Opinion WAFL and the alignment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
In the WAFL finals this year, there was a lot of grumbling about the advantages that Peel had over the rest of the competition because of its alliance with Fremantle FC.
Some of the complaints were just those of sore losers, many South Fremantle fans should be ashamed of themselves for booing after the game, and I don't remember the West Perth president complaining last year when a team of WAFL reservists played them because Freo withdrew its players in case they were needed.

But the competition doesn't need an unfair playing field where one team dominates over all others because of an advantage unavailable to the other clubs. It happened in the early 2000s with East Perth and over the last decade with Subiaco (access to seats and the members' bar at Subiaco Oval meaning they are far more financial).

I think the Subiaco situation will fix itself when the new stadium is opened.
It is worthwhile to look at how the alliances between West Coast and Fremantle and their WAFL clubs are working, and whether a tweak is needed, or an abandonment of the whole concept is needed.

If you talk to the WAFL clubs, I think you will find that the problem is:
  1. The availability of a large number of professional players in an otherwise semi-professional competition.
  2. Players that have been developed by WAFL clubs and playing for an aligned club, just because they are on an AFL list.
  3. The aligned clubs have suffered an exodus of WAFL standard players to the country or other WAFL clubs as a result of a perceived lack of opportunities at those clubs.

However, the AFL clubs feel that playing together, under a similar game plan helps develop the list, and enables them to compete with the aligned clubs of The other AFL clubs.

I think the argument of scrapping the alignment and returning to a split of draftees among 4 or 5 clubs would be knocked on the head quickly. We went to the current system because that system did not work.
I also think playing a Fremantle and West Coast seconds in the competition would be unsustainable. Many times in the last few years, there have been only a half dozen players available and fit to play in the seconds. It would be a disaster for the competition.

I reckon that a solution to the problem is a tweak of the rules:
Make the eligibility of finals players the same as the VFL and SANFL competition. My understanding is that three to five players would not have been eligible under the interstate rules.
Leave WA players in the club they were drafted from. This would mean that de Boer would have stayed at Claremont, Yarran at Subiaco, Walters and Naitanui at Swan Districts etc, but any interstate player would be listed as an aligned club player.

The advantages of the second tweak would be that the players would still be in the environment that enabled them to be drafted in the first place. I think de Luca, who was a Subiaco premiership player, struggled with the move to Peel, for example. Walters benefitted from going back to Swan Districts and sorting himself out. It would have been much harder for him to go down to Peel and try the same transformation.
The WAFL would be happier when a player gets drafted to a local club in the AFL. The galling sight of one of their stars playing in other WAFL colours would be avoided.
The competition would be more even. The aligned clubs would still have an access to professional players, but not the double whammy of taking players from their opposition.

The disadvantage would be that young WA players wouldn't play together with young interstate players in the seconds. But they would still train together for most of the week, and AFL club and WAFL club could have dialogue and move a player if things weren't working out well. I think that because the drafted player is from the WAFL club originally, it is more likely that the player will be treated properly.
If a player is drafted from an aligned club, then the player would have to move across - you couldn't tolerate a situation where a Fremantle player is training with Eagles players for two nights a week.

What do people think? A fair compromise, unnecessary, or not far enough?

In the WAFL finals this year, there was a lot of grumbling about the advantages that Peel had over the rest of the competition because of its alliance with Fremantle FC.
Some of the complaints were just those of sore losers, many South Fremantle fans should be ashamed of themselves for booing after the game, and I don't remember the West Perth president complaining last year when a team of WAFL reservists played them because Freo withdrew its players in case they were needed.

But the competition doesn't need an unfair playing field where one team dominates over all others because of an advantage unavailable to the other clubs. It happened in the early 2000s with East Perth and over the last decade with Subiaco (access to seats and the members' bar at Subiaco Oval meaning they are far more financial).

I think the Subiaco situation will fix itself when the new stadium is opened.
It is worthwhile to look at how the alliances between West Coast and Fremantle and their WAFL clubs are working, and whether a tweak is needed, or an abandonment of the whole concept is needed.

