WALL-e

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Magic, Sturt, Ravens, Duke
Apologies for the egomaniac have my own thread thing, but there’s a bit too much to post to lob it in elsewhere. I’m going to add to this up until the draft so stay tuned. Please feel free to ask questions.

First off a disclaimer for all you lovely folk out there. I live in Melbourne. This means I unfortunately don’t get as much exposure as I’d like to the interstate boys, including SA, besides champs and some tapes. In addition my work has kept me away from the U18s a bit this year so I won’t be as thorough on the field as I’d like to be, more honing in on the boys I like (no homo) and players I have tracked. It won’t touch on everything I want to as some things are best kept to myself at this stage. If I’ve seen a bad game from a player who’s played well in other games, it will hurt my views, visa-versa. Also, as I watch VFL a bit, you’ll see a tendency to put these blokes in as well.

Anyway, here goes nothing. I hope it’s of some use to you footy tragics, please don’t take it as gospel, it’s just my brief opinion on some players, our situation and what I’ve seen.

Favourites:

If you know my draft tendencies, you’ll likely know who will pop up here. I have a penchant for the small man (still have wood over PRESTIA), as well as athleticism, X Factor, upside and aggressive players. Please keep in mind these are not guys I think we’ll get, not a list of ‘best’ players, just an assortment of blokes I like (hmmmm again no homo).

Chad WINGARD – SA – Mid – 18yo – 182cmI’m a little unsure as to what GWS’s issue with Wingard is. Clearly a top 3 player in this draft and I’d probably take him with #1. Perhaps they have issues with his bodies durability or his repeat concussions, but you have that many picks in this draft, take this kid you knobs.

He’s still slight, but he’s a very silky and smart player. Couple with that his ability to make good decisions by foot and his attack on the ball and you have a very well rounded player. Dominated the jumping at camp and put in very good agility times, I think he was a little underdone which affected his sprint, but he still went sub 3.

Could play anywhere during his career, small forward, HBF, wing, but too talented not to end up in the middle, where his evasiveness, quick hands and decisions will come to the fore. Should be top three and thus well out of our thoughts.

Draft Range – 3-6

Toby GREENE – VIC – Mid – 18yo – 181cmI love this little kid, perhaps my favourite in this draft and before explaining him, I’ll explain why. Watching him during the champs I saw him win a contested ball, feed his team mate by quick hand, push HARD to the next contest after the ball was cleared, get to the next stoppage where his team mate was tackled hard, ball spilled, he gets it, side-steps two and another smart release handball, followed by a quick mouth off and push to the bloke who got his team mate, before following up again to the next stoppage. That’s Toby in a nutshell. Competitive, fiery, work horse.

His standout features are his nose for the footy (don’t have the stats on me, but he would have averaged in the 30’s for the champs, school footy and TAC footy all year), his evasiveness (something that doesn’t show up in agility testing) and his hands. His decision by hand and how soft and quick they are make him very suited to modern midfield roles where decisions are split second and quick handballs are constantly fired out. His handball receives are elite, ala Brad CROUCH, where he will run to the perfect spot to receive the next one. His work rate is fantastic, shown with a shuttle of 15.15 and a 3km of 3.27, both excellent for his age. Couple his work rate with his competitiveness and you’ve got a bloke that won’t quit on you, There’s a bit of Rory Sloane about this kid, gets the job done and with a spunk that doesn’t come off as arrogant, but as a neutral supporter you say ‘damn I like that boy’.

I’m pretty sure Brisbane are keen with 8, Port have interest at 6 and GWS want to snare him. Not in our range but one to keep an eye out for as a kid who’s fun to watch (unless he goes to Port).

Draft Range – 4-8

Hayden CROZIER – Vic – Fwd/Mid – 17yo – 185cm
I’ve made it no secret I like this kid. I can understand all the concerns over his consistency and pure fire, but seriously is too talented to fall near us (unfortunately). I’d have taken Greene then Crozier at 10 if we had it.

Just scraping in to this years draft crop, and underdeveloped even for his age group, he’s still very raw. Yes he's never torn a game open, or put in consistent stretches of the season where he's been up and going the whole time, but he's still 17 (will be for a couple more months), was forced to play in a poor Rangers squad, often filling holes and playing all over the shop (Key Forward, Key Back, Wing, Mid forward, Mid Back....Mid), then slotting into a Metro squad with more than enough rangy flanker with a game plan centred around a man mountain. He's not had the best of chances to really get his consistency going. Still averaged 18.7 touches at 67% for the Rangers, which isn't too bad for a stop gap flanker.

Forget 'The Mark'.....no wait, don't, because that wouldn't be doing justice to what a ripper that was. But that sums up Hayden, he got the Metro boys going with that piece of flair, then stuck it down Greene's throat to share the wealth. Very grounded lad who knows exactly where he is in his development and what he needs to do. He understood his endurance needed work last year, he then put in a 73rd percentile shuttle run. He understands he's underweight, that will be fixed (in time.... ).

What really gets me going about Crozier is how well he does everything, without being the old 'jack of all trades, master of none'. He uses both feet, both hands, uses the ball very well, makes good decisions, impacts the game, understands defensive football. It's all there ready to explode. He has a knowledge of where things are, like all good footballers, and this, along with his speed, agility and desire to stay on his toes (probably for fear of becoming road kill) gives him time with the ball, which heightens his decision making.

From an athletic point of view, he's the crem de la crem of this years draft. 85% 5 meter, 89% 10 and 95th percentile 20 meter. 94th percentile agility. 76th percentile repeats. The best right foot running vert. I mentioned his improved endurance before.

I see him going a bit earlier than the phantoms around here unfortunately, in the teens, so again this is a favourite we won’t see.

Draft Range – 10-20 (though the Walrus goes earlier)

Devon SMITH – Vic – Mid/Fwd – 18yo – 174cm
As with Toby Greene, Smith has that ‘spunk’ about him. It’s that aggressive, competitive workhorse thing…..something I obviously value I guess. Devon really had an impressive start to the year, before having an ‘ok’ champ series and ‘ok’ end of the year at the Falcons, where things were hard for everyone involved.

