of things

Thanks for telling us some of the stuff he said . Sounds like it was a good night . Does he still have a soft spot for the Saints ?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just on Harvey .
Years ago when the Saints were still playing at Moorabbin . My mates and me used to get tshirts printed up just for out group of mates . I think we got about 15 tshirts so we each got a couple . Ive still got mine at the moment , they have never been worn or washed , yes they smell a bit lol. Anyway i was talking to my brother in law back then and he said he worked with Harvey’s best mate . We had just got our latest tshirt printed with Harvey on the front . So we asked Harveys mate if Harvey could sign them all. Harvey said yes on one condition , we had to give one to his mom who loved the tshirt . So we did and he signed our tshirts for us . Tomorrow i will try take a photo of mine and post it one here . One of my mates donated his spare tshirts to the Saints museum at Moorabbin , i dont know if they are on show yet .
We also did a Nicky Winmar tshirt plus a side with a mixture of our great players at the time plus some of our awful players too . Those were the days lol.

Thanks for telling us some of the stuff he said . Sounds like it was a good night . Does he still have a soft spot for the Saints ?

for sure ... he still refers to St Kilda as "us" ...
i did get a bit of a feeling he was a bit cut about not getting the coaching job and i think he kinda saw the writing on the wall that the job was always going to be Rattens .....

but if we had got Harves im almost 100% certain Harves wiuld have brought Lenny with him ans his assistant

Remove this Banner Ad

Back