If you talk to the WAFL clubs, I think you will find that the problem is:
  1. The availability of a large number of professional players in an otherwise semi-professional competition.
  2. Players that have been developed by WAFL clubs and playing for an aligned club, just because they are on an AFL list.
  3. The aligned clubs have suffered an exodus of WAFL standard players to the country or other WAFL clubs as a result of a perceived lack of opportunities at those clubs.

However, the AFL clubs feel that playing together, under a similar game plan helps develop the list, and enables them to compete with the aligned clubs of The other AFL clubs.

I think the argument of scrapping the alignment and returning to a split of draftees among 4 or 5 clubs would be knocked on the head quickly. We went to the current system because that system did not work.
I also think playing a Fremantle and West Coast seconds in the competition would be unsustainable. Many times in the last few years, there have been only a half dozen players available and fit to play in the seconds. It would be a disaster for the competition.

I reckon that a solution to the problem is a tweak of the rules:
Make the eligibility of finals players the same as the VFL and SANFL competition. My understanding is that three to five players would not have been eligible under the interstate rules.
Leave WA players in the club they were drafted from. This would mean that de Boer would have stayed at Claremont, Yarran at Subiaco, Walters and Naitanui at Swan Districts etc, but any interstate player would be listed as an aligned club player.

The advantages of the second tweak would be that the players would still be in the environment that enabled them to be drafted in the first place. I think de Luca, who was a Subiaco premiership player, struggled with the move to Peel, for example. Walters benefitted from going back to Swan Districts and sorting himself out. It would have been much harder for him to go down to Peel and try the same transformation.
The WAFL would be happier when a player gets drafted to a local club in the AFL. The galling sight of one of their stars playing in other WAFL colours would be avoided.
The competition would be more even. The aligned clubs would still have an access to professional players, but not the double whammy of taking players from their opposition.

The disadvantage would be that young WA players wouldn't play together with young interstate players in the seconds. But they would still train together for most of the week, and AFL club and WAFL club could have dialogue and move a player if things weren't working out well. I think that because the drafted player is from the WAFL club originally, it is more likely that the player will be treated properly.
If a player is drafted from an aligned club, then the player would have to move across - you couldn't tolerate a situation where a Fremantle player is training with Eagles players for two nights a week.

What do people think? A fair compromise, unnecessary, or not far enough?
I think continue with the alligment but follow VFL and SANFL rule , last year is a one off cant make everybody happy.
To be fair , suban and blakely should not play for peel final series . Langdon and other all contributed to peel team , especially deboer.

I think continue with the alligment but follow VFL and SANFL rule , last year is a one off cant make everybody happy.
To be fair , suban and blakely should not play for peel final series . Langdon and other all contributed to peel team , especially deboer.

I would have had Blakely playing with his brother at Swan districts. I met his mum and deLuca's dad at a Mandurah game early in the season. Both have two playing sons and have to split their time watching the two because of the alignment. And de Boer would have played for Claremont, perhaps contributing to a more even competition.

I don't think Hamling, Kersten, McCarthy or Hill would go back to their original WAFL clubs though, because they were recruited from an AFL club, not their original club.

I would have had Blakely playing with his brother at Swan districts. I met his mum and deLuca's dad at a Mandurah game early in the season. Both have two playing sons and have to split their time watching the two because of the alignment. And de Boer would have played for Claremont, perhaps contributing to a more even competition.

I don't think Hamling, Kersten, McCarthy or Hill would go back to their original WAFL clubs though, because they were recruited from an AFL club, not their original club.
I heard from sport fm radio, blakely brother ruckmen stop playing next year and be a GP in remote area or where blakely came from.

I actually think that peel allignment start to mature will be a bit of a waste if start all over again . As long as wafl rule is same as vfl i think is very fair. Lin jong winning vfl with some of his teammate also help him to make the decision to stay.