His value isn’t his height (smallest at DC), but his other athletic testing was ALL high. Good vert, fast 5, 10 and 20 (87th percentile) as well as a 15.23 shuttle, 10.28 3k and VO2max of 64.8 which is superb. That elite endurance and speed combo means if he was 184cm instead of 174cm, he goes EARLY. But alas, he’s short, and as such will likely develop into a mid/fwd at best, or more likely, the Jaryd Blair type Fwd/Mid.

When you watch this lad play, you really do appreciate his game. Again like Greene, he has a nose for the footy, a desire to be at EVERY stoppage and watch out if the little fella gets his mits on you in a tackle (anyone see him tear down the BIG Brody GRUNDY? Hilarious!). It’s this prospect that I like, he has defensive forward ability, meaning if he does fail as a mid, he has the desire and ability to play as a small forward. He has a solid nose for the goal (as shown with a bag of 6 in the chips) without being Rioli like at all, and a solid array of skill by hand and foot, but they both need work. His decision making also needs a touch of polish.

He’s sure to be one who will have at least 5 recruiters saying ‘my boy’ which makes me believe he’ll be snapped up a bit before our pick, so yet another who we likely won’t have to know much about :(

Draft Range – 8-20

Sam FROST – VIC – KPD – 18yo – 194cm
As far as Key Defenders go…..well you’re looking at maybe the best, maybe the 5th best, depending on your personal views and what you want in a KPD. TOMLINSON is probably the best KPD in the draft, but FROST is right behind, with tools TOMLINSON doesn’t poses (though he would like some of his).

First, his background. A lot is being made about his volleyball background, but alas, he is not a convert, he’s a sport nut, like everyone else in his family. He also played Netball….basketball as well, but was playing footy the whole time and made that his sole objective when the time came. We can all have a laugh about his ‘dig’ during a game, but we’re not teaching him from scratch.

Key advantages of Mr FROST. Easy, his athleticism. Don’t get all ants in the pants, not pure footballer etc etc, because most defenders don’t starts as KPD’s anyway, they learn. Sam didn’t compete in the testing stage of DC, but you can bet he would have tested VERY well. He’s very quick off the mark, agile, long, big jump and all the lovely things ‘upside’ people like me get their jollies off about. His second big advantage is his desire to hurt the opposition. Not fly kick in the head style, but to take off and rebound. There are very few KPF’s in the game who have the defensive desire to keep the reigns on this bloke and he’ll have fun burning off blokes when his time comes.

That said, he’ll probably produce a few MATTNER type cringes and he bursts off his man to see nothing but field ahead of him at times, but you can teach him when to go and can tone him down easier than tone him up. He’s also got to put on a few KG’s to get to AFL weight, which judging by his frame, shouldn’t be an issue. He’s also got to tidy up the disposal. It isn’t horrid, but it’s definitely not a strong point of his game.

He reads the ball well, indicating he could perhaps play some 3rd tall at the beginning of his career, but ultimately I think a run away CHB role would be suitable.

He has a very high range in this draft, based on need. Could go in the teens, could go in the 40’s, depending on which teams want KPD’s. He is however, by default, in our 27 pick range. And, as has been recently been brought to this boards attention, we are interested and have been keeping a keen eye.

Draft Range – 14-41

Brad HILL- WA – Mid/Utility – 18yo – 179cm
HILL is one of the man, man, many players in this draft with glaring deficiencies to his game. However, he’s one of the few with MASSIVE ticks to categories you have to love, such as pace, agility, endurance, leap and anything else DC had a category for. Mr Draft Camp.

Had my eye on Hill from just before the champs and he had a solid champ series and an epic DC. There’s results you can’t ignor.

He's not a big body, and by that I mean he's small, very small. Height isn't too bad for a wingman, but man he's light. He's got a lot of work to do in the gym, even more so than Stephen. Most years he would have probably slid to the rookie draft for this reason....because you won't see him much for a while until he's more developed, but this year gambles are going to come early.

I'll real off his combine highlights. The lowest skinfold of anyone at camp. Not only is there minimal muscle on him, there's NO fat. Excellent hand span for his height and pretty long arms which will help with aerial contests long term. He also hit the 78th percentile in the running right foot vertical. THE quickest man at camp over 5, 91st percentile over 10 and 96th percentile over 20. 88th percentile in the agility. So like his brother, he's lightning fast and can turn on a dime. Also put in a record breaking (for a weeks or so I guess ) shuttle run, breaking 16 and the best 3km time trial at 9.52. That's already AFL elite standard.

So off the bat you've got a player who has elite speed, agility, quickness and distance running. There the ingredients you want when you're cooking up some wingman stew.

When you see him play, there's obvious comparison to his brother, just you won't see it over the entire course of the game. What you will see at this stage is a flash where you say wow, then he'll go missing for a bit. He needs to learn how to impact a game over the entire course of proceedings as well as fine ways to get involved if things aren't working (like Stephen does). He also needs to up his desire for hard footy and learn the ‘tricks’ of being an outside mid. This is ok, because this pick is a 2 year lock away anyway while he puts on weight and core strength.

His skills are good. They're not in Stephen's category of being extremely good, but they're good. He needs to work on ways to find more loose footy to capitalise on this, really learning when to take off, when to push in and all the fun things you can learn by watching hours upon hours of Dale Thomas tape......and that's what he will do. Dare I say you bring him in against the Pies to run with him and learn. I'm half serious about that too.

He’s another that will polarise both people on BF and recruiters. Could go anywhere from 21 to 50, really hard to pinpoint, but he’s another that will be in our range.

Draft Range – 21-55

Murray NEWMAN – WA – Mid/Fwd – 18yo – 179cmI believe Newman may go a little earlier than some phantoms have him. I think he’s a first round prospect in this draft and someone will like what they see.

He’s a very quick and agile slight kid who, despite his size, attacks the footy with disregard. His best attributes would be his balance, evasiveness, pace and use/decision with the footy. He hits his targets well on his trusty left foot and is ‘capable’ of darting them in. At the moment his kick has a little arc on it, but it’s more a control thing.

