WAFL vs SANFL vs VFL - which league is strongest?

Second strongest Aussie Rules league in Australia?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL is a development league. Not going to argue whether the SANFL or WAFL is better as I think this is a bit more even than say 10 years ago but they’re clearly better than the VFL.

That being said the Suns B side who are top at the moment are chocker block full of ‘too good for state league not good enough for the AFL’ players and would probably be the best team outside the AFL at the moment.
Your Crows reserves would beat the Suns Reserves.
Glenelg did have a bad day out last weekend but I’d have them as the best side outside of the AFL over this year so far

VFL is a development league. Not going to argue whether the SANFL or WAFL is better as I think this is a bit more even than say 10 years ago but they’re clearly better than the VFL.

That being said the Suns B side who are top at the moment are chocker block full of ‘too good for state league not good enough for the AFL’ players and would probably be the best team outside the AFL at the moment.
SUNS VFL Round 2 Team

1. M Chol
2. R Atkins
4. B Ellis
5. A Davies
6. A Sexton
12. S Day
16. T Berry
20. J Sharp
21. J Tsitas
23. S Lemmens
26. C Blakely
29. C Burgess
32. B Uwland
33. C Constable
37. O Faulkhead
38. L Johnston
42. J Stein
43. B McLaughlin
45. S Brock
46. C Graham
49. N Moyle
50. J Farrar
52. C. Harrington

i'd say there's quite a large gap between the best and worst sanfl players, many of those in the middle head off to the ammos and get paid a shitload for a lot less work. there's still quite a large expectation on sanfl players even though the salary cap is still about half what it was pre covid. massive exodus of players across most teams the last couple of years too.

Pretty much explains why Port were in financial trouble under SANFL control until 2013 and the Crows were not a powerhouse club on par with West Coast.

Both clubs are doing better under AFL control but ultimately should be brought to member control.
When do Port become member controlled? I know the Crows become member controlled in 2028 but Port as far as I know are set to remain under AFL control indefinitely like Sydney.

Nothing stated by the club but I assume it would hinge on us clearing our debt first. Then members will need to pressure the club to revert to member control as it was before 1997.

just googled it and it was 18 million. What a steal that is. The two licences in Perth Woukd be worth 4 times that figure I reckon.
So the SANFL no longer gets anything from the two AFL clubs?
They will simply die In time now.

So the SANFL no longer gets anything from the two AFL clubs?
They will simply die In time now.

The SANFL has no direct involvement with the AFL clubs other than allowing the reserves teams to play in their league. This is until such time as an AFL national reserves competition is launched.

However the SANFL has a stake in Adelaide Oval and take a percentage of the profits. This is their main revenue stream plus what ever money is in the bank when they sold off Football Park for redevelopment into residential and commercial properties.

Would the SANFL look at having Werribee, Williamstown, Port Melb & Southport join the comp & become the second tier comp in the country?

Would the SANFL look at having Werribee, Williamstown, Port Melb & Southport join the comp & become the second tier comp in the country?
Would Southport get to wear their black and white guernseys given Port have those colours in the SANFL?

Would Southport get to wear their black and white guernseys given Port have those colours in the SANFL?
No Port in the SANFL if an AFL reserves comp is launched.

In reality the SANFL should consider replacing the Magpies and Crows when the eventually leave with 2 new teams. 1 in the Adelaide Hills and possibly 1 in the outer North of Adelaide.

They are in a par, as we saw in the Foxtel Cup a decade ago.

SA clubs did pretty poorly in the Foxtel Cup, with a couple of exceptions. From memory they were beaten by Queensland clubs on multiple occasions.
I realise they were probably understrength teams, but even so it's not evidence that the leagues are on par.

But yes, they are likely to be pretty close. I suspect the VFL is the strongest simply because it has a lot more AFL listed players, albeit over a lot more teams.

Not financially viable. Take out the AFL listed players and clubs and there would be little interest and no TV coverage or decent sponsors for those clubs. Less revenue and highest costs of more interstate games can’t work. Southport would be OK and probably Willi and Werribee but Port, Coburg and Bullants would likely fold if we get an AFL reserves comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SA clubs did pretty poorly in the Foxtel Cup, with a couple of exceptions. From memory they were beaten by Queensland clubs on multiple occasions.
I realise they were probably understrength teams, but even so it's not evidence that the leagues are on par.

But yes, they are likely to be pretty close. I suspect the VFL is the strongest simply because it has a lot more AFL listed players, albeit over a lot more teams.
They did, but SANFL sides rarely played more than half a dozen first team players in that comp.

No Port in the SANFL if an AFL reserves comp is launched.

In reality the SANFL should consider replacing the Magpies and Crows when the eventually leave with 2 new teams. 1 in the Adelaide Hills and possibly 1 in the outer North of Adelaide.
Remember when Port joined the AFL and it resulted in the SANFL creating the Port Magpies Football Club?
Is there a chance of this happening again if Port leave the SANFL and join the VFL?

Remember when Port joined the AFL and it resulted in the SANFL creating the Port Magpies Football Club?
Is there a chance of this happening again if Port leave the SANFL and join the VFL?
Who funds this? The Port fans are invested in the AFL. We can't afford to support two separate clubs again. It nearly bankrupted both clubs in the past.
Keep in mind that Port in the SANFL should have ended at the end of 96. It was the SANFL that forced the formation of the PAMFC and relocate them to Ethelton with separate administration.

Probably there’s more recent stats but google indicates that In terms of the salary cap, the standalone VFL clubs have $220k, WAFL has $200k and SANFL is $210k (in 2021 due to Covid measures though SANFL clubs had $400k before, and would presumably approach that level in the near future?). Seems to indicate that SANFL has generally had a higher salary cap from these 3 second tier leagues?

Would the SANFL become weaker or stronger if Crows and Port were to leave and join the VFL?

Unfortunately the VFL is simply a training and development league. Which is exactly what an AFL reserves comp would be also so not sure why anyone wants to watch that.
The WAFL and SANFL clubs priority is winning their state league. Huge difference.
Man you are so old and tired
Are you one of those old 80 year olds men still following the wafl ?

WA was always the second best footy state behind the vics for the most part, but we had stars, so SOO was created & lo & behold, WA beat the vics.
The mullets had some good years in the 90's, but by that stage SOO had died & the national comp ruled. After that whoever paid the most had the best comp

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don't think it'd effect the standard too much. Would be a boost to the comps integrity though.
How do they replace Port though?
Do they create a new entity called Port Adelaide and call them the Magpies?

Back