Last edited:

The whole point of the alignment is to have the AFL players under the one umbrella ,getting used to playing together with the AFL clubs coaches assisting game day. Having players spread all over the comp makes it impossible to spread the coaches and measure their progress. This was a problem before the alignment. Having some playing for Peel and some lining up for there original WAFL clubs doesn't make a lot of sense. Freo and WC having their own stand alone teams playing in the WAFL home and away games but not finals might work.

Freo and WC having their own stand alone teams playing in the WAFL home and away games but not finals might work.
Why lin jong can play for footcray in the GF and balic cant a bit unfair isnt it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats a good point,without Freo and WC doing well and ploughing funds back into the WAFL would there be any WAFL? WA footy needs the two afl clubs.
Do you think without the allignment there will there be bigger attendance in wafl ? I said no .

JMT's answer has nothing to do with what you posted . Answer for your self.
I said if deluca , langdon , deboer that play most of peel home and away series will be unfair for them to miss out peel final series because of what you mention /suggest. Salim 2015 @@

Thats a good point,without Freo and WC doing well and ploughing funds back into the WAFL would there be any WAFL? WA footy needs the two afl clubs.

Exactly, if they want to complain tell them to go make their league more profitable first.

They can't complain that we're making the wafl unfair while happily taking our cash to keep themselves afloat.

Eventually need our own teams. Playing more WAFL than AFL to be eligible for finals is a good start in the meantime though.

Do you think without the allignment there will be bigger attendance in wafl ? I said no .

Thats the point ,there is minimal interest in the WAFL .WAFL clubs are starved for members and crowds. The WAFL clubs would go down the drain without the WAFC pouring money back in. WA footy needs a strong Freo and WC. The WAFL clubs should be praying to the footy Gods that the AFL sides stay strong.

Eventually need our own teams. Playing more WAFL than AFL to be eligible for finals in a good start in the meantime though.
Apart from blakely,griffen ,clarke and suban . Most of them play more wafl than afl this season . Deboer, langdon, deluca , tucker ,hughes .

Thats the point ,there is minimal interest in the WAFL .WAFL clubs are starved for members and crowds. The WAFL clubs would go down the drain without the WAFC pouring money back in. WA footy needs a strong Freo and WC. The WAFL clubs should be praying to the footy Gods that the AFL sides stay strong.
Yah stuff all of them , but dont come and stuff up peel . I think this final series peel allignment increase their avenue greatly.
I would paid to just go and see balic play reserve .

The whole point of the alignment is to have the AFL players under the one umbrella ,getting used to playing together with the AFL clubs coaches assisting game day. Having players spread all over the comp makes it impossible to spread the coaches and measure their progress. This was a problem before the alignment. Having some playing for Peel and some lining up for there original WAFL clubs doesn't make a lot of sense. Freo and WC having their own stand alone teams playing in the WAFL home and away games but not finals might work.

I agree with this, but my suggestion is a compromise between the advantage for alignment of the AFL clubs, and the damage to the rest of the WAFL competition by having the alignment.
The biggest problem before the alignment was having Victorian and South Australian players dumped with a WAFL club that really had no interest in them. The local boys were much more looked after by their clubs.
And the WAFL clubs could look after their own (eg Walters) in a much better way.
I think the Alignment clubs will still benefit, but the other WAFL clubs will not be as disadvantaged.

I agree with this, but my suggestion is a compromise between the advantage for alignment of the AFL clubs, and the damage to the rest of the WAFL competition by having the alignment.
The biggest problem before the alignment was having Victorian and South Australian players dumped with a WAFL club that really had no interest in them. The local boys were much more looked after by their clubs.
And the WAFL clubs could look after their own (eg Walters) in a much better way.
I think the Alignment clubs will still benefit, but the other WAFL clubs will not be as disadvantaged.
The problem with your suggestions is you might hurt each other as freo players by playing against each other. Maybe those freo WA players will automatically drop when vs peel. Like soccer team loan players to other team but not allow to play against them .not a bad idea after all clems.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back