He breaks lines well as a mid, and uses his agility, hardness and balance to be Pendlebury-esque at times. Ultimately, I can’t see him ever stacking on the serious weight required to play in the guts of an AFL game, so he’ll likely end up in the Sharrod WELLINGHAM role as a wing who pushes into stoppages. Early on in his career, you’ll see a GARTLETT role. Using his pace, foot skills and evasiveness to push up from HFF and damage on the way back.

Solid around goals and this, along with his attack on the ball, team work and desire to tackle will make him able to play as a small forward early on in his career. As I said I think he’s a first round prospect, but I think he could be available at 27.

Draft Range – 14-30

Alex FORSTER – SA – Utility – 18yo – 189cmFORSTER really caught my eye at the champ games with his really top line 1%ers. Now for some that may sound a bit like a who gives a flying ****, but it’s a trait that really gives players the ability to make it at AFL level. When you’re a good team mate, you have a massive leg up.

There’s a thought out there that he’s a bit of a jack of all trades, master of none, but he’s almost a master of being a jack of all trades…..if that makes sense.

Initially I was a bit off-put as to where he would play. He played the 3rd tall/lose defender role very well, but he may not have the height/bulk to do so in the big leagues. He’s a touch on the slow side to get too involved in the middle at this stage, but that’s where he’d want to ultimately end up I imagine, in some sort of inside mid role.

There’s nothing flashy about FORSTER, he just goes about his business. He’s a good tackler, leaves his man well on defence, reads the play very well and makes good decisions with the footy. A coach’s player. At the end of the game you say ‘yeah he played pretty well’ without noticing him a whole lot during. Even his kicks, while effective, aren’t flashy, they spin in a workman like way, I’m not actually sure how he does it.

Late first to second round, so in line with our picks.

Draft Range – 18-38

Jack FROST – VIC – KPD – 19yo – 194cmJack was unlucky to miss out last year on a rookie spot and has since been playing for Willy in the VFL. First off, he’s really got a lot of learning to do, mostly on how to play as a KPD, when to be where is a big thing for him and he needs confidence stat! He’s got a great frame to be a long term KPD when he puts weight on (needs it) and his athleticism is like his brothers…elite.

His kicking needs some work, mostly his confidence while he kicks. You can actually tell he’s being tentative with the ball. BACK YOURSELF IN SON! He’s coming off a hip surgery which he’s just had so this will apparently increase his athleticism…..wait wot? Will be a cougar out there if it does.

He’s a competitive beast like his brother, getting in tackles, throwing the body around etc, but REALLY, REALLY needs to learn the game, and with that grow his confidence in himself that he is good enough. His terrific closing speed and long arms give that FLETCHER style where did he come from spoils.

He’ll likely be around in the RD, but someone may go late-ish draft, I’d be browsing at #64.

Tom SUNDBERG – VIC – Mid - 22yo – 184cmTom really shot out of the blue this year with some scintillating form for the Collingwood VFL team. To put into terms what I mean about his form, he played 13 matches in the H&A season, garnering 11 bests and 11 goals. Of his 11 bests, 5 were best on, 3 were second best and the remaining 3 were third best. That's form. Injury slowed him down in the later part of the year and stopped him from doing testing at State Screening.

I'll get my little over the top player comparison out of the way, but he reminds me a Dane Swan a lot. Burst speed, ability to stand up in tackles, the un-football like shape of his body and straight-back run and the get it done style in which he conducts himself.

Over the top comparisons aside, Tom's calling card this year has been his work rate and ability to get on the end of loose footy. He takes off at the right times and works his ass of to find space. To compliment his hard running and good footy IQ are his good disposal (can be a tad loopy, but always hits its mark) and more importantly his decision making. He understands where to put the footy so his team mates can run onto it, this is both by hand and foot. It's incredibly frustrating to see the amount of current players who kick where their team mates are, and not where they will or should be. Also uses both sides of the body, though the right foot is 'workman like'

Like SWAN (oh crap I did it again), besides being an outside mid because their nose for the footy and work rate, most of his good work is done in close. He has very quick hands and a quicker decision making ability in close. He'll whip a handball out in a flash to the right spot, and has the core strength and natural built to get the hard footy and bully his way about in tight, as well as stand up in tackles while options open.

He has an aggressive mind set in the way he plays his footy (see all my picks ) where he's taking off quick, getting to dangerous spots and looking to use the center as much as he can. He's a big fan of gut running in wave down the center and linking by handball. Very good team mate as he'll give it off when appropriate. That said, he loves getting on the end of a shot at the sticks as he's pretty accurate around goals with a nose for the big one.

He is about to turn 23 later this year, so despite being a late bloomer, there isn't freak upside. He's also not extremely tall for the 'modern day' mid and will no longer be able to bully people like in the VFL. However I believe he has more than enough AFL tools and is far too good for a second tier league. Will play senior footy next year and will get the coach and players onside quick.

He’ll probably go late this draft, or RD. One I’d consider with #46, #64 or RD.

Pick 27:

The list of what actually could be available here is pretty large, I won’t be able to hit off on all the potential sliders, so I’ll leave them alone and give them a write up come post draft should there be any need. Even without the sliders, it’s a large even field here and what we do will depend on need and key areas we’re targeting in terms of attributes. That said, here’s a list of guys likely to be around who are of interest.

Brad McKENZIE – SA – Mid – 18yo - 188cm
McKENZIE is a midfielder in the mould of an Andy OTTEN. He uses his agility and decision making to hide his lack of pace. He has one of the best kicks in the draft, and despite being loopy at times, it hits target after target.

He had a mixed bag at DC, he showed his agility as elite, but showed his poor sprints, very poor VO2 max and endurance and extremely poor repeat sprints. And this is his major question mark. He’s an outside mid without pace or endurance, and despite his very good decision making and kick, he’ll need to tune up one of those qualities (endurance likely) to remain on an AFL list.

Not focusing on camp results though and he becomes a better prospect as he has a lot of versatility. Just the fact I’ve mentioned versatile and all mid automatically places him in contention for our pick as that screams Rendell.

His versatility shines when he’s matched up against a smaller wing and as he’s quite strong overhead, with a very long wingspan, he controls aerial balls.

