Local WA Womens Competition - General Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Good luck and congratulations.

Hope you convert to the purple when your first child plays for the DockersšŸ˜€.
Given I've converted from Subi to WP - of course I will.

If they are good enough

They are pretty young playing league.

Are they in the state academy system?
They are young. The whole squad is. Itā€™s about building by year 3.

Eldest was in the U16 State Academy, wasnā€™t invited by WP head coach for 18s. Lit a fire in her arse that saw her win best defender at Rogers level last season in the premiership season. She was a running HB who took kick ins

Younger one played metros - the gateway to States but wasnā€™t invited.

Last edited by a moderator:

The number of fast girls in the 170cms range just in WP and SF alone is super encouraging. And the likes of McNaughton and Fish should be making even 'established' AFLW midfielders nervous, they're no guarantee to hold onto their spots with kids like that coming through.
Big talk considering not one player from the last five WA drafts has announced herself as an A-grade midfielder yet. Been plenty of fast 170cm girls who look good at state league level but can't get near an AFLW footy, though.

I definitely think Dana Hooker and Emma Swanson are nervous... about more kids not living up to unreasonable hype and failing to provide sufficient help. At this rate West Coast are going to need those two to play until they're 45.

Big talk considering not one player from the last five WA drafts has announced herself as an A-grade midfielder yet. Been plenty of fast 170cm girls who look good at state league level but can't get near an AFLW footy, though.

I definitely think Dana Hooker and Emma Swanson are nervous... about more kids not living up to unreasonable hype and failing to provide sufficient help. At this rate West Coast are going to need those two to play until they're 45.
Big talk? What's with the endless insults and bullying? Serious question. Why can't you just play the ball instead of the man?

Hard to argue with Teen Wolf on this one.
Bowen and Lewis are promising but nowhere near the levels of Hanks, Purcell, Morrison in terms of A grade midfielders.
And there arenā€™t too many on the horizon. Rowley was the highest ranked WA from last yearā€™s draft and sheā€™s averaging 6 touches per game.

Bowen and Lewis are promising but nowhere near the levels of Hanks, Purcell, Morrison in terms of A grade midfielders.
And there arenā€™t too many on the horizon. Rowley was the highest ranked WA from last yearā€™s draft and sheā€™s averaging 6 touches per game.
On top of that, a highly touted junior in Hayley Miller has only properly hit her stride at the age of 25 or so, after several seasons alongside Kiara Bowers (and Hooker, Antonios etc) at AFLW level.

In other words, to make it as a midfielder, the kids coming through need 1) lots of time, and 2) to be surrounded by quality and experience. At most, 1 or 2 teenagers per year defy that law. None of them have been from WA yet.

One may predict that will soon change, but until then, it's just a big old bunch of talk. For anybody to react to that point as if it's a personal attack... is kinda hilarious to me.

On top of that, a highly touted junior in Hayley Miller has only properly hit her stride at the age of 25 or so, after several seasons alongside Kiara Bowers (and Hooker, Antonios etc) at AFLW level.

In other words, to make it as a midfielder, the kids coming through need 1) lots of time, and 2) to be surrounded by quality and experience. At most, 1 or 2 teenagers per year defy that law. None of them have been from WA yet.

One may predict that will soon change, but until then, it's just a big old bunch of talk. For anybody to react to that point as if it's a personal attack... is kinda hilarious to me.

'Big talk' is the latest in a long string of aggressive accusations that's all I ever get from you. I've never had a pleasant interaction with you. Not one. There's at least one other forum member I'm aware of who rarely spends any time here anymore primarily because of you. I'm the same. I'm sure there are more. You insinuate, bully, attack and accuse, then deny you've done anything because 'it's hillarious' -- classic bully behaviour.

Note to the Mods; if you never tackle the weeds in your garden, soon all you'll have is weeds. Anyway, I'm done here. Pity, because I've enjoyed nearly everyone else. I might check back next year to see if it's improved, but I doubt it will.

Does anyone know which team is the fourth that the Bulldogs will face before the end of round 10? Obviously they are playing us (Gold Coast) tomorrow night, Collingwood on Sunday and West Coast the following week but there is no opponent in round 10... Now I know they were supposed to play the Lions earlier in the season and that game was called off but it would appear that Brisbane's remaining three matches of the season are already booked and don't involve the Bulldogs - West Coast on Sunday, North Melbourne the following week and Richmond in round 10.

So what gives? Surely someone in this thread knows the answer...

Does anyone know which team is the fourth that the Bulldogs will face before the end of round 10? Obviously they are playing us (Gold Coast) tomorrow night, Collingwood on Sunday and West Coast the following week but there is no opponent in round 10... Now I know they were supposed to play the Lions earlier in the season and that game was called off but it would appear that Brisbane's remaining three matches of the season are already booked and don't involve the Bulldogs - West Coast on Sunday, North Melbourne the following week and Richmond in round 10.

So what gives? Surely someone in this thread knows the answer...
For those interested, see my reply in the AFLW General Discussion thread.

Went to watch the local WAFLw last night - Peel V East Freo. No Ella Roberts but it was a superb high skill level game. All the doom and gloom Re AFLW but if thats a hint of the standard coming though then I think it will turn out ok!

Was watching a Womens AFL video the other day who were discussing the upcoming fullblown national Comp
One of the players mentioned how the Womens game was still growing despite the early setbacks in WA.
It appears that the Perth Football League (Amateurs) had expanded its number of Womens teams from 16 originally to 66 this year.
That organisation does not get much publicity in the mainstream media in Perth however it knows what its doing which is quite evident.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reading the fine print >8 Schools involved with a 40 team set up. Thats about 640 players playing.
This is good news for our female game in WA and it will expand even more when the AFLW Womens wages grow in the future.
They will be able to see a proper sporting career with our game luring them away possibly from other sports as well.
The Captain of the Australian Womens Soccer Team nailed it recently when she made similar comments.

8 teams

Ressies scraped

SWFL just completed the woman's Grand Final.

In a departure from previous, the woman's grand final was held a week earlier, during men's preliminary final week.

This meant, the woman's grand final was played last, as the days finale, instead of before the men's grand final, where everything was rushed, while people waited for the "main event".

Worked very well. It meant when the GF was on, it was the focus. A danger was, that when the men's preliminary finished, everybody just leaving, but they kept a really good crowd.

1 Point in it at the end, crowd really engaged.
League would have loved it, they had decent representation in the crowd from the clubs in the GF, despite neither club being in the proceeding men's preliminary. So the women's game is pulling people to the finals that may not have gone otherwise, and they lengthened the day, adding to bar and food receipts.

And the girls got to celebrate at length, without being hustled off the ground.

On SM-X200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

8 teams

Ressies scraped

Have not been here for a while. Reading the article and between the lines we will have in 2023 =8 x teams playing at top level however not all teams will be equal in talent as per usual in any comp in any sport.
So there will be a gap from the WAFLW to the next level. That gap is normally filled with a reserve level below the first graders.
Does this matter because eventually it will be filled we hope.

Perth back into the u18 Rogers Cup comp

Remove this Banner Ad

Back