Preview WALL-e's 2011 Draft Analysis

Remove this Banner Ad

Murdoch is a kid who used to live near my home town I did some searching when I was home last with a mate. He was saying the kid has bolted into contention over the last two years. Put on some good bulk & really started to hit his straps when he moved from his hometown & got himself fully into the Glenelg system.

Don't know too much more on him, he was one of those kids who was friends of friends as I am about 3 years older. Have him on facebook but that'll probably change after Thursday when he gets drafted :p

If we do draft him though I'll talk to a few of my mates & see what else they can tell me about him.

I really want Micheal Talia.

All the write ups on him scream to me "Natural Full Back". We need someone to take over from Truck in the future and he is the man. But it sounds like he could play in a pocket from 2013 onwards till Truck retires as well.

Talias at FB and CHB has a nice ring to it. I would be comfortable if our "back six" circa 2014 was Talia, Talia, LT, Otten, Jeanch, Brown

I'm sold :D

Brilliant work as always WALL-e, I've found it difficult to follow the draft as closely this offseason since we don't get a pick until fairly late, so it's great to get a list of players we should keep our eye on!

Bring on Thursday! :p

On that note I've moved clay into 27 contention as word is a couple of teams are interested in the first round.

Great write up Wall-e:thumbsu:
Totally agree that Murdoch is a Del special. He would be behind others as my first pick at 27, but would really be hoping he might be around at 41 or 46.

Would like to snag a Murdoch in the 2nd round. Will be interesting, only got enough invites to go to state screening, so there's not a TON of interest.

Ilike how you dont mind the small guy walle. Great write up. Pumped for thursday

Ability > Height, but I do also like the tall mids. I like everyone :)

Great read, and very informative, WALL-e. :thumbsu:

Thoroughly enjoyed it and it'll be interesting to see if the slippery Mr Rendell takes any of those on Thursday, if available.

Knowing Del, we'll pick NONE of the forementioned. I could do write up's on 90% of the field and miss it :)

Great stuff Wall-e. I'd like to know how many times you smashed your head against the wall trying to figure out where player X will go in the draft, it's a nightmare.

Fair assessment on the lads. I was curious as to what your thoughts on Merrett was. I get the feeling that we're really stocking up on some strong mids, and that's what we need at the moment (Crouch, and Brown are both pretty strong). Also with Otten getting some form back, and getting stronger, it seems he's going to finally make a transition to the middle. However, I tend to think we're lacking some genuine outside speed. Unless Tambo is played in that area, we really just have Dmac (I don't think wing is the best position for Smith, and Shaw would be a beauty, but he needs to get his body right first).

Merrett intrigues me a fair bit. I see a fair bit of similarity to Pittard, and at 41/46 he might well worth it considering he's speed, like most of the guys in this draft, kicking isn't elite, but it's better than average, and with the change in our training regime, seeing Dmac and Smith put on size I'm sure we won't have too many skiny lads running around our club much longer.

The other guy who I wouldn't mind at 41/46 (For some reason I have a feeling we're going to call out Justin Clark at 27) is Jack Crisp, the boy has a fair bit of 'Umph' about him, with a bit of X and Hunt factor, and I know how much we love recruiting mids/utilities who are strong over head marks, skills aren't the greatest, but hey it's pick 41/46, but there is tools to work with, he just needs to learn to compose himself and and his disposal will improve.

Tough times to be a recruiter in this draft, but MR has it in the bag, with Crouch and Brown on deck.

Merrett is a smooth outside mid with good pace and aerobic ability. VERY light and a long way off physically, but has a good skill set. Breaks lines well, but needs to be able to find more of the footy as an outside mid. No point standing by yourself outside of packs not getting footy.

Will be around the mark at 41-46.

I like Crisp. Tall mid who despite not being that fast, mows down a lot of blokes, mainly due to his desire. Still very skinny, but his attack is good. Uses the ball by hand and foot well, though his action is weird, and is good overhead due to the missmatches he creates. Moves well in traffic, but his balance needs strengthening (core work). Decision making can be iffy and needs to solidify himself as an inside or out player. Bit of a floater at present, doing neither really well.

Another who will be around the 41-46 mark.

Murdoch is a kid who used to live near my home town I did some searching when I was home last with a mate. He was saying the kid has bolted into contention over the last two years. Put on some good bulk & really started to hit his straps when he moved from his hometown & got himself fully into the Glenelg system.

Don't know too much more on him, he was one of those kids who was friends of friends as I am about 3 years older. Have him on facebook but that'll probably change after Thursday when he gets drafted :p

If we do draft him though I'll talk to a few of my mates & see what else they can tell me about him.
He's an interesting one, one of a few who could go very early or late. Perfect draft for him.

I really want Micheal Talia.

All the write ups on him scream to me "Natural Full Back". We need someone to take over from Truck in the future and he is the man. But it sounds like he could play in a pocket from 2013 onwards till Truck retires as well.

Talias at FB and CHB has a nice ring to it. I would be comfortable if our "back six" circa 2014 was Talia, Talia, LT, Otten, Jeanch, Brown
He's a natural FB type, 1on1 contest lover, competetive and wants body contact. Can get beat by quick FF's though, and doesn't have Trucks kicking ability. But if he irons out his kicking, then he's a much better prospect.

He's a natural FB type, 1on1 contest lover, competetive and wants body contact. Can get beat by quick FF's though, and doesn't have Trucks kicking ability. But if he irons out his kicking, then he's a much better prospect.

I think this year and maybe next is the draft to get a natural FB on the list in time for Rutten's retirement. To be honest I thought Sellar could be that man. But he never showed enough competitive body contact. And blew his last chance at having a spot in the team.

Talia looks to be that kind of player.

Need to start thinking about life after Truck now. Thinking back to Bass as FB, and dont want a repeat of that. I think with the recruitment of Brown and Crouch we have quality mids/flankers covered for this draft. Talia is a bit of a rare breed.

6 tl;dr's
ofcourseyour128652334783454331.jpg

What did those two guys do growing up, handball to each other in the backyard?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not onl uses his left, but is balanced, comfortable and efficient with it.

If he were more a 'pure' mid or a 'pure KPP' he'd go a lot higher. Then again Goddard went #1 and he's a utility.

Couple more players coming (may be trying to cover field in even of I told you so :))

Remove this Banner Ad

Back