He has the decision making to play off HBF if needed, and could play the third tall defensively once he puts on some weight, but long term he should be a wing. He really does need to lift his endurance, but like many in this draft, he’s a 2 year prospect. Quite frankly there’s not a whole lot of mids with damaging decision making and use, so he’ll go early.

Draft Range – 14-27

Murray NEWMAN
Refer to favourite’s write up.

Tom SHERIDAN – Vic – mid – 18yo – 185cm
Tom pushed his way into the Metro squad this year with some very good showings in the TAC Cup, using his elite endurance levels, team orientation and good decisions to become one of Vics best mids.

Tom already runs a sub 10 minute 3km and has an elite VO2max score. This is evident when you watch him play and see him ALWAYS on the move, no matter how slow, always on the toes.

His decision making by foot is good, and disposal by foot is solid, without being that real ‘damaging’ type, it’s effective. His strong suit is his disposal and decisions by hand, pointing to his ability to play as an inside mid as well as outside runner. He has an appetite for a contest that defies his size and works really well as an inside out mid.

However, he will get bulldozed in the AFL anywhere near a pack despite his intentions to be hard at a contest, so he’s yet another who’s long term inside out, ala Brodie Smith. He’s not a line breaker, and he’d do well to work on the high twitch muscles to get the sprint up higher to compliment his endurance. Fit enough to do day 1, with the decisions as well, but needs weight fast.

Draft Range – 20-35

Elliott KAVANAGH (long shot) – Vic – Mid – 18yo – 185cm
Very long shot here, but as I’ve touched on other VERY long shots in SMITH and CROZIER, I may as well add another at our pick. Seeing as he’s made no friends during interviews, or his father hasn’t, there’s always that 1% chance (not really, Essendon are all over him).

He’s a footballer. You see it straight away when you watch him, it’s why he was a likely top 5 pick last year before his injuries threw some clouds. But he’s not going to slide that far, he’s too much of a high pay off and GWS should really entertain the ability to select him.

I’m a little miffed as to his DC results, and I call handbrake here. There’s no way he runs over 3 seconds on the 20, no way, and his agility results shouldn’t be ‘that’ poor. BS, and I’m calling you out HIRD. I think quite a reputation is being built early in that coaches career…. Anyway that’s neither here nor there in relation to KAVANAGH.

This kid uses bother feet, very solid disposal, good use by hands, attacks the play very well and has burst pace on the field, not to mention a balance with the ball that makes him difficult to tackle. Top 10 in this draft easy, but the injury and interview question marks could see a result further down. Something just doesn’t add up.

Pure mid with very nice height, all the tools and competitive. Should go earlier than he will, and a snowflakes chance we’ll get him…..but why not include him here?

Draft Range – 9-19

Michael TALIA – Vic – KPD – 18yo – 192cm
TALIA was very deserving of his AA Guernsey from the champs. He provided the pure defensive characteristics that you want from a FB in your team. 1%ers, discipline, competitiveness.

I’ll start with what I love about TALIA, and that’s the 1%ers as a defender that don’t get stats. He’s throwing in little spoils, chops out team mates, even things like tap-on’s or flicks with the foot at the bottom of the pack that gets the ball out. He also has a good ability to read the ball and that’s paramount as a defender.

Onto what’s missing. First and most importantly, his drop of the footy is horrid. Arms are going everywhere, high release, not balanced, weight not forward, it’s a thing of horror to watch and subsequently his kicking is poor and it makes his decision making look worse than what it is.

His standout from DC was the first 5 and 10 meters in the sprint, also key for a KPD, the ability to stick your man on the lead and close him. Didn’t stand out anywhere else at DC, good or bad. Leap is average meaning he’ll be a body contact fan and need to learn the subtleties of sticking your rear end into someone like BOCK does beautifully. His agility is OK and endurances is OK. This is probably the theme of TALIA, he’s OK. He’ll probably make it as an AFL player for a bit. Not a massive risk, not a monumental pay off, but could turn into a real dependable type. If he irons out his kicking issues he could be quite a nice player. But I’m not sure if he’ll ever be able to develop the amazing side of his defence to be a ‘gun’. But we’re talking pick 27 in a poor draft, what ‘gun’?

Draft Range – 20-45

Shane NELSON – WA – Mid –18yo - 177cm
I was close to including NELSON in my favourites as he’s quick, agile and a small mid. Screams a WALL-e lad to me. He’ll likely go a lot earlier than what the BF folk will think. He’s a first round talent in my eyes because of what he has to add now and more importantly, in the future. He’s one of those lads with deficiencies you can live with.

Onto his strong points, he’s quick (2.87 - 30), bloody agile and has very good endurance (though he didn’t test at DC). The pure combination of elite speed and endurance should get him into the first round on default. Add to this he’s far more aggressive and effective at stoppages than people give him credit for, he’s very good at finding outside footy and you have a well balanced mid. He makes very good decisions with the ball (29/30 in DC kicking) by foot and hand, has solid kicking (needs more distance and hurt, but decision making makes it good), and solid hands.

He can be a little erratic just with the way he’s always at 100%, sometimes thinking about the next move too early, and he’s short and skinny, likely having to start his career as a small forward. A bit like a more competitive, hungrier Jahran JACKY.

What stands out to me, before how well rounded he is, is the fire he has when he plays. He wants it.

Draft Range – 20-35

Brandon ELLIS – Vic – Mid/Def – 18ya – 181cm
If your team drafts this kid, you’ll love him, his team mates will love him and the guy he’s playing on will loath him. Mr Business, he just does work, no flash, no time for that.

Brandon’s strong points to his game is mainly cantered around his head. He has a footy players head. Not in the fact it’s shaped differently, but he’s got a hard man mindset, team orientated mindset and a good decision maker who remains cool under pressure.

Please don’t let all the ‘Mr Business’ hard team orientated stuff sell him short, he’s a good footy player too, his use by hand and foot is solid on both sides of the body, hits targets very efficiently and he remains cool allowing himself to hold onto the footy for the extra second to dispose of it properly.

His camp results were mainly impressive with his VERY good vertical leap and agility results, along with good endurance testing. He’s not the quickest cat, but his smarts can make up for that mostly.

I would like to see him develop an attacking flair to his game, wanting to impact offensively as well, get ahead of the ball or go into the middle and harm. Will have to work on that a bit, as well as tackling his kicking from efficient, to damaging.

Will start his career off the HBF as a defensive type, but should move into the middle as he has bulk, aggression and tackles well. Just needs to work on midfield smarts and that damaging aspect.

Draft Range – 14-28

Alex FORSTER

Todd ELTON – Vic – Fwd/Ruck – 18yo – 197cm
Todd’s a bit of a smokey (for us) here. He’s very much an upside pick and could be a high reward for whoever picks him. At the moment though, he’s a bit like watching a 17yo boy trying to lose his virginity. He has all the tools, the right idea, but just doesn’t know what to do or when.

His DC results are tantelising for a 197cm kid. He recorded a very good leap result, ran a 2.93 (elite for height), an 8.26 agility (top 25%....at 197cm), has good length and tested very well in the clean hands test. His endurance needs work, as does his weight, but so so much upside.

As a player his key features are his soft hands. This makes him a very good mark of the footy, very clean below his knees (elite for height) and one touch. Very rare in his height to have his soft hands. Also makes him an effective tap ruck when he knows where to put it. His right foot kick is very long, clears a lot of distance with that bad boy.

He does need to up his endurance though, nowhere near match level yet, nor is his body weight. Not only that, but he has to learn how to use his frame and height to his advantage instead of standing under the ball drop zone waiting patiently. Needs to use his ass, fund contact more often because at AFL level, being tall isn’t enough.

He’ll settle as a KPF, but has 2nd ruck tools written all over him and that’s vital in today’s game. With his midfield like athleticism, clean hands, he could be very tempting despite no real pressing need.

Draft Range – 14-32

Jordan MURDOCH – SA – Fwd/Mid – 19yo – 189cm
Oh god does this kid scream Rendell. He’s made it known that he has no problems with kids coming in at 19 and the drafting age should be bumped, he’s LIGHTNING quick, he’s known, but not too known, he has upside, he’ll end up a tall mid…..dare I say ‘could play anywhere’….MR special.

I’ll start with his screening results. He’s long (though funnily enough small hands), has a nice vertical, especially running, runs a 2.76…..**** me sideways that’s quick, solid agility, good repeat sprints but poor endurance.

He’s a rangy left footer who takes the game on, has a nice kicking length with very nice accuracy, makes good decision and has solid aggression and tackling.

He needs to work on his puppy fat and endurance levels as this keeps him out of the game a bit and makes him flashy rather than consistent. Also needs to work on the IQ and knowing where to be and when if he’s top push into the middle.

Will likely start as a HFF, but I like him on the wing once he ups the endurance. Could have been in my favourites for sure.

Draft Range – 25-41

Sam KERRIDGE– Vic – Mid/Fwd – 18yo - 188cm
Sam was a very interesting case this year. I'm not sure if he upset the selectors of country, but he was good enough to get VFL games later into the year giving him good experience.

He has some tantelising athletic characteristic, he's tall, well built, long, good leap, quick (sub 3 second 20), agile (30th percentile) with a 10 minute 3km run. They're a good set of attributes that compliment each other.

He's hard at the footy, takes the game on and loves a sausage roll. He also has an ability to play inside out, finding both contested footy (10pg) and uncontested (14pg).

His downfall is his poise and decision making outside the 50. He's erratic and needs to take a step to slow and take his time. His kicking style is fine and long, but his accuracey is hurt by the fact he's going too fast for himself in his head. He needs a fair bit of polish in his overall game, but should he develop that softness and class, then his other attributes will shine. Can see him going early if someone's seen his best a lot, but could slide with his lack of champ exposure. I can see someone jumping on this bloke and really thinking they've got a winner because if he polishes up, he'll be nice and shiney!

Draft Range - 18-38

Clay SMITH – Vic – Mid – 18yo – 180cm
He’s unlikely to be around here and could even come into contention with pick 27, such is this draft.

God I like Country boys (again…you know), he’s such an annoying little s**t to play on. He averaged 17 CONTESTED touches along with 4 tackles at the champs. He’s a little short, but go tell him and he’ll probably tackle you. Nothing too flashy about Clay, he likes clearing the ball with a big left foot round house hack out of the center and then follows it up by chasing it down and tackling someone.

He’s non-stop, would have been a nightmare child ‘Clay put that down! No don’t tackle to dog’ type thing. He’ll lay one tack and stay on his feet and just continue going after the footy. You have to admire those players with his level of desire.

He has lovely endurance, VERY quick first 5 meters into a good 10 and average 20. Very agile, but not a great leap or long etc.

His downfalls are his height, kicking distance is an issue, not to mention his action is weird (effective enough- looks like B SMITH without distance) and his polish. He’s an inside mid at TAC level, but he’s not going to be big enough at AFL early on to do that and be as good a tackler as he is at the moment. Will have to strengthen up.

Will likely start his career as a defensive small forward, or even a back pocket. But he should end up in the middle, it’s where he belongs, he just needs to get the weight and poise up to AFL level.

Draft Range – 18-30

Picks 41 & 46:

We’re delving into unknown territory here. Rookie Draft stuff. I’d personally go all upside or mature here, get rid of the safe bet types who are better players than their peers now, but won’t ever be AFL level. Target aggression, athleticism, skill, something where there is AFL standard. Try and hit players with deficiencies you can work on, like endurance, knowledge etc.

Josh WALDHUTER – SA – Mid – 18yo – 183cm
Angry man is angry. Mr Tackle seems to be a popular one on this board because his aggression and ability to pin arms in tackles is a lovely thing to watch.

First off, besides the tackling, I was surprised to see Josh’s DC testing results. His 5 meter spring is EXCELLENT, before dropping to average 10 and then somehow going to a good 20 at sub 3…strange but the first five is a lot better than I thought. He also has very good agility and strangely large hands, all things, along with his aggression, that explain his tackle sticking ability.

He’s an inside mid for the tackling reason, along with his ability to clear hard footy. There’s not much finesse about him at all, nor does he have a very sexy kick on him. He needs a lot of polish to get to AFL standard, but you’d rather start with a player with his competitiveness and aggression and build in smarts and poise, than the other way. Not a softy fan.

His endurance needs work. He’s not versatile enough to get away with a small tank by playing in flank positions, he needs a PS ot two to get it up to where he can play midfield rotation.

Draft Range – 30-45

Brad HILL

Marley WILLIAMS – WA – Fwd/Mid – 18yo – 181cm
There’s a lot to like about young Marley. Mostly is his agility and explosiveness along with his balance and ability to somehow win contested ball.

While he currently plays as a wing into forward line, I see him as a small forward should he neaten up a few things about his game and find a right foot. His first 5 meters of a sprint is pure explosive and gives him that space when crumbing. His ability to turn on a dime and break gives him first look at the footy when there’s a sudden change of direction or drop.

He does need to do a fair bit of work on his right and polishing his long left foot so it hits more targets, but the tools are there. He gets to dangerous positions and shows a desire to damage. He finds time and space with those athletic tools and is one touch by hand. Once those feet sharpen up, he’ll be a dangerous player in the forward line.

Draft Range – 35-60

Michael BUSSEY – Vic – KPP – 18yo – 197cm
All in all the Bus has been a bit of a disappointment. AIS graduate with so many tools but none of the output as yet…..I’m starting to find a lot of patterns with Rangers players of late.

Really comes off as a poor confidence case to me, as he doesn’t really have the natural maniac competitiveness of a Toby GREENE, he second guesses himself too much and doesn’t realise he could be a very good player.

He has a nice length and good leap giving him aerial advantage, a good 30 meter spring, solid agility, though he has poor endurance.

He has played a lot of his junior career as a forward because of his damaging tools, but I’d have him as a KPD. Because he’s not naturally assertive, a more reactive position could benefit him. He has FLETCHER like athletic credentials and body shape and his kicking is solid.

Needs confidence, but has more tools than those who will go before him.

Draft Range – 30-48

Henry SCHADE – Tas – KPD – 18yo – 196cm
Skinny Tas boy who would have the best use by foot of any KPD, perhaps KPP in the draft.

Best part of Henry’s game is his left foot. It’s very ‘tidy’, and he makes very good decisions with it. He’s one of the KPD’s you feel comfortable kicking in with or making decisions with deep in defence. He has a good leap and ok speed for his size, without being blinding. He’s long and aggressive, but still has work to do on the defensive nuances of AFL football to compliment his ability to attack.

He’s very skinny and is another project player. He reads the ball pretty well, but can get caught out reading the footy and not his man. Without being super agile or quick, not to mention skinny, he gets caught on the lead playing KPD at the moment and would need some gym work before he can come in as maybe a third tall (can get away with it due to foot skills), before developing into a KPD.

His foot skills and decision makings will prop him into calculations at a mid level area of this draft, despite him being a long term prospect.

Draft Range – 35-55

Tom SUNDBERG

Alex WOODWARD – Vic – Fwd/Mid – 18yo – 175cm
Another shorty, but he’s a small forward so it’s not too worrying.

It’s easy to like Alex because of the way he attacks the football. He goes at it like it was the last meal he’d ever get. Doesn’t worry about himself being tiny, he’s getting the footy and feeding his team mates.

He’s got nice quick hands, they can be a little hard at times but it’s more his overexcitement causing issues as he’s always going full bore. He’s spent the majority of his junior career as an inside mid, but due to his height and frame he’ll likely have to develop as a small forward. He has plenty of pace to do so with a sub 1 second first 5 meters and 2.89 30 meter.

His endurance is rather poor, but his VO2max levels are quite good, so he has the tools to bump that endurance right up. He’ll have to polish the kicking up a lot to become a small forward, but he could start as a defensive forward pretty quickly due to his aggressive nature and team orientation.

Draft Range – 40-RD

Andrew BOSELEY - Vic - KPD - 19yo - 192cmHe's an overage boy with about an extra 9 months on the average draft age, but he's still very underdeveloped physically and has a long way to go. Doesn't have the frame to become a gorilla, but has the long lean Fletcher type (not that skinny long term) frame that enables him to use his length to get an arm in there.

The first thing that stands out about Boseley to me is his ability to read the flight of the footy, which is paramount for a key defender. The ability to get to or protect the space a split second before your opponent makes all the difference. This also allows him to be aggressive with his defense and help out others. Coupled with his ball reading ability is his athletic attributes, he's quick. 89th percentile over 5, 94th percentile over 10 and 85th percentile over 20. He also has a very usefull leap and very good endurance for his height. This speed off the mark and more importantly over the 10 allows him to close down leads, getting his long arms into the way.

The next thing you'll notice about him is his aggressive style of play. He attacks the ball in the air, backs his read of the play and then decides he's off to the races. Attack attack attack! He'll be a tiresome opponent for a CHF or FF in the long term because you'll bet your bottom dollar if you don't chase, he'll hurt you. He's looking to make you accountable and he's looking to put opposition under pressure. That aggressive mind set in the air and desire to attack gives off a Brian Lake-ness about him. He's marking the ball, then he's going to rebound. He featured in the best 7 times for the poor Falcons (good for a defender in a rubbish side) including a best one performance against Patton.

His weaknesses you'll see (besides being a ginger.... ) are first of all his weight. He needs to meet a gym and chicken. with that gained strength, his aggression wil thrive and he won't be bullied by AFL size KPF's (fortunately for him, he has the athleticism to play 3rd tall for a while). Secondly are his disposal and decision making. They're by no means Raph Clarke, but it would compliment him so well if he became a very good user and decision maker rather than an 'ok' one. He could be a Bock type CHB with his mindset, he just needs to tidy up a few things and become more polished.

As far as Adelaide are comcerned, he's a long term KPD prospect to account for the departures of Bock, David and Stevens the past two years. Rutten would only have 2-4 left in him so to stack up on developmental talls now would be a good idea.

Draft Range – 30-60

Aaron HALL – Tas – Mid/Fwd – 20yo – 186cm
He’s a bit of a roughie here, he’s an over-aged kid playing TSL.

He’s a very aggressive (think there was attitude problems, think of the past) athletic HFF who has a good attack on the footy and a very nice attacking mindset. He could go anywhere in this draft, but you could stick your neck out here because of upside (sorry about the continued use of that word).

His foot skills are quite solid on both sides of his body but the decision making needs a lot of work. He’s very good overhead and creates a match-up problem against most. He has a good leap, very agile and is quick. Loves a goal and tacking the game on but needs to become more a team player. He has a lot of tools to build on but is missing the right mindset at times. Needs a kick up the ass to realise the way to go about playing team footy and the way to attack his training.

High reward type who I wouldn’t mind throwing a late pick at, but many will want to see him in the VFL/SANFL/WAFL before looking too hard as the TSL isn’t fantastic (though it’s hard as nails).

Draft Range – 45-RD

Eliott YEO– WA – Mid/Fwd – 18yo – 189cm
I may be stretching with his chances of being around at 41, we may even take him at 27.

This kid makes running quick look easy, he just does it. You have Patty D, who looks like he's a caged bull when he sprints and Elliott's the opposite. Glides with long strides.

He's a smooth moving, EXTREMELY agile, athletic, quick outside mid with good skills on both sides of the body. His decision making is good, however is can be slow, meaning his split second choices need improvement to make an impact at AFL level. He's very quick, recording a 2.91 at DC and had the best agility score and standing verticle score. This makes his overhead ability very good and provides that mismatch on the outside.

He needs to up the endurance to be the outside mid he can be, as well as increasing his ability to find outside ball. He has all the other tools to be an outside mid with pace, agility, skills and decision making in space. Just needs to find a way to burn his man dry and get open. Understanding of when to be where also needs improvement. Another who I'd stick on Dale Thomas for a match to get to know the business.

Really think he could be something, but it's up to his desire. He also has some weight to stack on. One to watch in terms of development.

Draft Range – 20-45

Jimmy WEBSTER– TAS– Mid/Def – 18yo – 188cm
Jimmy is one that could be considered at our first pick.

He's a very smooth moving left footed outside mid from Tassie, who's very athletic and long. He's got a lovely wingspan and very good leap, which makes him another with the ability to cause mismatches on the wing. He wasn't quite right at DC, so don't worry about the 3.00 20 meter. He's also nice and agile and finished top 10 in the kicking test.

And that's his real advantage in this draft, he uses the footy very well, runs and carrys and delivers. He's a good decision maker, but needs to get more of the footy and impact the game more. He's a little in and out and his endurance isn't yet up to scratch. As an outside mid, he needs to get a greater ability to find loose ball and to run all day. Not to mention weight wise he's still a while off. Probably another 2 year prospect here, but s**t, beggers can't be choosers in this draft and he's got a lovely skil set. Watching him can be like poetry....when you see him.

May come into contention at 27, but more likely at 41 if he isn't gone.

Draft Range – 27-46

If at Pick 64:

It’s unlikely we pull the trigger here, only if there’s a slider from relatively high on Rendell’s list will this be used. More likely, we’ll enter the PSD with an eye on something specific. We’ll go away and do due diligence and look at both the draft remainder and the more likely mature age players. I’d obviously consider those who I’ve mentioned at earlier picks as well.

Lee SPURR has created a lot of buzz around this pick (on our board….). He’s probably well known enough around these parts to bother on a write up. Sometimes he looks a bit like the wheels are spinning and he just can’t relax enough to play, but he’ll be one to create interest come draft day.

Jack FROST is another - Refer to favourite’s write up.

Rookie Draft thoughts early:

Of those who I don’t think will go, here’s a taste of names that should be around the RD. I’ll expand further on these blokes closer to the RD.

Sam DWYER

Patrick ROSE

Darren PFEIFFER

Brendon AH CHEE

Max OTTEN

Mark BAUGLEY

Sam CHRITCHLEY

Liam HOY

Jarryd CACHIA

I can see us selecting none of the forementioned players, but alas, it's good to have a think about it.

Great write up. What do you think of Sam Kerridge? I think he is the sort of player Rendell could be looking at for our first pick.

Seriously WALL-e, do you sleep? Amazingly deep analysis. Without blowing to much smoke up your ass (no homo), you should seriously be a proper footy journalist. Waaay better than f***ing John' I've never been out of Vic' Ralph and the like. One question though- there seems to be a lack of quality tall power forwards in your write-up. Is this because there are not that many in this years draft or is it that you left them out because you dont think the Crows are interested in any? Also, do you think Rendell will be put off McKenzie because of his lack of pace or do his foot skills more than make up for that?

Seriously though, great stuff- thanks!:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Seriously WALL-e, do you sleep? Amazingly deep analysis. Without blowing to much smoke up your ass (no homo), you should seriously be a proper footy journalist. Waaay better than f***ing John' I've never been out of Vic' Ralph and the like. One question though- there seems to be a lack of quality tall power forwards in your write-up. Is this because there are not that many in this years draft or is it that you left them out because you dont think the Crows are interested in any? Also, do you think Rendell will be put off McKenzie because of his lack of pace or do his foot skills more than make up for that?

Seriously though, great stuff- thanks!:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

On the tall forwards, there isn't a whole lot there. You have Patton, then Kersten, then Elton as a project. Beyond that, there's no real dominant 'pick me' type forwards in my eyes. Or put it this way, Tomlinson's probably the best KPD, I'd have him as 3rd best KPF.

Don't think Rendell gets too put off by lack of pace unless that's an indentifyer in what we want. If we don't target pace, he'll have no issues with McKenzie. I'd go as far to say he's a Rendell type, being a tall mid.

Attention-seeker. :p

Nah, terrific stuff as always mate.

A lot of clubs will have to decide to take boom or bust prospects earlier than they'd like. Not too much elite talent on offer if your name isn't GWS, Port or Brisbane, but there's still some depth extending to around 30-40 and then it drops right off. Any real sliders ala McKernan in 08 aren't going to happen so recruiters are really going to make their money with their picks this year.

I think us having Crouch in the bank really makes this draft a lot better for us. If you view Crouch as a draftee from this draft, seeing as we will probably have a high pick next year anyway (barring a Sando Spike), we've taken a genuine elite midfield prospect with pick 10 who would've gone top four this year. Add Luke Brown on top of that and it's quite staggering to think how well we've already done for ourselves. Of course, losing Cunston and Davis makes things a little less rosy but at least with those two you know it was out of our control (*cough* Curnow *cough*).

In summary, if someone could get Toby Greene to take the wrong flight and end up in Adelaide instead of Brisbane, that'd be dandy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Magnificent write up Wall - E has given posters like me extremely interested in draft but no real knowledge of these kids.
From information received look at Sam Frost being player like to get at 27 if able as would give us another tall option in D with ability to run from defence and fact family was from SA not a bad point either.
With 41 or 46 like to get a player with X factor speed and impact obviously in the 40s would have to be a bit of a gamble but my view worth it .
Also sorry Wall -E cant put a finger on a name amongst your options but a leading Forward as believe that was what Gunston looked good season end was he was prepared to lead not like other forwards. A unlikely full season from Porps would lessen this need

I won't be surprised to hear us call out Lachie Neale's name with pick 46 or in the rookie draft.
I think Rendell rates him.

He's one I wanted to write-up on, but I've only seen him a little bit so I didn't want to comment. Did like what I saw though.

WALL-e are you planning to do a Mock Draft ???

Nah, sorry buddy. Will provide thoughts on players, but a mock draft this year may as well be done by Tony Shaw.

Attention-seeker. :p

Nah, terrific stuff as always mate.

A lot of clubs will have to decide to take boom or bust prospects earlier than they'd like. Not too much elite talent on offer if your name isn't GWS, Port or Brisbane, but there's still some depth extending to around 30-40 and then it drops right off. Any real sliders ala McKernan in 08 aren't going to happen so recruiters are really going to make their money with their picks this year.

I think us having Crouch in the bank really makes this draft a lot better for us. If you view Crouch as a draftee from this draft, seeing as we will probably have a high pick next year anyway (barring a Sando Spike), we've taken a genuine elite midfield prospect with pick 10 who would've gone top four this year. Add Luke Brown on top of that and it's quite staggering to think how well we've already done for ourselves. Of course, losing Cunston and Davis makes things a little less rosy but at least with those two you know it was out of our control (*cough* Curnow *cough*).

In summary, if someone could get Toby Greene to take the wrong flight and end up in Adelaide instead of Brisbane, that'd be dandy.
Haha, yead Curnow....bugger.

I've considered kidnapping Toby GREENE. So much to line about him.

Also sorry Wall -E cant put a finger on a name amongst your options but a leading Forward as believe that was what Gunston looked good season end was he was prepared to lead not like other forwards. A unlikely full season from Porps would lessen this need
Of those mentioned, Murdoch has the ability to play that HFF leading forward role. But Kersten is the main stand out leading forward in this draft, there's no leading forward line Gunston in this draft. Crozier could play a similar role, but he's a bit shorter.

Great read Wall-e:thumbsu: If you had to take a punt and guess who we pick up with our first pick who do you reckon?
It wouldn't surprise me to see FORSTER or McKENZIE if there, if not FROST, but there's something about MURDOCH I'd like. That's if there's no 'sliders'. I'm not sure I narrowed the field much there, but it is very hard to get a handle on. If we still had 10, GREENE.

I'd say Johnston is the ideal Gunston replacement anyway. Different type of player but is similarly versatile as a third option, second fiddle or even a key post and can play forward or back. Gunston has that extra string to his bow in that he could potentially play on a wing but I think we did pretty well there out of a rather awful situation.

I'd say Johnston is the ideal Gunston replacement anyway. Different type of player but is similarly versatile as a third option, second fiddle or even a key post and can play forward or back. Gunston has that extra string to his bow in that he could potentially play on a wing but I think we did pretty well there out of a rather awful situation.
Yep good point. Lynch as well. Still unsure as to where either of those guys will play (fwd/back) but they both have HFF tools if needed.

He’s non-stop, would have been a nightmare child ‘Clay put that down! No don’t tackle to dog’ type thing.

I'm sold :D

Brilliant work as always WALL-e, I've found it difficult to follow the draft as closely this offseason since we don't get a pick until fairly late, so it's great to get a list of players we should keep our eye on!

Bring on Thursday! :p

Great write up Wall-e:thumbsu:
Totally agree that Murdoch is a Del special. He would be behind others as my first pick at 27, but would really be hoping he might be around at 41 or 46.

Great read, and very informative, WALL-e. :thumbsu:

Thoroughly enjoyed it and it'll be interesting to see if the slippery Mr Rendell takes any of those on Thursday, if available.

Great stuff Wall-e. I'd like to know how many times you smashed your head against the wall trying to figure out where player X will go in the draft, it's a nightmare.

Fair assessment on the lads. I was curious as to what your thoughts on Merrett was. I get the feeling that we're really stocking up on some strong mids, and that's what we need at the moment (Crouch, and Brown are both pretty strong). Also with Otten getting some form back, and getting stronger, it seems he's going to finally make a transition to the middle. However, I tend to think we're lacking some genuine outside speed. Unless Tambo is played in that area, we really just have Dmac (I don't think wing is the best position for Smith, and Shaw would be a beauty, but he needs to get his body right first).

Merrett intrigues me a fair bit. I see a fair bit of similarity to Pittard, and at 41/46 he might well worth it considering he's speed, like most of the guys in this draft, kicking isn't elite, but it's better than average, and with the change in our training regime, seeing Dmac and Smith put on size I'm sure we won't have too many skiny lads running around our club much longer.

The other guy who I wouldn't mind at 41/46 (For some reason I have a feeling we're going to call out Justin Clark at 27) is Jack Crisp, the boy has a fair bit of 'Umph' about him, with a bit of X and Hunt factor, and I know how much we love recruiting mids/utilities who are strong over head marks, skills aren't the greatest, but hey it's pick 41/46, but there is tools to work with, he just needs to learn to compose himself and and his disposal will improve.

Tough times to be a recruiter in this draft, but MR has it in the bag, with Crouch and Brown on deck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back